Audio Technica AT1100 counterweight problem

always listening
RaelImperialAerosolKid

Audio Technica AT1100 counterweight problem

Post by RaelImperialAerosolKid » 27 Sep 2018 12:41

Hi all. First time post here.
I have a Thorens turntable with a AT1100 (straight) tonearm. The MC cartridge I used has to be replaced, and I put another on the arm. Unfortunately this new cartridge seems a lot heavier than the previous one. Due to this weight, the counterweight is turned to the end of the counterweight rod. When in 'rest' position, the turntable cover doesn't close anymore.
My question is now whether there exists an additional counterweight and where I could order/buy this, did I do something wrong or might this problem be related to some other issue (damping fluid ?)...
Thanks in advance.
Dirk.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Re: Audio Technica AT1100 counterweight problem

Post by tlscapital » 27 Sep 2018 13:11

Hi Dirk, what Thorens is that you have there ? Is your new replacement cartridge of the high compliance kind ? You could also just add shims on top of your counterweight. But that is not esthetic at all indeed.

Yet one has to be sure that by doing so this specifically light effective mass designed tonearm will deal well with any mass enhancement... Don't know this tonearm so I can't help troubleshoot sides issues if ever.

JaS
engine room
engine room

Re: Audio Technica AT1100 counterweight problem

Post by JaS » 27 Sep 2018 14:40

RaelImperialAerosolKid wrote:My question is now whether there exists an additional counterweight and where I could order/buy this
The standard counterweight should be OK for cartridges from 4-11g. A heavier weight (W-3) was available for the 11-28g range, along with alternative plug-in arm wands, but I think these would be very difficult to find now?

As the arm was designed for heavier cartridges it should be safe to add mass to the current counterweight to allow balancing.
audio_technica_at1100_accesories.jpg
(23.17 KiB) Downloaded 59 times