Problem with Goldring E3 and AT LP3

always listening
Vinylmoon
England

Problem with Goldring E3 and AT LP3

Post by Vinylmoon » 05 Sep 2019 23:05

Hello, I have an Audio Technics AT LP3 turntable and updated the cartridge from the AT91R for a Goldring E3 about 6 months ago.
I just updated my speakers was trying them at louder volume than normal and noticed excessive speaker movement while playing vinyl even while at low volume (I never removed speaker covers before). This increased with volume and eventually I had a horrible humming noise. I stopped playing and started trying to find what the problem was.
I put my original cartridge on and the speaker movement disapeared.
After research, I discovered that matching a cartridge to an arm is a lot more complex than I originally thought.
On paper the E3 appears similar to the AT cartridge
I really can not see why it wouldnt be compatible.
Any one have any experience with this table and cartridge, Or have any input?
I am now thinking of going for an AT95E or Naga MP110 as I have seen other members mention they were satisfied here. Any one with the AT LP3 and Naga MP110 check speaker movement?
Thanks

Woodbrains
England

Re: Problem with Goldring E3 and AT LP3

Post by Woodbrains » 05 Sep 2019 23:39

Hello,

The gloldring E3 is essentially an AT VM95, so if there is an arm cart mismatch with the E3 there almost certainly will be with the AT95.

Similarly, if others have found the AT 95 to be a good match on this table, then so should the E3. I would look at your set up. Is the turntable close to the speakers? The cart will pick up the sound from the room and this will cause what you describe. Does your phono stage have a subsonic filter, if so try using that too. Move the speakers further away. Make sure the table is on a very solid stand, too.

Others might chime in about cart compliance and your arm compatibility. I am not familiar with your table, but do have an E3 cart which I like a lot. I suspect though that an AT designed table/tonearm should likely work with their carts. Designing a modern table that is not optimum for modern medium compliance carts would be nuts.

Mike.

Vinylmoon
England

Post by Vinylmoon » 06 Sep 2019 09:04

Hi Woodbrains,
Thank you for your quick reply.
This is a funny one, as I previously mentioned, with the supplied cartridge AT91R which has (I believe) the same specs as AT95E it does not have any issues.
So would this not rule out positioning?
Thanks

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 06 Sep 2019 13:46

AT91R was specially designed for that particular turntable. I am afraid that construction of AT-LP3 is so cheap that it will flawlessly work only with that cartridge. For better cartridge you will have to search for one japanese DD table from eighties if you are on a budget.

Vinylmoon
England

Post by Vinylmoon » 06 Sep 2019 14:27

Has anybody successfully used any other cartridge with the LP3?
I bought it as it was supposed to be upgradable :cry:

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 06 Sep 2019 14:56

Hello,

It does say it is compatible with other carts on the AT website, doesn't it? However, it is a fairly cheap an cheerful table, and perhaps upgrading may not yield any sonic benefits anyway. It seems to be designed to play as is to an 'acceptable' standard, but if upgrades are required when the vinyl but bites, the whole table/arm/cart combo really should be changed up to the next level.

You are right that the cart specs are similar. Providing the E3 is not damaged, then you may have fitted it out of alignment. The E3 has an elliptical stylus so will not be at its best if it isn't tracking correctly. I would still move the speakers further away from the table, as this sounds to me the probable cause. You said the problem happened after new speakers were installed. You might be getting some bass resonance that wasn't evident in your first set of speakers. Biggest bass drivers could pick this up when others could not; this is possible. I would look to plugging thee table on a very solid platform/table if it isn't already. Again, vibrations such as footfall or dancing can get exacerbated by the turntable plinth and picked up by these cart and then amplified. Most of this house is low frequency which sets the bass drivers into parascisms. Your old speakers might not have been able to pick this up, new ones perhaps do.

After that check cart alignment. How did you install the cart? It isn't just a screw off old screw on new type thing, there is an alignment that has to be followed. Did you use a protractor or was the table supplied with some overhang gauge or something?

Mike.

Vinylmoon
England

Post by Vinylmoon » 06 Sep 2019 15:42

Hello, thanks again for your help.
I reconnected the old speakers and removed the covers to check and the same thing happens (Excessive movement on both sets of speakers with the E3, but not with AT91R).
There is a printed image in the manual you lay the headshell on to match proper alignment. I have purchased a protractor and had a quick check last night. Both cartridges may be very slightly to far ahead but it is very small margins. I will have a go at correcting to see if it improves at all.
I will also move the speaker away to see if this changes anything.
My full set up is as follows:
AT LP3 connected to an Edwards Audio Apprentice MM pre amp, M-ONE Audiolab amplifier and speakers are KEF Coda 9.2 (Old) and Elipson prestige facet 14F. I also have a Marantz CD6006 UK edition connected to the system.

I bought the Elipson as they were apparently designed to be powered by low powered amps. The M-ONE is a 40W per channel at 8 Ohms and 60W at 4 Ohms.
I have not gone into and great depths to check that everything matches well so I hope I have not got conflicting components.

It is a real shame if this table doesn't accept a cartridge upgrade as it does mention you can on reviews. I know it is cheap but the review on 'what hifi' said it was a great entry level that can be upgraded. I am not expecting to go very high with the upgrade but would be happy to have the E3 or Naga MP110 a few years before changing the unit for something better.

Thanks to all for your input.

https://www.hifichoicemag.com/content/e ... -facet-14f
http://www.hifi-review.com/specs/153522 ... a-9-2.html
https://www.avforums.com/review/audiola ... view.13158
https://www.whathifi.com/edwards-audio/ ... -mm/review
https://www.whathifi.com/audio-technica/lp3/review
https://www.whathifi.com/marantz/cd6006 ... ion/review

Vinylmoon
England

Post by Vinylmoon » 06 Sep 2019 15:45

https://eu.audio-technica.com/turntables/AT-LP3

It has a switch to play MM or MC cartridges so I presume it is designed to play other cartridges.

Vinylmoon
England

Post by Vinylmoon » 06 Sep 2019 15:49

Just for info, the biggest improvement for sound made so far was the Edwards Audio pre amp. This made a huge difference. The Cartridge was a slight improvement and the new speakers have not yet been burnt in.

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 06 Sep 2019 16:28

Hello,

This might be insulting your intelligence, but I don't mean to; have you bypassed the table's built in phono stage when you hooked up the Edwards audido phono amp? Is the table's phono even bypassable, many are not?

TBH a switchable mm mc phono stage on that table is a bit optimistic! You should be able to change carts without major problems, though.
Mike.

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 06 Sep 2019 16:37

Hello,

OK, I just looked at the table specs on line. It does have a bypass able phono stage. Make sure the switch is set to phono, when you use the Edward audio phono stage. If all is well, I'm convinced it is a positioning problem.

Mike.

Vinylmoon
England

Post by Vinylmoon » 06 Sep 2019 18:00

Yes it is switched to phono.
I just adjusted cartridges with protractor, moved speaker a good distance from table and still the same problem.
The only other thing that changes is the weight on the arm. I believe both cartridges are supposed to be set at 2.
I may try to decrease weight on head to see if there is any difference.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 06 Sep 2019 19:11

Your pre-amp, amp and speakers should be just fine. Especially the pre-amp and the amp are very good. Also the CD player is good.
Even if your cartridge is out of alignment or has the wrong tracking force, the speakers should not behave that way. And the E3 is close enough to an AT91 so should work too. I believe in an electrical problem with the new cartridge. Maybe the contacts. Are you using the same headshell or do you have a new one for the E3? It can be an electrical fault with your specific E3.

Vinylmoon
England

Post by Vinylmoon » 06 Sep 2019 19:39

Thanks for your input.
Different headshell. I will try swaping over and will also move the table elsewhere just to test.
I thought about the cartridge having an issue, I bought it online, I will have to check from where I got it..
I can give it to a friend who has a rega planar 1+ to test if I can not find anything else.

jledwards
United States of America

Post by jledwards » 06 Sep 2019 22:03

I have this table. Using a AT95EX and not had any problems. Might consider this cart/stylus.