cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Re: Audio Technica AT-LP1240 or AT-LP120

Post by cafe latte » 20 Mar 2017 07:52

antennaguru wrote:
Nigel Gomez wrote:To 'Cafe Latte',

Just as how you ''don't like the Linn LP12" can't you accept that not everyone is a fan or likes Technics 1200....modded or otherwise?Your system sounds good to you but not all people are going to like your gear even if they haven't heard it.

Have you heard all suitcase cheap Crosley type players?I am sure you hate them even though you have never heard them.I hate them as well but surprise surprise some people will snob your Technics as being cheap with a crap tonearm the same way you bash a Crosley.

Your anecdotes always imply that your modded Technics is the best thing ever....I get tired of hearing about it.

There is always something better.
^^^ This!
Take an enormous chill pill and read post above, you are far to agitated.
Technics is not the best thing ever, I never said that anywhere, and my post above answers that post and politely too, no agitated exclamation marks etc. To answer you more deeply I dont need to hear all types of Crosley to know that the sound through a three inch inbuilt speaker plastic crappy platter and arm aside and the crappy motor and horrible cart. The Technics arm is actually a far better arm than many realize, very low friction bearings far better than many much more expensive arms. Is it a SME 309? No of course not, but you can fit one to a Technics if you really want to and it apparently makes a huge difference. I have not bothered as I have an SP10mk2 to play with which has a truly great arm on it anyway. What is really crazy is some like yourself bang on about a turntable you have not heard modded in the way mine is and you for sure have not heard with my carts, my speakers or my amp, you you know how it sounds, that is very clever indeed. I have said before in this thread that the oil arm damper makes a massive difference and you have never heard one.
As I said on another thread I really believe that the right cart on a turntable the planets can align, ie some kind of symbiosis, I think this can work with any half decent turntable. Proved by the Gas Sleeping Beauty on my Technics and to some degree by Chris (SF) with his Linn sounding great on his hard system the two together just worked (not sure what the cart was but it was so well matched to the Linn).
Now calm down take a deep breath, it is only hifi, not world peace.
If you hate Technics, fine dont buy one buy what you like, you think Lenco sound better, I dont agree I have one here to compare to my Technics, they are more noisy and less speed stable. I like my Lenco it is a fun turntable, but Technics wins easily for me anyway, but like I said buy what you like it is a free world
Happy calm thoughts..
Chris

Issuesman666
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by Issuesman666 » 20 Mar 2017 20:50

cafe latte wrote:
antennaguru wrote:
Nigel Gomez wrote:To 'Cafe Latte',

Just as how you ''don't like the Linn LP12" can't you accept that not everyone is a fan or likes Technics 1200....modded or otherwise?Your system sounds good to you but not all people are going to like your gear even if they haven't heard it.

Have you heard all suitcase cheap Crosley type players?I am sure you hate them even though you have never heard them.I hate them as well but surprise surprise some people will snob your Technics as being cheap with a crap tonearm the same way you bash a Crosley.

Your anecdotes always imply that your modded Technics is the best thing ever....I get tired of hearing about it.

There is always something better.
^^^ This!
Take an enormous chill pill and read post above, you are far to agitated.
Technics is not the best thing ever, I never said that anywhere, and my post above answers that post and politely too, no agitated exclamation marks etc. To answer you more deeply I dont need to hear all types of Crosley to know that the sound through a three inch inbuilt speaker plastic crappy platter and arm aside and the crappy motor and horrible cart. The Technics arm is actually a far better arm than many realize, very low friction bearings far better than many much more expensive arms. Is it a SME 309? No of course not, but you can fit one to a Technics if you really want to and it apparently makes a huge difference. I have not bothered as I have an SP10mk2 to play with which has a truly great arm on it anyway. What is really crazy is some like yourself bang on about a turntable you have not heard modded in the way mine is and you for sure have not heard with my carts, my speakers or my amp, you you know how it sounds, that is very clever indeed. I have said before in this thread that the oil arm damper makes a massive difference and you have never heard one.
As I said on another thread I really believe that the right cart on a turntable the planets can align, ie some kind of symbiosis, I think this can work with any half decent turntable. Proved by the Gas Sleeping Beauty on my Technics and to some degree by Chris (SF) with his Linn sounding great on his hard system the two together just worked (not sure what the cart was but it was so well matched to the Linn).
Now calm down take a deep breath, it is only hifi, not world peace.
If you hate Technics, fine dont buy one buy what you like, you think Lenco sound better, I dont agree I have one here to compare to my Technics, they are more noisy and less speed stable. I like my Lenco it is a fun turntable, but Technics wins easily for me anyway, but like I said buy what you like it is a free world
Happy calm thoughts..
Chris
Obviously you don't read.I HAVE a TECHNICS which has been in our family since the late seventies and I still listen to it as a secondary turntable,I listened to Relayer by Yes on it today.Where did you jump to conclusions that I hate Technics?

I suppose now you'll say my unmodded ,belt driven Technics SL 210 is crap as well.It has an excellent stylus on it and it sounds wonderful TO ME.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 20 Mar 2017 22:38

Nigel,
My last post was not aimed at you, your posts to me was nothing but respectful, I already replied to your post. I was explaining a few things to the other agitated member (see above). I actually think unmodded with the right cart Technics sound great, but they sound even better with an arm damper. Stock standard they are fine though, but the arm must be a bit lively or something as the damper makes rather big gains, more so with better MC carts. On a side not recently as I said on another thread the planets aligned using my Gas sleeping beauty on my Technics. This really got me thinking we advise this or that TT to people, all good and we say this sounds good this does not, but all carts sound different ie excell in different area compliance excluded. My thought is all turntables will sound different (good well make I am talking about) and finding that right cart that matches that TT ie a soft TT might like a hard cart for example and vica verca. With this in mind I wonder how many turntables can sound great? How many are just badly matched to their cart?
My Technics for example has always sounded great, but with the Gas it stunning. My Sp10 seems to like the Decca best, but I have not tried all my carts yet.
Cheers
Chris

Erin1

Post by Erin1 » 23 Mar 2017 04:33

antennaguru wrote:
H. callahan wrote:What would you say about the speed stability of the quartz Technics?
The Technics couldn't carry a tune as well as the other turntables, didn't sound as natural as the other turntables, and listening to the Technics made us want to go back to listening to the other turntable it was being compared to - with that one exception of the QRK.
I don't have much respect for sighted listening tests. I think a blind test would have been so much better.

Before the test did you do a survey of each participant, and ask them if they have any biases towards or against any particular turntables or drive systems, and if they had previously had a bad experience with any turntables that might affect thier judgement during this listening session?

"couldn't carry a tune" is a description I don't understand at all. I can't relate this to anything I've ever experienced.

To me your description of the sound does not specifically highlight any fault with any of the turntables.

To me, audible rumble is a fault. Bearing noise is a fault. Tonearm bearing chatter is a fault, things like that can be heard.

I respect that you and your audiophile aquaintances were able to give a subjective preferential rank to the turntables in your test, but you werent able to describe any specific fault with the Technics. I think I read another one of your posts in this thread where you said the Technics didnt make you want to get up and dance, or something to that effect.

That is something that I've heard people say about digital audio. I know that that digital audio is ruthlessly accurate, and highly detailed. Perhaps the Technics is also ruthlessly accurate and highly detailed? Its not a sound that everyone likes, but I don't think its a wrong sound.

If you put guys who all own valve amps in a room with a transistor amp, all they do is complain and moan that it sounds terrible. They are biased. They have an aural memory of what they think music should sound like through a valve system, and transistors sound different. So they complain.

Audio is so subjective and personal that there is no one system or one piece of equipment that is universally loved, or that everyone agrees is "the best".

antennaguru
broken record

Post by antennaguru » 25 Mar 2017 03:16

Blind audio testing has never been proven to be any more accurate than sighted audio testing. Please go back and read the past 40+++ years of The Absolute Sound, Stereophile, etc. I love how there's always a blind testing crony that comes out of the woodwork to espouse blind testing despite the fact that blind audio testing has NEVER been the mainstream standard. No disrespect intended for anyone that is sight impaired.

The standard we used was to recreate the sound of live music as heard in a live space. Myself and one of the other listeners have attended numerous live concerts in Carnegie Hall in NYC and several of the records we listened to and compared were actually recorded live in Carnegie Hall. Some of the others had never been to Carnegie though, but they too are regular live concert goers. Apart from some famous music venues I more frequently go to a smaller more intimate old fashioned theatre style concert hall in a smaller city on a monthly basis and have regular seats two rows ahead of the mixing panel, center orchestra, and maintain a solid feeling for what live music sounds like. Recreating as much as possible of what live music sounds like in the home audio room is the standard myself and the others used.

Have you ever asked yourself if maybe the basic reason that many audiophiles tend to display a pattern of agreement that the Technics SL12XX turntable is a more mid-fi performance oriented turntable that doesn't sound as good as many higher end, higher quality, more expensive turntables, is that it's the truth? Well that was the truth of this extensive comparison and the universal agreement of everyone there.

http://audiophilereview.com/audiophile- ... audio.html

http://www.anstendig.org/ABTesting.html

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 25 Mar 2017 07:27

antennaguru wrote:Blind audio testing has never been proven to be any more accurate than sighted audio testing. Please go back and read the past 40+++ years of The Absolute Sound, Stereophile, etc. I love how there's always a blind testing crony that comes out of the woodwork to espouse blind testing despite the fact that blind audio testing has NEVER been the mainstream standard. No disrespect intended for anyone that is sight impaired.

The standard we used was to recreate the sound of live music as heard in a live space. Myself and one of the other listeners have attended numerous live concerts in Carnegie Hall in NYC and several of the records we listened to and compared were actually recorded live in Carnegie Hall. Some of the others had never been to Carnegie though, but they too are regular live concert goers. Apart from some famous music venues I more frequently go to a smaller more intimate old fashioned theatre style concert hall in a smaller city on a monthly basis and have regular seats two rows ahead of the mixing panel, center orchestra, and maintain a solid feeling for what live music sounds like. Recreating as much as possible of what live music sounds like in the home audio room is the standard myself and the others used.

Have you ever asked yourself if maybe the basic reason that many audiophiles tend to display a pattern of agreement that the Technics SL12XX turntable is a more mid-fi performance oriented turntable that doesn't sound as good as many higher end, higher quality, more expensive turntables, is that it's the truth? Well that was the truth of this extensive comparison and the universal agreement of everyone there.

http://audiophilereview.com/audiophile- ... audio.html

http://www.anstendig.org/ABTesting.html
I dont know why I am bothering typing this, but what the hell.. Blind testing has actually been proven numerous times, it normally goes like this.. Not blind everyone hears massive differences between this or that cable or component, the big fat expensive cable for example is fuller better this or that blah blah. Then same people same test blind and now equal numbers prefer the different types of gear, ie half prefer the expensive fat cable and half prefer the junky stuff. These test have been done so many times I am not referencing any as a google will pull plenty up. I did one myself with my good departed friend and blind he no longer picked his fav speaker cable. Perception bias is a huge thing and it really exists whatever you may think, tests must be blind to be real. This has been proved again and again..
Re Technics you make out that like everyone thinks they are only a mid range TT even modded, well again google is your friend, that is not true either, modded may people think very highly of the humble Technics and many people fit arms like the sme309 and higher to a Technics, this arm costs more than the Technics does by a big margin people do this because the motor unit is worth the effort.You perception bias is probably making you think otherwise. You know a great deal about modded Technics turntables but I say again you have not heard one with a kab damper, or a kab psu with strobe disable, or one with any of my carts, but you know what it sounds like!!
Man you are clever!
I dont know why I bothered I know I am " Knocking on wood"
Chris

FileFixer

Post by FileFixer » 25 Mar 2017 16:40

Sorry guys what I ask but is that this topic named as "Audio Technica AT-LP1240 or AT-LP120"?!

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 25 Mar 2017 17:43

I believe that we can state that the Technics 1200 is a better turntable than both the AT-LP1240 and AT-LP120. :) A 2nd hand 1200 can be an alternative to the AT-turntables.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 25 Mar 2017 21:33

raphaelmabo wrote:I believe that we can state that the Technics 1200 is a better turntable than both the AT-LP1240 and AT-LP120. :) A 2nd hand 1200 can be an alternative to the AT-turntables.
Second hand prices of the Technics have risen sharply, I dont think you can get a used Technics for AT money, not easily anyway..
Chris

FileFixer

Post by FileFixer » 25 Mar 2017 22:09

Before then I bought AT-LP120 i`m look on used SL1200 but price for used SL1200 in not good condition is double then new AT-LP120. Is it SL1200 double better then AT-LP120, I dont think that SL1200 is double better then AT-LP120.

macnoob
long player
long player

Post by macnoob » 25 Mar 2017 23:43

There are lots of Technics direct drive tables that are of equivalent quality to the 1200 but don't have the DJ Cachet. Around $200 can get you a great SL of your choice.

FileFixer

Post by FileFixer » 25 Mar 2017 23:54

Try this in Croatia. ;) :)

macnoob
long player
long player

Post by macnoob » 26 Mar 2017 00:02

Even in Croatia it's probably easier to find a Technics DD if you have more options than a 1200. I'm sure they're not $200 though.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 26 Mar 2017 07:45

macnoob wrote:There are lots of Technics direct drive tables that are of equivalent quality to the 1200 but don't have the DJ Cachet. Around $200 can get you a great SL of your choice.
But they are not as easy to mod and you wont get them for 200 bucks.
Chris

macnoob
long player
long player

Post by macnoob » 26 Mar 2017 15:59

I've had a few through here, $200 (Cdn) is the most I've paid - that was for my SL-1700 (Keeper). You're right, the mod options are all for 1200 - some will work on other SLs I assume. I keep mine stock so not an issue for me.