I Could Never Get a Definitive Yes/No Answer on This One...

always listening
Quartz_Lock10729

Re: I Could Never Get a Definitive Yes/No Answer on This One

Post by Quartz_Lock10729 » 02 May 2018 00:58

Copperhead wrote:
Quartz_Lock10729 wrote:
Copperhead wrote:Just got off the phone with Judge Judy, she could probably fit this case in.
Thanks, Copp!

Love Sheindlin! Actually met her once. :D
You are probably a great guy, but if you take Chris to Judy's courtroom I will have to be on his side. Nothing personal, I have known him for longer and he does have a nice dog and some cattle.
Yes, I know...defend myself against someone calling me a "wee lad," and it's all my fault, and someone else would want to take his side...

Hey, it's all good -- I've spoken to plenty of other members in here privately who don't share your sentiment of necessarily automatically taking his side (for a myriad of reasons) and who would have MY back in a heartbeat.

For the record (no pun intended), I have a nice dog (and love dogs) and am a REALLY great guy, if you got to know me in person and not from behind a mobile device or desktop computer where I'm forced to endure commentary like "Hey! You're aggressive!" and "Hey! You're a wee lad and calling me a liar!" and defend myself against it, only to come across as being the original conspirator behind all this and a super-aggressor.

But alas...it's much easier to take someone's side whom you already know and who is making you assume that the individual defending himself is the "wrong party" in these matters. =D>

Thanks for all your input in the thread itself, Copp!

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 02 May 2018 16:38

I guess that not only do people hear differently they also perceive things differently. Judge Judy is a person I'd never want to meet. Her persona as exhibited on her show completely turns me off.

Calling any adult "wee lad" is certainly denigrating.

Audie

Post by Audie » 02 May 2018 17:07

Glad you have a satisfactory answer. I wasn't that helpful - kept getting a zero in the way.
smee4 actually answered it neatly in his first post on page 1.

I'll mention a few points that may(or not) be helpful: Your arm height is fixed, so You will not be able to adjust VTA with it. ( you could add a spacer at the pillar base).

The line contact type stylus shape cartridge you intend to install will be more sensitive to VTA/SRA than your elliptical stylus cartridge. It is why I suggested it may be better to stick with what you have, for the present. Just a suggestion - you could prove me wrong. :)

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 03 May 2018 00:38

Quartz_Lock10729 wrote:
Yes, I know...defend myself against someone calling me a "wee lad," and it's all my fault, and someone else would want to take his side...

Hey, it's all good -- I've spoken to plenty of other members in here privately who don't share your sentiment of necessarily automatically taking his side (for a myriad of reasons) and who would have MY back in a heartbeat.

For the record (no pun intended), I have a nice dog (and love dogs) and am a REALLY great guy, if you got to know me in person and not from behind a mobile device or desktop computer where I'm forced to endure commentary like "Hey! You're aggressive!" and "Hey! You're a wee lad and calling me a liar!" and defend myself against it, only to come across as being the original conspirator behind all this and a super-aggressor.

But alas...it's much easier to take someone's side whom you already know and who is making you assume that the individual defending himself is the "wrong party" in these matters. =D>

Thanks for all your input in the thread itself, Copp!
Quartz, you really are taking this far too seriously. I have no intention of standing in a dock in front of Judge Judy and truly hope you don't intend to sue anyone from VE in such spectacular fashion. I was only trying to make light of things hoping the thread would calm. Also, I make my own mind up, no one is making me assume anything and have never met Chris, his dog, or any of his cows.

As far as the wee lad comment, it was perhaps a misunderstanding due to something you said or your capitalizing certain words. It really isn't worth worrying about.

Audie

Post by Audie » 03 May 2018 15:38

Had a look at what is available in microline cartridges that would have compatible specs. for your AT LP120 turntable. The AT 440MLa was the only one, and AT says it is discontinued, which might explain the Amazon price of $315 to$449.

An alternative is a Shure M97xe with a Jico SAS microline stylus, which would be about $400, unless you found a used m97e cartridge body at a good price.

The 440MLa should be a clean swap for your AT95e, so yes you do not need to re-balance the tonearm, if that is your wish.

Quartz_Lock10729

Post by Quartz_Lock10729 » 03 May 2018 20:55

JoeE SP9 wrote:I guess that not only do people hear differently they also perceive things differently. Judge Judy is a person I'd never want to meet. Her persona as exhibited on her show completely turns me off.

Calling any adult "wee lad" is certainly denigrating.
She's a really nice person face to face -- and trust me, based on the kinds of litigants she has had to handle day in and day out even on a family court-oriented basis, her persona as a tough, take-no-s**t New York judge is PRECISELY what these people needed.

Thanks for seeing that calling an adult a "wee lad" is absolutely ridiculous.

Quartz_Lock10729

Post by Quartz_Lock10729 » 03 May 2018 20:56

Audie wrote:Glad you have a satisfactory answer. I wasn't that helpful - kept getting a zero in the way.
smee4 actually answered it neatly in his first post on page 1.

I'll mention a few points that may(or not) be helpful: Your arm height is fixed, so You will not be able to adjust VTA with it. ( you could add a spacer at the pillar base).

The line contact type stylus shape cartridge you intend to install will be more sensitive to VTA/SRA than your elliptical stylus cartridge. It is why I suggested it may be better to stick with what you have, for the present. Just a suggestion - you could prove me wrong. :)
No, my arm height is not fixed -- it is indeed adjustable. And not sure what you mean by "kept getting a zero in the way"...

Quartz_Lock10729

Post by Quartz_Lock10729 » 03 May 2018 21:18

Copperhead wrote: Quartz, you really are taking this far too seriously. I have no intention of standing in a dock in front of Judge Judy and truly hope you don't intend to sue anyone from VE in such spectacular fashion. I was only trying to make light of things hoping the thread would calm. Also, I make my own mind up, no one is making me assume anything and have never met Chris, his dog, or any of his cows.
Whoaa -- really? When did I ever say I was intending to SUE anyone from Vinyl Engine? I was merely responding to a comment made about Judge Judy in this thread.
As far as the wee lad comment, it was perhaps a misunderstanding due to something you said or your capitalizing certain words. It really isn't worth worrying about.
My god in heaven...he called me a childish name because he misunderstood something I said in that thread or for capitalizing words??

No -- this is what happened: He called me a "wee lad" after I disagreed with him about the AT95e's performance in that other thread, claiming that I was calling him a liar (which I wasn't, and made that clear) when all I was doing was saying I did not find this cartridge to be satisfactory in overall quality. Chris attempted to diffuse the situation between us, which I acknowleged in this thread that I appreciated, only to use this against me when he said I came off as "aggressive" towards the member who called ME a schoolyard-level insult.

Can you imagine the irony in that?

Defend yourself against someone calling you a "wee lad" and claiming you called them a liar (while quasi-threatening them in an online discussion forum), only to have that backfire in your face so that YOU'RE the one who's viewed as the individual who started it or is "worse off" than the person lobbing the childish insults...

Absolutely incredible.

Quartz_Lock10729

Post by Quartz_Lock10729 » 03 May 2018 21:22

Audie wrote:Had a look at what is available in microline cartridges that would have compatible specs. for your AT LP120 turntable. The AT 440MLa was the only one, and AT says it is discontinued, which might explain the Amazon price of $315 to$449.

An alternative is a Shure M97xe with a Jico SAS microline stylus, which would be about $400, unless you found a used m97e cartridge body at a good price.

The 440MLa should be a clean swap for your AT95e, so yes you do not need to re-balance the tonearm, if that is your wish.
Audie,

There are other microline cartridges that would be compatible with my AT-LP120, and the 440 cart you are referring to WAS already replaced by the 440MLb -- this too was discontinued recently, but I don't have to track down an expensive discontinued 440, all I need to do is buy the model that replaced these in AT's lineup.

Now, when you say the 440MLa (again, it was replaced by the MLb, but this is gone too) should be a "clean swap" for my AT95e, are you talking about in terms of WEIGHT being put on the arm? Because I would think ANY new cartridge I place on this tonearm shouldn't have to be rebalanced by floating the arm, as we have been discussing...

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 03 May 2018 22:51

Quartz_Lock10729 wrote:
Whoaa -- really? When did I ever say I was intending to SUE anyone from Vinyl Engine? I was merely responding to a comment made about Judge Judy in this thread.
My god in heaven...he called me a childish name because he misunderstood something I said in that thread or for capitalizing words??

No -- this is what happened: He called me a "wee lad" after I disagreed with him about the AT95e's performance in that other thread, claiming that I was calling him a liar (which I wasn't, and made that clear) when all I was doing was saying I did not find this cartridge to be satisfactory in overall quality. Chris attempted to diffuse the situation between us, which I acknowleged in this thread that I appreciated, only to use this against me when he said I came off as "aggressive" towards the member who called ME a schoolyard-level insult.

Can you imagine the irony in that?

Defend yourself against someone calling you a "wee lad" and claiming you called them a liar (while quasi-threatening them in an online discussion forum), only to have that backfire in your face so that YOU'RE the one who's viewed as the individual who started it or is "worse off" than the person lobbing the childish insults...

Absolutely incredible.
I shall dive in once more then shall not come back in again. Whether rightly or wrongly, it is sort of accepted that capitalizing is akin to shouting, by no means my opinion, but unfortunately that's the reality. You do also come across as slightly sarcastic.

Try taking a humorous stance on this, it is a turntable forum, folk sometimes say silly things but not worth losing sleep over.

My apologies if I have offended you, no need to carry on another silly argument.

At some point the thread should be locked. We have had the question and the answer/s.

Gosh, man, you are here to relax and have a laugh.

Audie

Post by Audie » 05 May 2018 15:26

It is all getting a bit confusing- so easy to think Chris had called Quartz-Lock "wee lad", whereas it was someone else in another thread that did the calling. :?

Audie

Post by Audie » 05 May 2018 16:20

Thanks for telling me that the AT LP120 has adjustable arm height. Found evidence that it is restricted in how far it can be lowered in some cartridge setup situations.

Re.AT95e to AT440MLa cartridge swap. Both are designed to perform well with the AT LP120, so their compliances will be similar. Since the both also weigh the same The resulting resonant frequency of the tonearm assembly will perform well, and at a suitable necessary resonant frequency, between the range between 8Hz and 15Hz.
If you need to know more about the subject you should search it.

Quartz_Lock10729

Post by Quartz_Lock10729 » 05 May 2018 19:11

Audie wrote:It is all getting a bit confusing- so easy to think Chris had called Quartz-Lock "wee lad", whereas it was someone else in another thread that did the calling. :?
No, Chris actually intervened in a thread wherein I was called a "wee lad" by someone else...who then proceeded to disappear after I defended myself against that attack (the other member disappeared, I mean).

Quartz_Lock10729

Post by Quartz_Lock10729 » 05 May 2018 19:13

Audie wrote:Thanks for telling me that the AT LP120 has adjustable arm height. Found evidence that it is restricted in how far it can be lowered in some cartridge setup situations.
Yes, out of the box the arm comes lowered to its lowest point (seems to be somewhere LOWER than the zero mark, incredibly) because the felt slip mat is so thin. That's where I have kept it because I'm still running the stock setup.