Audio Technica AT-LP3 cartridge upgrade

always listening
br0nski

Audio Technica AT-LP3 cartridge upgrade

Post by br0nski » 04 May 2018 23:09

Hi,

I am a complete novice and just recently purchased an Audio Technica AT-LP3 and very pleased with it even though it’s an entry level TT. I understand upgrading the cartridge is recommended, could someone please help me with picking one?

Thanks

Jdog1958
United States of America

Re: Audio Technica AT-LP3 cartridge upgrade

Post by Jdog1958 » 05 May 2018 08:43

If you are looking at a budget, I think a good place to start would be an Audio Technica AT95E. It's what I chose after I dusted off the old turntable, and I am very happy with it so far. $50 or less. If you are looking for something better, others may have their recommendations.

br0nski

Post by br0nski » 05 May 2018 08:52

Thanks Jdog, I’ve done a bit of research today and toying with the ortofon 2m red cartridge, it seems to be well regarded.

rich12

Post by rich12 » 05 May 2018 15:05

br0nski wrote:Thanks Jdog, I’ve done a bit of research today and toying with the ortofon 2m red cartridge, it seems to be well regarded.
Be careful. Some people can't stand the 2M Red.

br0nski

Post by br0nski » 05 May 2018 17:57

What’s bad / wrong with it?

Ghaasl
United States of America

Post by Ghaasl » 05 May 2018 22:53

br0nski wrote:What’s bad / wrong with it?
I personally haven’t heard this cartridge. But, some say it’s too bright, sibilant, and prone to IGD (inner groove distortion). It depends on what kind of music you listen to, what sound you’re after, etc. Personally, I cannot say enough good things about the Nagaoka MP-110. But, I dig the warm, laid back “analogue” sound. That classic, late 60s-70s sound. I want my records to sound like records, not CDs. That’s just personal preference, though. As far as the AT95E, I cannot comment on that either. If your budget is $100 USD or so, the Ortofon may be the ticket. There are some within these forum pages that’ll tell you the Shure M97xe is also a quality cartridge. Problem there is that Shure is getting out of the phono game this summer. There are countless options and opinions. Do some research, take advice, and most of all, enjoy the music. Welcome to Vinyl Engine!

br0nski

Post by br0nski » 06 May 2018 06:36

Thanks Ghaasi, great info. I have spent the whole day researching different cartridges and my head hurts :)
I think you may have sold me, the Nagaoka MP-110 looks really good, I’m in to to rock music mainly.
Last question if I may, does this cart fit onto the Audio Technica lp3 , it has a straight arm . Thanks

Ghaasl
United States of America

Post by Ghaasl » 06 May 2018 13:45

I cannot say for sure. I know very little about your particular turntable. I know very little about mine, in fact (there’s not much literature, many reviews, info, etc. about my 38 year old Pioneer). I would think it’d be a fairly good match. Don’t take only my word for it, though. Someone here will be able to answer/advise better than I. I just know that the MP110 sounds fantastic in my humble system. I know this muddies the waters a bit further, but an answer will be provided soon. When you do upgrade, take the time to properly align the cartridge. If you’re intimidated by doing that, get help. It is paramount to get it aligned properly. Also, the Nagaoka tracks well at 1.8 grams.

Ghaasl
United States of America

Post by Ghaasl » 06 May 2018 14:09

Ghaasl wrote:I cannot say for sure. I know very little about your particular turntable. I know very little about mine, in fact (there’s not much literature, many reviews, info, etc. about my 38 year old Pioneer). I would think it’d be a fairly good match. Don’t take only my word for it, though. Someone here will be able to answer/advise better than I. I just know that the MP110 sounds fantastic in my humble system. I know this muddies the waters a bit further, but an answer will be provided soon. When you do upgrade, take the time to properly align the cartridge. If you’re intimidated by doing that, get help. It is paramount to get it aligned properly. Also, the Nagaoka tracks well at 1.8 grams.
After doing some quick research online, it looks like the MP-110 will be a good match weight wise. As far as compliance, resonance, and other technical stuff, I’m completely clueless. I say go for it, get it aligned properly, and enjoy.

br0nski

Post by br0nski » 08 May 2018 09:02

Thanks. I’ve ordered the Nag MP-110, fingers crossed on installing and aligning it!

br0nski

Post by br0nski » 16 May 2018 09:11

The cartridge arrived, I installed and aligned it. Played a record and was blown away how good it sounds!
A big thanks for the help, I’m so glad you changed my mind Ghaasl, thanks!

Ghaasl
United States of America

Post by Ghaasl » 16 May 2018 12:13

You’re very much welcome. Enjoy!

lubizian

Post by lubizian » 05 Nov 2018 16:23

hi does it works if i buy this NAGAOKA MP-110H MM Cartridge & Headshell then put into my LP 3 tone arm ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAGAOKA-MP-1 ... 3965879423

is it easy to put this cartridge and headsheel into LP 3 tone arm ? wonder if its just like the original headsheel just turn and pull out or in into tone arm , is it ?

themisto462
Germany

Post by themisto462 » 06 Nov 2018 10:56

lubizian wrote:
05 Nov 2018 16:23
hi does it works if i buy this NAGAOKA MP-110H MM Cartridge & Headshell then put into my LP 3 tone arm ?
It won't work, as these pre-mounted cartridges are not intended for straight tonearms.

Regards.

jman657

Post by jman657 » 12 Nov 2018 00:17

I upgraded my AT-LP3 over the weekend to use the AT95E cartridge. I've never changed a cartridge before and it was all a bit daunting, I was worried I wouldn't be able to set it correctly without am alignment protractor etc and the stylus wouldn't sit in the right spot.
It was all really easy in the end, I simply took the headshell off and measured from the tip of the stylus to a point on the headshell (35mm). Unscrewed the existing cartridge and screwed the new one in place. It would be pretty hard to get the new cartridge on an angle so all I needed to worry about was the 35mm distance. I now know what other users are referring to when they say there's much more detail with this cartridge compared to the stock AT91R that comes with the LP3. Be warned though that some of your favourite albums might sound slightly different with the added detail. It'll sound much better but it's a bit off putting the first time you play a favourite and think "that sounds different".

I went with the AT95E over other cartridges mostly because of price. It was available locally here for $50 where others listed in this discussion were much more and/or needed to be imported. You won't be disappointed with a AT95E but I'm only comparing it to the AT91R.