Problem with Record Player

always listening
gabrielstigmatic

Problem with Record Player

Post by gabrielstigmatic » 21 Apr 2010 03:15

Whenever I hit start it does its normal deal, but then right before the needle goes down it acts as if the vinyl is over and stops. Does anyone know what might cause this and how I could fix it?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 21 Apr 2010 05:05

Does this "record player" carry any more specific identification?

Cheers,
Alec

mysticfred
long player
long player
England

Post by mysticfred » 21 Apr 2010 06:36

The arm return needs some adjustment, a simple turn of a screw should do the trick, but as Alec says a manufacturer name and model would help identify your deck.

gabrielstigmatic

Post by gabrielstigmatic » 21 Apr 2010 07:43

I figured that my specs showed up on here. I filled it out when I registered... Either way, it is an Audio Technica AT-PL50

gabrielstigmatic

Post by gabrielstigmatic » 23 Apr 2010 01:49

Is there anyone who can help me out with this and give me specifics? I have no idea how to adjust the arm return on an AT-PL50.

delcam1n0
long player
long player

Post by delcam1n0 » 23 Apr 2010 18:16

If bought brandnew your dealer should
probably be able to do the adjustment..

Axlinscotland

Post by Axlinscotland » 24 Apr 2010 00:11

Gabriel... Go to the AT section in this forum and create a new topic there. The guys ove there will help u for sure.... Me?? I don't know that tt.

Cheers

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 24 Apr 2010 05:22

gmatic,

There is an Owner's Manual in the VE library:

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/aud ... pl50.shtml

Unfortunately there is no service manual in the library.

If you could be a bit more specific with the operation other than:
right before the needle goes down it acts as if the vinyl is over and stops.
Stops? Does the platter just stop and the tonearm just hangs in the middle of the air? Does the tonearm just return to it's rest position? then the turntable turns off?

Why not shoot a video and post it on utube.

Good luck.

Fred

gabrielstigmatic

Post by gabrielstigmatic » 24 Apr 2010 08:20

If I hit the start button, the tone arm comes out and the platter starts spinning. The tone arm goes to the proper position over the record, drops (hear crackling for a millisecond) and then lifts back up and goes back to the tone arm cradle, and the platter stops spinning.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 24 Apr 2010 15:39

gmatic troubleshootingly describes:
gabrielstigmatic wrote:If I hit the start button, the tone arm comes out and the platter starts spinning.
This is good.

According to page 5 of 9 "Operation" section.....
The tone arm goes to the proper position over the record,
This is also good. Are you describing what happens with a full size LP? What happens when you select the 7" option..... does the tonearm swing in towards the label stops at 3 1/2" from the spindle and then drops?
drops (hear crackling for a millisecond)
This is good, the tonearm should drop and it means that cartridge is operative. The bad? Sounds like the LP is DIRTY.
and then lifts back up and goes back to the tone arm cradle,
This is not good per "Operations" and not the proper location for tonearm pickup. The good part. The auto return function works.
and the platter stops spinning.
The good, this is proper turntable shutdown procedure.

Initial diagnosis?.......

Somehow the "Stop" button is automatically initiating after you push the "Start" button. Is a spring holding up the "Stop" button broken? causing the weight / vibration of the of the "Stop" button to be pushed down? starting the auto return cycle?

What happens if you select the 7" LP size? The same thing? If so, I'd first concentrate on the "Stop" button and the internal linkages around the "Stop" button. If it plays and then lifts up on the leadout groove, then I would look at the "trip" mechanism and why this happens at 12"?

This unit is fairly new. Is it under warranty? If so, you may want to exchange it than go through the effort of fixing / potentially making things worse.

To see what is happening, you will have to open the unit up (possibly voiding the warranty) and remove the bottom. Place the turntable on 4 spacers, ie soup cans of the same size at the turntable feet with mirror underneath (it doesn't have to be full size, you just need to move it around to see the area of interest. Then push the buttons and see what happens. With the unit unplugged, move the tonearm around and see how the auto return "trips" the pickup and return cycle. As it's going to be dark underneath, you can use a flashlight to reflect off the mirror and light the area of interest.

Good luck.

Fred

mkbchi
United States of America

Re: Problem with Record Player

Post by mkbchi » 14 Sep 2019 22:08

Wondering if this issue for the original poster was ever resolved...? I'm having the exact same issue, but whoa, I don't feel comfortable taking the turntable apart. I'm hoping there was a less intrusive solution.... I have the same turntable, the Audio Technica AT-PL50.