Anti Skating on AT LP120

always listening
WanderingAlbatross

Anti Skating on AT LP120

Post by WanderingAlbatross » 06 Sep 2018 18:33

Hello there! I have been reading these forums a bit before, and getting loads of good advice here.

I was trying to adjust the Anti Skate on my LP120, and I ran in to the same trouble as seemingly everyone else: the anti skate does not seem to be doing that much at normal settings. I also read about different ways to listen and hear if it sounds OK, but I seem to be incapable to do this.....I think. However, I disagree with those who say that the LP120 anti skate does nothing at all. I thought that maaaaybe the inner tracks sounded a bit better if I turned the anti skate all the way up to 7, but might have been my imagination.

I tried some other ways that have been suggested: dropping the stylus between the end grooves (and also on a CD). It rushes inwards very fast at 0, so much so that it skips over the grooves and the inward force looks excessive. Setting it around 1.8 - 2 (the recommended values for my cartridges) are not that much different, although it looks less "brutal" and maybe slightly slower. Sometimes it moves fst enough to skip over the groove. At 7 the stylus moves inward much more slowly and smoothly (on my Bowie China Girl single it actually moved between the grooves on the smooth surface at exactly the same pace as the innermost grooves themselves, so it remained between them).

My ears are not very fine-tuned, but it sounds fine, and visually the movement looks a lot better balanced with anti skate at 7 than at 2. I am thinking about leaving it at 7. Any thoughts?

WanderingAlbatross

Re: Anti Skating on AT LP120

Post by WanderingAlbatross » 06 Sep 2018 21:22

Just thought I should update here by saying that my LP120 now also has less of a tendency to skip forwards