New Guy - Introduction

always listening
Lymbo90

New Guy - Introduction

Post by Lymbo90 » 04 Mar 2014 01:44

First and foremost I just want to say how much I enjoy this entire site. Not only the forums but the wealth of useful content.

I've lurked the forums for quite sometime and I'm amazed at knowledge that so many of you have.

I grew up with vinyl (yup, I'm old) but it hasn't been until late 2012 that I got back into the wonder for world of analog. It's been such a joy kicking back during the evenings and weekends to enjoy vinyl. I'm having so much fun collecting and listening to vinyl. I'd give up one of my berries if I would have hung onto the vinyl I collected in my youth. Oh well, live and learn.

Here is where I'll probably get some jeers and jabs. My main listening turntable is the Audio Technica AT-LP1240 and I love it. It's not my office or workshop TT, but my main. All right, go ahead and commence with the funnies.

I'm definitely a member of the 99% and can't swing a $50,000 TT and the uber expensive sound stages, cartridges and such.

I consider myself fortunate to have this turntable, a couple of pretty decent carts (Dynavector 10x5, Ortofon 2M Black) along with a Jolida JD9 MKII preamp. It's vinyl heaven for me.

I started off in 2012 with a ProJect 1.3 and returned it the day I bought it. I won't go into the reasons why. Obviously I wasn't impressed. I then picked up a clean Technics SL-1200 MKII, got laid off and sold it.

I've gone through a handful of cartridges but have found the two that are keepers....until they wear out.

Again, I just wanted to introduce myself and share a little about myself.

Thanks to all of you that run, moderate, maintain and contribute to this excellent site!

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: New Guy - Introduction

Post by Alec124c41 » 04 Mar 2014 05:11

Welcome.
If you have something that you enjoy, that's good.
Can't argue with your choice of cartridges, and the turntable is not a light plastic piece of junk, by any means.
Have you dicovered the alignment protractors , under Tools, at the top?

Cheers,
Alec

Lymbo90

Post by Lymbo90 » 04 Mar 2014 06:54

Alec124c41 wrote:Have you dicovered the alignment protractors , under Tools, at the top?
Cheers,
Alec
Alec, thanks and yes, I sure have.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 05 Mar 2014 18:35

The AT LP-1240 isn't a bad turntable. It's not in the same league as the SL-1200 it tries to compete with, but I've heard/read that it's a bit better than the AT LP-120 that most people tend to gravitate toward when they want a 1200 but can't afford one. (I was one of those people, too! My LP-120 had major issues and I returned it for a refund.)

If your 1240 works properly and sounds great, that's all that matters. :)

One thing that some LP-120 users have done — and I assume this applies to the LP-1240 also — is to completely remove the internal pre-amp. Apparently there is some circuitry in there that can lower the sound quality even when you're using a good external pre-amp, and the only way to resolve this is to remove the internal pre-amp. If you're good with electrical stuff, that might be something to try if you want to eek a bit more sound quality out of your setup.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 05 Mar 2014 19:45

Hi New Old Guy,

Welcome! I'm old too and I have nearly all the vinyl (and shellac) I ever bought.

Hi BMRR,

I don't know what up with Audio Technica phono stages now-days. I have a little AT 770 (Mr. Disc). The internal stage is the only option with it and it sounds fine. OK, for what it is, I'm not selling my KD 500.

Phil
Lymbo90 wrote:First and foremost I just want to say how much I enjoy this entire site. Not only the forums but the wealth of useful content.

I've lurked the forums for quite sometime and I'm amazed at knowledge that so many of you have.

I grew up with vinyl (yup, I'm old) but it hasn't been until late 2012 that I got back into the wonder for world of analog. It's been such a joy kicking back during the evenings and weekends to enjoy vinyl. I'm having so much fun collecting and listening to vinyl. I'd give up one of my berries if I would have hung onto the vinyl I collected in my youth. Oh well, live and learn.

Here is where I'll probably get some jeers and jabs. My main listening turntable is the Audio Technica AT-LP1240 and I love it. It's not my office or workshop TT, but my main. All right, go ahead and commence with the funnies.

I'm definitely a member of the 99% and can't swing a $50,000 TT and the uber expensive sound stages, cartridges and such.

I consider myself fortunate to have this turntable, a couple of pretty decent carts (Dynavector 10x5, Ortofon 2M Black) along with a Jolida JD9 MKII preamp. It's vinyl heaven for me.

I started off in 2012 with a ProJect 1.3 and returned it the day I bought it. I won't go into the reasons why. Obviously I wasn't impressed. I then picked up a clean Technics SL-1200 MKII, got laid off and sold it.

I've gone through a handful of cartridges but have found the two that are keepers....until they wear out.

Thanks to all of you that run, moderate, maintain and contribute to this excellent site!

Lymbo90

Post by Lymbo90 » 06 Mar 2014 00:21

BMRR wrote:The AT LP-1240 isn't a bad turntable. It's not in the same league as the SL-1200 it tries to compete with, but I've heard/read that it's a bit better than the AT LP-120 that most people tend to gravitate toward when they want a 1200 but can't afford one. (I was one of those people, too! My LP-120 had major issues and I returned it for a refund.)

If your 1240 works properly and sounds great, that's all that matters. :)

One thing that some LP-120 users have done — and I assume this applies to the LP-1240 also — is to completely remove the internal pre-amp. Apparently there is some circuitry in there that can lower the sound quality even when you're using a good external pre-amp, and the only way to resolve this is to remove the internal pre-amp. If you're good with electrical stuff, that might be something to try if you want to eek a bit more sound quality out of your setup.
One nice thing about the 1240 is that you don't need to do the pre-amp removal mod. Unlike the 120, the circuitry is totally separate. I actually removed the preamp on my brothers 120 and it did noticeably improve the sound.

Lymbo90

Post by Lymbo90 » 06 Mar 2014 00:23

You're a smarter old guy than me.

Coffee Phil wrote:Hi New Old Guy,

Welcome! I'm old too and I have nearly all the vinyl (and shellac) I ever bought.

Hi BMRR,

I don't know what up with Audio Technica phono stages now-days. I have a little AT 770 (Mr. Disc). The internal stage is the only option with it and it sounds fine. OK, for what it is, I'm not selling my KD 500.

Phil
Lymbo90 wrote:First and foremost I just want to say how much I enjoy this entire site. Not only the forums but the wealth of useful content.

megatrends

Post by megatrends » 07 Jul 2015 12:59

I've read a lot of LP1240 bashing in this group here, granted I've not been here lately but have scrolled through a few threads searching for LP1240 topics.

I've owned mine for almost 3 years now and it is just brilliant with a good cartridge on it. The top surface is painted metal instead of plastic and it has rubber sound deadening on the underside as well as the underside of the platter. With a weight/clamp in use you often times cannot hear anything and in fact sometimes I check to see if I have the power amp on while it starts playing because I can't hear it.

The lift lever is also metal with a metal ball end. I've also has no speed issues to speak of other than the occasional off center pressing which would not matter which turntable you spun it on.

The same tone arm is on the the Stanton turntables, I mean the same exact arm. It is also used on several other turntables.

The point being the LP1240 is a great turntable and I can say that because I use an Technics MK5 and a SL1200, while I am not comparing the turntables to the LP1240 I can tell you that the LP1240 motor is stronger and not by a little bit.

I can also tell you there is NO hum issue whatsoever even in the least with the Audio Technica and the preamp sounds just fine. There isn't anything altering any sound.

I also own an AT-LP120 and that table is mediocre but decent for the money. I would classify the LP120 as a starter table and the LP1240 as a PROFESSIONAL turntable.

Virtually all of the reviews on this website are from NON-owners who are repeating comments and "numbers" with stats rather than actually hearing one.

I think it isn't good advice to recommend buying an old used Technics instead simply because if someone is new to this they are not going to be able to modify a Technics table to play 78s or mess with much of anything else. Truth be told a lot of old Technics tables at this point are in serious need of an expensive refurb before even being worthy.

I paid $406 for my AT-LP1240 and it has been absolutely perfect, sound and durability. It is a quality top notch product.

My Pink Floyd - PULSE Box Set spinning on an Audio-Technica AT-LP1240-USB Professional Turntable with a Shure M97xe cartridge and stylus. Trust me, it sounds gloriously delicious.

The Gryphon

Post by The Gryphon » 07 Jul 2015 14:19

I think the big thing is to enjoy the world of analogue....its not important what you ride; it is the journey, the enjoyment of the music, the fun of learning and the knowledge that you are in a community of like minded people who can get a lot of enjoyment out of an old black piece of plastic and the things that help get the music of it.

Possum12

Post by Possum12 » 16 Nov 2015 05:55

Megatrends: thanks for your evaluation of the LP1240. I've been looking at the 120, Teac, and the higher priced Pioneer. It can be very confusing with all the terrible and great reviews all mixed up. I settled on the 1240 and it'll be here tuesday. The 120 is a good deal and gets high marks for what it is, but I really didn't want the RCA cable soldered to the table, or the cheaper build quality and having to bypass the preamp to get a true direct connection to the tone arm, since I am using my old Denon 720 stereo amp from the 80's that can take MC and MM cartridges. I have an old Technics SL-D1 and while its a great little table, its old, and the damn dust cover hinges both broke last week. You're right, its annoying to read reviews by someone who doesn't actually own what they are reviewing and just repeating fourth hand information thats not even accurate. I just got done reading a post by some poor guy who was told the 1240 doesn't bypass the preamp, so he fiddled with his TT and destroyed it! I didn't want to mess with the electronics so one reason I passed on the 120. Last week I replaced the soldered-in RCA cables on the D1 and it made a huge improvement in sound, but soldering to ancient PC board connections is terrifying. Another big reason to go with the AT1240 was so that I can use my existing head shells I use for the Technics, I really wanted to be able to swap out cartridges of different makes, the Project and others, you can't swap the cartridges out and honestly their entry tables just look cheap, barely sounding any better than the 120 actually from valid reviews. I'll keep my Technics and put new hinges on it, but I think the 1240 is going to be great. I'm not an adiophile lunatic cork sniffer, but have gotten the vinyl bug pretty bad to the point that I started out with the Disk Spin record cleaner, then the Okki Nokki and have just finished setting up an ultrasonic unit, which thankfully relieves me of alot of boring brushing work, as I have hundreds of thrift LP's to clean and sort. You have owned the good old Technics tables, so your great review of this 1240 has put my anxiety to rest here, so thanks for that.

E.Man
long player
long player
Australia

Post by E.Man » 16 Nov 2015 08:19

G'Day. No, I don't see anything to be abused about there. Some fine gear. Especially in your signature. Do you still have all of that ?

kramer
Great Britain

Post by kramer » 11 Aug 2016 20:08

megatrends wrote:I've read a lot of LP1240 bashing in this group here, granted I've not been here lately but have scrolled through a few threads searching for LP1240 topics.

I've owned mine for almost 3 years now and it is just brilliant with a good cartridge on it. The top surface is painted metal instead of plastic and it has rubber sound deadening on the underside as well as the underside of the platter. With a weight/clamp in use you often times cannot hear anything and in fact sometimes I check to see if I have the power amp on while it starts playing because I can't hear it.

The lift lever is also metal with a metal ball end. I've also has no speed issues to speak of other than the occasional off center pressing which would not matter which turntable you spun it on.

The same tone arm is on the the Stanton turntables, I mean the same exact arm. It is also used on several other turntables.

The point being the LP1240 is a great turntable and I can say that because I use an Technics MK5 and a SL1200, while I am not comparing the turntables to the LP1240 I can tell you that the LP1240 motor is stronger and not by a little bit.

I can also tell you there is NO hum issue whatsoever even in the least with the Audio Technica and the preamp sounds just fine. There isn't anything altering any sound.

I also own an AT-LP120 and that table is mediocre but decent for the money. I would classify the LP120 as a starter table and the LP1240 as a PROFESSIONAL turntable.

Virtually all of the reviews on this website are from NON-owners who are repeating comments and "numbers" with stats rather than actually hearing one.

I think it isn't good advice to recommend buying an old used Technics instead simply because if someone is new to this they are not going to be able to modify a Technics table to play 78s or mess with much of anything else. Truth be told a lot of old Technics tables at this point are in serious need of an expensive refurb before even being worthy.

I paid $406 for my AT-LP1240 and it has been absolutely perfect, sound and durability. It is a quality top notch product.

My Pink Floyd - PULSE Box Set spinning on an Audio-Technica AT-LP1240-USB Professional Turntable with a Shure M97xe cartridge and stylus. Trust me, it sounds gloriously delicious.

Totally agree with all of the above, I did however replace the counterweight with an original Technics. Its heavier, plus I think it looks better.
Attachments
10.jpg
(1000.67 KiB) Downloaded 1244 times

drywhitetoast

Post by drywhitetoast » 11 Aug 2016 21:33

megatrends wrote:
I love Gumby.

megatrends

Post by megatrends » 05 Jan 2020 14:04

kramer wrote:
11 Aug 2016 20:08
megatrends wrote:I've read a lot of LP1240 bashing in this group here, granted I've not been here lately but have scrolled through a few threads searching for LP1240 topics.

Totally agree with all of the above, I did however replace the counterweight with an original Technics. Its heavier, plus I think it looks better.
Wow, replacing the counterweight had not occurred to me. Very nice, thanks for posting that although I'm seeing much later.