Static noise when I touch platter or spindle?

always listening
dc_laffpat

Static noise when I touch platter or spindle?

Post by dc_laffpat » 09 Sep 2018 19:55

So I've noticed on my AT-LP120 TT that whenever I touch the platter or the spindle, it makes this static noise through the speakers. Is there anyway to fix this? I do have a Zerostat gun which I use on my records, not sure if that would work on the TT too? I've always been too afraid to use the zerostat while the record is on the TT platter because I don't want to damage any of the electrical components inside the TT. Could it be that the way I de-static records (off the TT) is causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

smee4
long player
long player

Re: Static noise when I touch platter or spindle?

Post by smee4 » 10 Sep 2018 00:38

If it is a continuous noise while you are touching it, then you probably need to earth the TT properly. If it is a single pop when you touch, it is static buildup in you body that is being discharged when you earth yourself via the metal.

dc_laffpat

Post by dc_laffpat » 10 Sep 2018 02:54

smee4 wrote:If it is a continuous noise while you are touching it, then you probably need to earth the TT properly. If it is a single pop when you touch, it is static buildup in you body that is being discharged when you earth yourself via the metal.
It's a continuous noise until I let go. and How would I earth the TT? Just wondering, because the LP120 I have doesn't have a ground wire, apparently it's supposed to be grounded already.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 10 Sep 2018 04:44

dc_laffpat wrote:
smee4 wrote:If it is a continuous noise while you are touching it, then you probably need to earth the TT properly. If it is a single pop when you touch, it is static buildup in you body that is being discharged when you earth yourself via the metal.
It's a continuous noise until I let go. and How would I earth the TT? Just wondering, because the LP120 I have doesn't have a ground wire, apparently it's supposed to be grounded already.
I'd find a suitable screw on the rear and run a small wire to a screw on the amplifier too.

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 10 Sep 2018 06:19

There should be a screw labelled GND on the rear, by the RCA connectors. At least, from the looks of images online. That should connect a wire to a similar screw on your amplifier/preamp