ATLP120 alignment problems

always listening
RobberOfBostonPlace

ATLP120 alignment problems

Post by RobberOfBostonPlace » 09 Mar 2019 01:39

So I've tried using the Technics gauge which doesn't work because the pivot to spindle distance of the ATLP120 is different from their turntables. I've tried using FileFixer's protractors and was able to get my cartridges aligned with them at one time, but can no longer do so anymore and on top of that have never had any success at all with a two point protractor. I've also tried the Dr. Feickert and the Geo Disc. What could be wrong here? For anybody with this turntable, what did you guys do to align your cartridge on this table?

NewOldVinyl

Re: ATLP120 alignment problems

Post by NewOldVinyl » 09 Mar 2019 04:12

The official Audio-Technica alignment protractor is available here:

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/aud ... -usb.shtml

Make sure your printed copy is to the correct scale. Laminating these protractor printouts makes them much easier to work with too.

NewOldVinyl

Post by NewOldVinyl » 09 Mar 2019 04:28

If price is of no concern, there’s also this:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2248333577

plyscds
United States of America

Post by plyscds » 09 Mar 2019 11:28

First of all, some credentials. I have an AT-PL120 turntable from which the newer AT-LP120USB was cloned. I also have a Technics SL-1800Mk2 and a Technics SL-1210Mk5. I also use the Technics alignment gauge to set up cartridges which all work very well on all of them. This did not happen until I got really fussy about setting up cartridges with my gauge, which came in the box with the Technics SL-B303 I bought in 1981, for what that is worth. The Technics gauge needs a little help in placing a stylus exactly over the forward end of the base as there is often a wide gap between the base and the stylus tip which is a glaring source of potential miscalculation. My workaround for this involves a small adjustable square whose base is placed on the bottom of the alignment tool. The scale itself is adjusted up to just under the stylus tip. Ideally the "point" of the stylus tip should be centered over the back edge of the square's scale. I can use any cartridge set up this way interchangeably with the Audio-Technica and Technics turntables with very good results.
Technics 52mm gauge with aid.jpg
(12.07 KiB) Downloaded 148 times

While I do not use printed alignment grids I have given their usage some thought. There seems to be some mysticism involved in their use which can be confusing. The cartridge is first aligned with either the inner or outer grid and then placed over the other grid. If alignment is off at this point how does one readjust the cartridge in the headshell to make things better? Front or back???

The solution to this puzzle lies in understanding what happens to both long and short sticks as they cover left/right distance as they pivot. First consider a short stick only five inches long. Mount it to a pivot and swing it across a straight distance of say four inches. This stick will move a great many circular degrees as it moves from one end of the short stick to the other.

Next consider a longer stick, say as long as a house - forty feet. Mount this stick to the same pivot and then go move it's unattached end across the same four inches. This long stick only moves a small number of degrees to cover a length of four inches.

This should apply to cartridge alignment. If you have a cartridge aligned perfectly with one of the grids on an alignment gauge and move it to the other grid, how does the cartridge line up with the second grid's lines? Is the cartridge perfectly aligned, or does it's front face point either toward the outer side or the inner side of the grids?

If it points to the area outside either of the grids your cartridge has traveled more degrees than it should have. Traveling high numbers of degrees across a distance happens with short "sticks", so you need to move the cartridge ahead, farther away from the tonearm pivot.

If on the other hand the cartridge points to the area between the grids then the stylus is too distant from the tonearm pivot because traveling a low number of degrees across a distance happens with "long" sticks. You need to move the cartridge to the rear in the headshell.

WinstonRemster

Post by WinstonRemster » 09 Mar 2019 16:07

A blog I found about setting up the AT LP120
http://scouringthebins.blogspot.com/201 ... lp120.html

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 10 Mar 2019 09:42

Since when you cant upload pdf files?

Anyway, download conrads arc protractor:

http://www.conradhoffman.com/chsw.htm (3rd row)

Then use these values:

STPD: 214.150
IGR: 57.5
OGR: 146.05
PCFX: 1.0
PCFY: 1.0

Click Lofgren A, and then click print arc template.

Check scale when printed and then align the cartridge. The line going from the spindle (center record) should connect with the vertical tonearm bearing.