Philips GA 202 - transit screw question

lets make things better
Phil_Reid
England

Philips GA 202 - transit screw question

Post by Phil_Reid » 26 Apr 2019 09:44

Hi,

I'm restoring a Philips GA 202 (my 1st project), and have just installed two new belts. Everything works fine, but there is just one issue - the deck 'hangs' slightly to the left. By 'hangs' I mean that if you look at the transit screw holes, they are slightly out of line. When I switch the turntable on, there is a slight 'ch ch' rubbing noise. Now, if I temporarily put two screws in the transit holes, the deck comes into line and the sound disappears.

According to the instruction manual there is a transit locking wingnut and a single transit screw (marked on the diagram with an 'x'). My deck appears to need a wingnut and two transit screws. When I got the turntable it did not come with any transit screws / wingnut. So, when in use, should the deck have any loosened transit screws in place, or are they removed completely? If I loosely install two replacement screws, will that stop the floating mechanism from working as it should?

Any other suggestions welcome.
I'm actually surprisingly impressed with this turntable.

Thanks...

nat
long player
long player

Re: Philips GA 202 - transit screw question

Post by nat » 27 Apr 2019 18:39

The springs of the suspension may be slightly shifted. Sometimes you can twist or shove them. And if their is damping foam in the springs, check to see that they are all relatively the same.
I believe the manual is in the library here and it might have useful information.

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 27 Apr 2019 18:48

I looked at the manuals, and there does appear to be a note on adjusting distance from motor mount to what I assume is the subchassis - the manual, particularly the exploded parts drawing, are not models of clarity.

Phil_Reid
England

Post by Phil_Reid » 01 May 2019 12:47

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried twisting and moving the damper springs but it made no difference.

However, I have actually just realised that item 97 - plug (4822 462 40199) is missing, and I think that this may have a function in centralising the sub-chassis. The challenge now is where on earth I can get one, or at least find out what size it is!

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 01 May 2019 13:48

Find our member Japi Roelofs ask him he is an expert and he is Dutch and as such knows a bit about Philips and knows how to find the parts you need plus he has Philips expertise. :D

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 01 May 2019 16:07

Thanks for the kind words Pauw. I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I did work on a fair number of Philips turntables.

I actually have a 202 waiting to be fixed. A quick glance under the platter shows that part # 97 is missing on mine too. But I did see the part on other models. It is an hourglass-shaped piece of foam, I guess you can compare it to one of those yellow foam earplugs. After so many years they just crumble to bits, so you'll have to make up something yourself. The aforementioned earplug just might be the thing. You'll need to find a way to make the middle section a bit thinner though, so it resembles an hourglass. Perhaps a bit of heat, the tip of a soldering iron maybe? I don't have any of those plugs around at the moment so I can't give you more advice I'm afraid...

Now that I think about it, maybe the hourglass shape wasn't there in the first place, it might have been the combination of pressure and time that made it look that way? In that case a simple piece of foam rubber should do the trick.

Phil_Reid
England

Post by Phil_Reid » 01 May 2019 17:51

Japi Roelofs wrote:
01 May 2019 16:07
Thanks for the kind words Pauw. I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I did work on a fair number of Philips turntables.

I actually have a 202 waiting to be fixed. A quick glance under the platter shows that part # 97 is missing on mine too. But I did see the part on other models. It is an hourglass-shaped piece of foam, I guess you can compare it to one of those yellow foam earplugs. After so many years they just crumble to bits, so you'll have to make up something yourself. The aforementioned earplug just might be the thing. You'll need to find a way to make the middle section a bit thinner though, so it resembles an hourglass. Perhaps a bit of heat, the tip of a soldering iron maybe? I don't have any of those plugs around at the moment so I can't give you more advice I'm afraid...

Now that I think about it, maybe the hourglass shape wasn't there in the first place, it might have been the combination of pressure and time that made it look that way? In that case a simple piece of foam rubber should do the trick.
Thanks for the comments; I will try and find a suitable piece of foam. Do you think that this has the function of keeping the main and sub-chassis aligned?

Phil_Reid
England

Post by Phil_Reid » 01 May 2019 18:23

I have just found some unused foam earplugs in my garage, pressed one into the hole, and it seems to work perfectly.
Just one problem; it is a fluorescent pink colour!

Many thanks for everyone's help.

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 02 May 2019 08:48

That's good news.

I'm not really sure if the foam piece is there to keep the subchassis aligned. There's tension on one side from the belt, pulling it towards the motor, but there's a spring on the other side that pulls in the opposite direction, and that should keep it aligned. My guess is that the foam piece is there to prevent the subchassis from shaking/shuddering upon startup. I checked the Dutch Philips forum but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Phil_Reid
England

Post by Phil_Reid » 09 May 2019 09:59

Japi Roelofs wrote:
02 May 2019 08:48
That's good news.

I'm not really sure if the foam piece is there to keep the subchassis aligned. There's tension on one side from the belt, pulling it towards the motor, but there's a spring on the other side that pulls in the opposite direction, and that should keep it aligned. My guess is that the foam piece is there to prevent the subchassis from shaking/shuddering upon startup. I checked the Dutch Philips forum but couldn't find a definitive answer.
Do you have a photograph of the original hourglass-shaped piece of foam?

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 09 May 2019 11:10

Phil_Reid wrote:
09 May 2019 09:59

Do you have a photograph of the original hourglass-shaped piece of foam?
Unfortunately no, the ones I did see crumbled to bits when I touched them...