Philips GA 212: Suddenly Starts Playing too Fast

lets make things better
Extra Fox
United States of America

Philips GA 212: Suddenly Starts Playing too Fast

Post by Extra Fox » 24 Nov 2019 04:55

Short Version
I need help diagnosing why my Philips GA 212 starts playing really fast after playing normally for a while.

Long Version
My father recently gave me his old GA 212 and a bunch of records he had acquired in his younger years. He told me that he quit using the player because the speed control quit working and it played too fast.

Apart from the original belt having turned to goo nothing seemed terribly wrong with it. All the lights worked and after cleaning off the old belt and replacing it with a new one it seemed to work. It functioned well enough, I could even adjust the speed, and it sounded decent.

Then after sampling a few of the albums, seemingly out of nowhere it started playing really fast. Stopping and restarting did nothing. I could even power it down and resume and it didn't make a difference.

So I disconnected it and brought it back to my work bench to have a look at the circuit board. I know just a small bit about circuitry so I was really just looking for anything obviously blown or bulging menacingly. Nothing looked bad so I put it back together and tried it again.

I did catch a piece of advice here that suggested the 45 RPM had to be adjusted before the 33 RPM. So I tinkered a bit there despite not having a 45 to test with and, unexpectedly, it worked great. I played two sides of the Allman Brother's Eat a Peach album, but upon changing to the third side it started speeding out of control again.

I looked at the wiring schematic around the speed control area, but I'm fairly well out of my depth there. So right now my theory is that something is happening over time while it's powered on that's causing it to lose the ability to regulate the speed. Perhaps a trimmer or another resistor is shorting out at a certain temperature?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. I'm dying to hear some more of these albums.

Ramjet

Re: Philips GA 212: Suddenly Starts Playing too Fast

Post by Ramjet » 25 Nov 2019 19:37

Always suspect electrolytic capacitor failure in electronics this old. Many times it is easier just to replace them all than spending time troubleshooting. I have a GA 312 of the same vintage and use it everyday, great machines.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 25 Nov 2019 20:24

Does it have an external speed adjustment speed adjust? Manual shows knob G, as speed adjust. If that is correct, I would clean the control with a contact cleaner, while rotating it quickly back and forth about 10 times.

Extra Fox
United States of America

Post by Extra Fox » 27 Nov 2019 02:17

lenjack wrote:
25 Nov 2019 20:24
Does it have an external speed adjustment speed adjust? Manual shows knob G, as speed adjust. If that is correct, I would clean the control with a contact cleaner, while rotating it quickly back and forth about 10 times.
I can do that and test. When I was peeking at the underside of the board I noted that both the speed adjustment resistors had tracks on them. So I'll give that a shot.
Ramjet wrote:
25 Nov 2019 19:37
Always suspect electrolytic capacitor failure in electronics this old. Many times it is easier just to replace them all than spending time troubleshooting. I have a GA 312 of the same vintage and use it everyday, great machines.
This makes a lot of sense too and it's worth a shot. I reckon I can source those on any of the normal electronic supply sites.

Extra Fox
United States of America

Post by Extra Fox » 14 Dec 2019 22:39

Closing the loop here, it apparently was the electrolytic capacitors. I'm guessing it was the one in the speed control circuit, but I replace both for good measure.

For future reference I replaced the following Capacitors on the main board (I'm using their number in the schematic as a guide);
  1. (C730, Tacho Control) - Vishay, MAL211838479E3, 47uF, 63v
  2. (C734, Power Input) - Nichicon, UFG1V471MHM, 470uF, 35v
In both cases I opted for higher voltage capacitors as I read that was generally okay. I also used a high-temperature capacitor for the speed control on a hunch, but that may not be necessary.

Again, I'm a pretty rank amateur here with electronics, but pieced together what I needed from the schematic and other advice I found around the web.