Tonearm too high

always listening
vinylkim

Tonearm too high

Post by vinylkim » 07 Jul 2015 09:45

Hi everyone, just new here......I recently bought an Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB turntable. I was setting up the tone arm height so that the arm is level to the surface of the record......but at lowest setting the arm is still not level.......would it be a good idea to use 2 platter mats so that tome arm would be level.......the mat that comes with the turntable is a felt one.....but i have a heavier rubber mat from an old turntable.......my question is would the extra weight of the rubber and felt mat be too mush for the motor?

willboy

Re: Tonearm too high

Post by willboy » 07 Jul 2015 10:29

It could be. Don't think I'd risk it if I was you..might be a better idea to use two felt mats.

Paraneer
long player
long player

Post by Paraneer » 07 Jul 2015 12:02

What cartridge are you using that would cause your tonearm to angle down onto the record instead of being parallel after using the height adjustment? Since you say you recently bought this TT, it comes factory equipped with an AT-95E that should work well with the TT and its supplied platter mat. Do you have something different?

vinylkim

Post by vinylkim » 07 Jul 2015 12:33

hi paraneer and willboy ...thanks for the prompt replies....@ willboy some sources say to replace the felt mat with a rubber one to help dampen the sound...but it maybe makes sense to use two felt ones instead........@paraneer its an AT-95E but the tonearm still angles down even at lowest height setting

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England

Post by cats squirrel » 07 Jul 2015 13:23

something doesn't sound (sorry) right, either Technics have made an error with their choices, or something is stopping the arm being correctly set. A fix could be to put a spacer between cartridge and head shell.

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 07 Jul 2015 13:39

These turntables are sold new with AT95E already installed. So the arm height should not be an issue. If yours cannot be set up properly it must be defective, and you might want to return it...

vinylkim

Post by vinylkim » 07 Jul 2015 14:31

hi cats.....good idea about the spacer....but i think spacer would need to be maybe be made of light card or maybe plastic nylon washers (wouldn't want to effect the weight).....any suggestions?

vinylkim

Post by vinylkim » 07 Jul 2015 14:49

Hi Japi......yeah u might be right about it being defective....i cant understand how at the lowest setting the tonearm points down and is still not level.......you have to lift the stylus about 3.5 mm to make it level. but with a rubber mat and a felt mat together then its perfectly level......but worried about the extra weight with the rubber mat......but i know the felt mat is very light...i wonder if the motor could cope with a felt and rubber mat together?

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 07 Jul 2015 14:59

If a turntable motor can't cope with a rubber mat it's not worthy of the name motor :D
So I wouldn't worry about that.

vinylkim

Post by vinylkim » 07 Jul 2015 15:14

cheers Japi.......yeah i think ur right....i just emailed audio technia to see what they say........will post their reply here. I was just wondering if there were any tolerance measurements like will it do much harm if tonearm angles down a little like mine (you have to lift my tonearm only 3.5mm at stylus to make it level)

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 07 Jul 2015 15:15

vinylkim wrote:Hi everyone, just new here......I recently bought an Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB turntable. I was setting up the tone arm height so that the arm is level to the surface of the record......but at lowest setting the arm is still not level.......would it be a good idea to use 2 platter mats so that tome arm would be level.......the mat that comes with the turntable is a felt one.....but i have a heavier rubber mat from an old turntable.......my question is would the extra weight of the rubber and felt mat be too mush for the motor?
Are you sure the arm cannot go any lower at the back? If so, send the deck back. You should not have to pile mats to achieve the right VTA. The deck should have left the factory already set up for the cartridge it came with, such issues show the deck was not properly QCd and there might be other issues with it.

Send it back and it might teach them to be more careful in the future, there are far too many threads involving these turntables bought new. Why should the owners have to resort to bodge ups?

A felt mat over a rubber mat, or vice versa,or two felt mats will not do much good for a turntable which needs all the help it can to sound decent.

vinylkim

Post by vinylkim » 07 Jul 2015 15:42

Hi copperhead.......I bought it online ....and hate the thought of having to send it back......hence all the talk about mats etc....hoping for a simple solution in a way......it will be interesting what audio technica have to say about it. I thought the tonearm should have been able to go lower........perhaps audio technica might send me their best cartridge (AT-440MLa)(http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATC05.html) which might be a little bigger and we are all happy then....what you think?

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 07 Jul 2015 16:51

vinylkim wrote:Hi copperhead.......I bought it online ....and hate the thought of having to send it back......hence all the talk about mats etc....hoping for a simple solution in a way......it will be interesting what audio technica have to say about it. I thought the tonearm should have been able to go lower........perhaps audio technica might send me their best cartridge (AT-440MLa)(http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATC05.html) which might be a little bigger and we are all happy then....what you think?
Hello,
I don't know what their answer to your query was, might well be there is a perfectly good explanation.

If they are saying that the issue you mention is a design feature of that model, then you will have to decide if this is a problem for you if and when you decide to change cartridges. If, however, they are telling you there is an issue with your particular deck, then send it back.

Many sellers hope the buyers will not send an item back as it's too much hassle to return it. Pretty simple, bang it in a box and wait for a refund or replacement.

Again, there might be a reasonable explanation for your VTA issue, I don't know how they explained this to you.

vinylkim

Post by vinylkim » 07 Jul 2015 17:10

Here is Audio Technica's reply to my e mail- "Thanks for the email. Your turntable is not defective – unfortunately this is basically a design constraint, found in most turntables around this price point – It will not damage your records in any way, and at the minimum height is perfectly ok to play with the AT95e. If you wish to raise the level of the platter you could do this by purchasing a thicker slip-mat."

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 07 Jul 2015 19:06

vinylkim wrote:Here is Audio Technica's reply to my e mail- "Thanks for the email. Your turntable is not defective – unfortunately this is basically a design constraint, found in most turntables around this price point – It will not damage your records in any way, and at the minimum height is perfectly ok to play with the AT95e. If you wish to raise the level of the platter you could do this by purchasing a thicker slip-mat."
Great reply. You would think they would at least make sure their decks work well with the cartridge they come with. Yes, VTA adjustments might not be standard on "affordable" decks, but at least they work with the cartridge they come with.

Doubt the designers there will win any awards.

So, it's a shim or a thicker mat! My advice is to try a cork mat, you can make one yourself from a cork tile and will cost you next to nothing. I have had a look and you can find tiles which are 3mm thick. Perfect, well nearly.

Cork mats work quite well with a variety of decks, much better than a big fluffy pair of felt mats.