Philips GA-222 tonearm cycles off record at start

lets make things better
kenfromboston
United States of America

Philips GA-222 tonearm cycles off record at start

Post by kenfromboston » 15 Feb 2019 06:35

Hi,

I have a Philips GA-222, and recently, when I hit "Start", the tonearm correctly moves to the start of the record and drops properly. But when the stylus makes contact with the record, the "Start" light doesn't go out, and after maybe 3 seconds, the tonearm raises and returns to the rest. Since "Start" is still lit, the tonearm again moves to the start of the record, the stylus makes contact, and after 3 seconds, it returns to the rest, repeating in an (almost) endless cycle. When the stylus is on the record, the "Start" light usually flickers a bit, but stays lit. This problem doesn't always happen, though. Just now, I let the tonearm cycle, and after probably about 30 cycles, the "Start" light went out, and the record played through fine, with the tonearm moving back to the rest at the end of the record, as it should. I have the service manual, but I'm not sure what actually triggers the "Start" light to go out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

kenfromboston
United States of America

Re: Philips GA-222 tonearm cycles off record at start

Post by kenfromboston » 04 Mar 2019 05:51

I believe that I've fixed this problem. The final paragraph in the section of the GA-222 Service Manual, available on this site, states:

"At the end of the starting cycle, stop wheel 86 reaches the stop position of control disc 83. The resulting movement of bracket 85 allows mute switch 79 and reset switch 80 (SK-3) to open. The pickup signal is no longer short-circuited, and teh motor speed is now determined by the speed control circuits"

This gave me a clue as to where to start looking for for the cause of the problem. Strangely, when I looked the components of my turntable, they didn't appear to be located in the same general area as shown in the diagram on page 6 of the manual. I was able to locate "bracket 85", though, and by manually moving it, I noticed that it was activating a double switch made of three parallel copper strips. The movement of "bracket 85" caused two switches to close in rapid sequence, with one of the copper strips making contact with what appears to be the "main" strip, followed by the third strip. Everything looked fine, but since I noticed that the "Start" light on the turntable panel was flickering during times when it should have gone out, I thought that maybe there was something on the copper strip switches that was preventing a good electrical contact. I lightly sanded the contact area of the "main" copper strip with fine-grade sandpaper, and ended with a single spray of WD-40, mainly to clear away any residue from the sanding operation. The turntable has been working fine since I did this. I hope that this might help someone else in the future who encounters a similar issue.

Ken

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 04 Mar 2019 06:29

We, and anybody "in the know" frown on WD40 use in anything electronic.
It's not proper for such things, and can do damage as well.

kenfromboston
United States of America

Post by kenfromboston » 07 Mar 2019 00:31

Spinner45,

Point taken. Considering that this switch consisted of three copper strips that were pressed together to make contact, what would the recommended product be to remove minor sanding residue and to maintain the electric conductivity of the switch? I had DeoxIT, but felt that its "cleaning" components might cause damage in the case of overspray.

Thanks,

Ken