Audio Technica turntable makes rapid-fire clicking noises

always listening
lenjack
long player
long player

Re: Audio Technica turntable makes rapid-fire clicking noise

Post by lenjack » 14 Sep 2018 18:31

Nothing wrong with belt drive...or direct drive.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 17 Sep 2018 19:25

...When designed, engineered, and built right.

GuitarJamMan

Post by GuitarJamMan » 18 Sep 2018 04:14

Not trying to sound like a snob but the LP120 a junk turntable. For some reason it gained popularity with people who don't know anything about turntables. There are too many things wrong with it and they are a PITA to work on. Get a refund and get a Technics

Fuera del juego

Post by Fuera del juego » 18 Sep 2018 05:27

I'm a novice but I tend to agree. I sent it back and ordered the u-turn with the ortofon 2m red. I hope you consider it a step up.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 18 Sep 2018 09:44

Fuera del juego wrote:
raphaelmabo wrote:U-Turn makes perfectly fine turntables, nice looks too!
https://uturnaudio.com/collections/turntables
Yes I was all set to get the U-turn and then went with the cheaper option (the audio-technica lp 120, refurbished no less). I'm not that hard up for cash and could absorb the pain of buying a more expensive u-turn, but I've read some of the discussions in this forum about the undesirability of belt-driven turntables and so I now I yet again hesitate....
You have both pros and cons and even more with other driven mechanism... Now while I understand that we can have our preferences, our habits and/or uses, we can also have the most "burden" requirement to overcome; A pre-conceptions in beliefs of what it should be and sound like.

I was of the "big & sturdy" kind for decades with the SL-1200s & Co. In a moment of weakness, I was once lend a "vintage" belt drive Thorens on suspended chassis fitted with a knife edge bearing SME tonearm. Quite a change in comparison with this "bouncy & wobbly" combo.

First I got to get use to it's looks and feels, but once I got the needle into the record, I instantly fell in love with it's sound signature. Now it's a new understanding of it's maintenance. But at least it's all DIY doable at all times once you got a good understanding of it's needs. Like the belt change.

Since, I adopted this belt drive turntable. Got over all the little inconveniences in maintenances and settings... and got to get into and onto it to tweak it to death (both being evolutive designs) to look and perform like a charm. This to show that I got over my pre-conceptions of turntables.

But one must first feel confortable with it to enjoy. This is the main purpose of it all in the end. So good luck with your quest ! If you plan to go with direct drive, with your budget, I'd set for second hand 70's or 80's Japanese one. You will have much better build and design for your money's worth.

Slavikcc
Canada

Post by Slavikcc » 18 Sep 2018 13:40

Fuera del juego wrote:I'm a novice but I tend to agree. I sent it back and ordered the u-turn with the ortofon 2m red. I hope you consider it a step up.
You should be good to go with a U-Turn turntable. :)