antiskate

always listening
Sterling1
United States of America

Re: antiskate

Post by Sterling1 » 29 Aug 2018 11:17

streetpussy wrote:whew, good to know, thanks. i just got this tt to get into records and would rather just buy a different tt down the road than spend a bunch of money swapping out parts on this one. sorry for being annoying.

so either of these setups will work eh?

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r60 ... ygraka.jpg
http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r60 ... pt5okl.jpg

first setup is the 1/4” cork
second is the AT 1/8” felt mat (bought a 1/8” rubber technics mat i planned on using but would obviously have same tonearm height)
Yes, either mat will work. In fact, as earlier mentioned using the stock felt mat and stock cart/headshell (no shims) presents a tail high headshell even when VTA is set to 0 and this does not degrade sound of records. This is because it appears the A-T cart is not sensitive to stylus rake as are some other carts for best performance. Since it only takes a second or two to change mats, why not experiment; and then, use what you perceive is getting you the most from the groove?

streetpussy

Post by streetpussy » 29 Aug 2018 23:54

Gotcha! Def sounds best with the rubber Technics mat. I was only concerned about the tonearm height because I thought I was damaging my records.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 30 Aug 2018 12:18

streetpussy wrote:Gotcha! Def sounds best with the rubber Technics mat. I was only concerned about the tonearm height because I thought I was damaging my records.
The way I determine turntable/cartridge anomoly is by comparing LP's to same music on CD. If the cartridge is aligned poorly, music will sound distorted from LP while undistorted from CD. Examples of distortion are sibilance, buzzing, or fuzzyness. Poor alignment might make inner groove distortion permanent. I'm not quite sure. I have a 1964 Swingle Singers LP which is greatly distorted even though I'm certain my current cartridge is not producing the inner groove distortion. This makes me think I damaged the record earlier with a cart not aligned correctly, or it might just be a defective recording. At any rate, keep this in mind, your cartridge will be aligned perfectly when you set distance from stylus to headshell tail (that's the black rubber ring on headshell) at 53mm, next adjusting cartridge to be parallel with axis of headshell. That's it. The only other thing might be to shim as you had done to level the tonearm or achieve the same result from adding mat thickness. Once again though the A-T 95 cartridge appears not to be sensitive to stylus rake. Experimentation is the answer; but, whether you shim or not, the stylus angle will never be so sever that it would damage the record unless you were playing records backwards.