Lp-120 Anti-Skate Issues

always listening
camsmafia

Lp-120 Anti-Skate Issues

Post by camsmafia » 15 Aug 2018 02:00

A few days ago I bought this lp-120 new. I set up and everything seemed to be fine. I have a scale and tested it at 2g... so that's what I set the anti-skate to. I decided to test the anti-skate today with a cd. It immediately went to the end of the cd... showing to much force. I messed around with it for a while trying it with different cds and having almost all of them to have a different response. I think it may be from the grooves the stylus has made when testing them but I am not sure. I can get close to being stationary with one cd, but it still sways back and forward a bit. Then on another cd I have used on the turntable it would have a different result.

A demonstration is shown here:

https://youtu.be/130XP44E7qY

Thanks for the help

Spinner45
long player
long player

Re: Lp-120 Anti-Skate Issues

Post by Spinner45 » 15 Aug 2018 03:45

I doubt that the antiskating is defective or wrong.
On a blank disk like that CD, it should skate outward if pressure AND antiskate are set at "2".
You cannot determine with any accuracy skating force by that method.

camsmafia

Post by camsmafia » 15 Aug 2018 03:48

Okay should I leave the anti-skate at 2 if the weight is 2g.... and how can I tell if the anti-skate is working correctly.... I do not have a blank record.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 15 Aug 2018 04:19

camsmafia wrote:Okay should I leave the anti-skate at 2 if the weight is 2g.... and how can I tell if the anti-skate is working correctly.... I do not have a blank record.
Yes, 2 grams with both adjustments.
And a blank (vinyl) disk is also not an accurate way to determine things.
The topic has been done to death elsewhere on this site.
And just enjoy the music without all the fuss.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 15 Aug 2018 09:12

The antiskate issue is a pretty common problem with these turntables. The design of yours AS uses a spring to counter the force and often happens that is incorrectly set at the factory.

As spinner45 pointed out there is no correct way to set the AS. The problem is that when the stylus is playing in the groove the force required is slightly different compared to when using a CD/ blank vinyl. Also the AS will change from the outer to the inner groove so you need to find a good compromise.

With that said use your ears! Try different values and whatever sounds the best to you will most likely be the correct value :D

Gelid
broken record

Post by Gelid » 15 Aug 2018 09:39

Of course, yout turntable should be level before setting anti-skate.

Get a magnifying glass from.... anywhere. Use it to watch how the headshell moves when the stylus is lowered into the groove of the record.

While looking at the front of the headshell, if it shifts to the right, then anti-skate is too high. Likewise, if the headshell shifts to the left at touchdown, then anti-skate is set too low.

The shift happens quick, so watch carefully, and do it several times to be sure of what you are seeing. Adjust the anti-skate dial accordingly and re-check.

If this is too precise for you to perceive without a doubt, then just raise and lower the tracking arm mid-song. The stylus should drop back into the same place it was liften out of... give or take a revolution. (plus-or-minus two seconds, maybe?) That will easily get you close enough.

oldschool1955

Post by oldschool1955 » 15 Aug 2018 16:43

Spinner45 wrote:
camsmafia wrote:Okay should I leave the anti-skate at 2 if the weight is 2g.... and how can I tell if the anti-skate is working correctly.... I do not have a blank record.
Yes, 2 grams with both adjustments.
And a blank (vinyl) disk is also not an accurate way to determine things.
The topic has been done to death elsewhere on this site.
And just enjoy the music without all the fuss.
Maybe not perfect but seems to me it is more accurate than relying on just setting the Antiskate to the same value as the tracking force especially on the lesser expensive AT turntables that are known to have inaccurate or non functioning antiskating.

Slavikcc
Canada

Post by Slavikcc » 15 Aug 2018 18:00

If the anti-skating problem still persists after further troubleshooting as per what others have suggested, you'll have to get a new anti-skating spring from Audio Technica, which will fix the issue.

I know Gelid and a couple other people has gotten this fixed, as per this thread here: https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... &start=120

camsmafia

Post by camsmafia » 16 Aug 2018 01:21

Gelid wrote:
While looking at the front of the headshell, if it shifts to the right, then anti-skate is too high. Likewise, if the headshell shifts to the left at touchdown, then anti-skate is set too low.
I Have been doing this, but it seems like every try it always wants to go to the outer edge of the record a bit. I think I got it as good as I can get... just a little bit under the 2 mark.

Seeing if their should be a little jump back or if I should raise the arm all the way up.

plyscds
United States of America

Post by plyscds » 16 Aug 2018 06:43

Antiskate adjustment is there to help insure that sounds which are supposed to be centered in the sound field are actually centered during playback. Without antiskate assistance overhung tonearms will put most of the sound energy into the left channel. Antiskate when used nudges the tonearm more against the outer (right channel) groove wall hopefully balancing the force both groove walls experience. The best result of an antiskate adjustment is that both groove walls are feeling the same amount of pressure from each of the stylus sides. When this happens, assuming there are no other problems with the sound system, the soundfield will be centered. Numbers on an antiskate dial are a guideline, but what you hear should determine the final setting. A turntable slightly off-level could affect an antiskate setting. And there are other possible complicating possibilities. The important thing with AT-PL120 and AT-LP120 turntables is to let what you actually hear determine the need for antiskate adjustment, not what someone else thinks the tonearm should act like when it isn't playing a record.

Gelid
broken record

Post by Gelid » 18 Aug 2018 05:37

Slavikcc wrote:If the anti-skating problem still persists after further troubleshooting as per what others have suggested, you'll have to get a new anti-skating spring from Audio Technica, which will fix the issue.

I know Gelid and a couple other people has gotten this fixed, as per this thread here: https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... &start=120
Yes. I replaced the antiskate spring with a stiffer one supplied by Audio-Technica.

I am now tracking my AT-440MLb at 1.55g-1.60g, with antiskate set at 1-1/2.

The tonearm needed to be removed, which meant un-soldering the 4 tiny tonearm wires, and a surprising amount of disassembly. With a steady hand and taking pictures along the way, it is definetly do-able and worth the effort. :)