New turntable from Audio Technica

always listening
toaster999
Great Britain

Re: New turntable from Audio Technica

Post by toaster999 » 03 Feb 2018 19:39

Tedrick wrote:
BMRR wrote:Maybe they're trying to appeal to audiophiles who are prejudiced against direct drive. As we all know, there are a lot of audiophiles who refuse to own a direct drive turntable. :roll:

Well DD is a bit pants ain't it? :^o

luckybaer

Post by luckybaer » 04 Jun 2018 23:49

Smoke Screen wrote:Just saw this on YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UjLHv9tZsc

It`s called AT-LP7 and the new top turntable in the programm. They sell it as
an upgraded version of the LP5,which obviously sold well.
However,the LP7 has a belt drive,inbuilt MM/MC phonopre and VTA-adjustment added
to the tonearm that was taken over from the LP5.
The plinth is made from MDF and the platter a massive plasticdisc.
Still,its a rather lightweight deck with a bit over 5kG.
The price of 800 USD is way to much for this imho. But i guess they just want
to cash in on the LP5`s economical success i guess.
Well,personaly i think the old AT-LP240 still is the best deck that had the AT
name on it in recent years. This new one doesnt change that.
Any thoughts ?
"a bit over 5 kg"
Audio-Technica site states 8.3 kg (18.3 lb) w/out dustcover. Crutchfield states 11.46 pounds. I'd have to confirm which is accurate, but I am inclined to believe the Audio-Technica site. 11.46 lbs would be 1/2 the weight of the LP5...

The platter is made out of this stuff: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyoxymethylene

Is it worth $350 more than the LP5? Dunno.

Smoke Screen

Post by Smoke Screen » 09 Jun 2018 20:56

luckybaer wrote: Is it worth $350 more than the LP5? Dunno.
AT markets the LP7 as a "fully manual belt drive",as if that was a
special feature nowadays,but keeps rather quiet about the details of the
inbuilt phonostage and the used servoelectronics other than the gain and
minimal specs of S/N and W&F,which are not exactly jawdropping at this
pricepoint.
Imho the belt drive could be quieter than a cheap direct drive,but unless
someone puts this turntable through a measuring suite you buy the cat in
the bag - as usual.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 09 Jun 2018 22:00

"Polyoxymethylene" or POM for short - is the new platter-material that everyone is buzzing about. :) I know that Perpetuum-Ebner (a German mid- to high-end brand) are using it - for example on the PE-1000 turntable, this cost like two AT-LP7, it's not a cheap material. It is used because of it's damping characteristics and stability, so it's well suited for vinyl replay. I wise chose for a modern design!

Another difference is the plinth. The LP7 is made from 40mm thick MDF board with damping feets, and the LP5 uses "anti-vibration damping materials with heavy-mass metal chassis inserts" which suggests the LP5 is actually quite hollow inside, a metal frame or chassi with damping materials. LP7 has a thick MDF board.

Those two factors (POM plattern and MDF plinth) could mean that the LP7 gives a higher sound quality.

Now, belt drive or direct drive - they both have their pros and cons and if well executed it really doesn't matter.

"fully manual" is a feature because this means money has been spent on the sound instead of automatics. But truly fully manual means manual speed selection and this comes with speed control.

Question is the performance of the built in phono-pre, the one in the AT-LP5 is not stellar.

Another difference is that the LP7 comes standard with the VM520 cartridge and the LP5 comes with the AT95, now the VM520 is more than twice as expensive as the AT95 so it's a very fine cartridge choice.

Gelid
broken record

Post by Gelid » 10 Jun 2018 02:07

Why can't they just leave out their pathetic pre-amp and bundle it with an external one?
Surly they are aware of all the negative press the built-in gets.

Offer a bundle with three different grades of pre-amps, or sans pre-amp.

m_neveux

Post by m_neveux » 31 Aug 2018 17:29

I've had the AT-LP7 for about 2 weeks now and really like it. The build quality is excellent and the sound quality blows away my previous Rega P1 with Nag Mp-110 cartridge. I am using it with a Parasound Zphono phono stage and don't notice any degradation from the bypassed internal phono stage. I have not tried it with the internal phono stage. I am 100% satisfied with this turntable.
Attachments
IMG_0297.jpg
(126.52 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

derspankster
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by derspankster » 31 Aug 2018 17:36

m_neveux wrote:I've had the AT-LP7 for about 2 weeks now and really like it. The build quality is excellent and the sound quality blows away my previous Rega P1 with Nag Mp-110 cartridge. I am using it with a Parasound Zphono phono stage and don't notice any degradation from the bypassed internal phono stage. I have not tried it with the internal phono stage. I am 100% satisfied with this turntable.
Nice looking table. I have no issue with belt drive tables since I use a 50 year old belt drive myself. Glad you're enjoying your new table.

der

Gelid
broken record

Post by Gelid » 31 Aug 2018 18:12

m_neveux wrote:I've had the AT-LP7 for about 2 weeks now and really like it. The build quality is excellent and the sound quality blows away my previous Rega P1 with Nag Mp-110 cartridge. I am using it with a Parasound Zphono phono stage and don't notice any degradation from the bypassed internal phono stage. I have not tried it with the internal phono stage. I am 100% satisfied with this turntable.
Awesome! :) It looks great, too.

I have no prob with vintage tables, and so far have been able to resolve any issue that one had (thanks to our community here!) but it is nice to know there are turntables being made today that do an acceptable job of playing records.

Most people can't do the necessary tweaking involved in older TT's and need a brand-new one to get them started in records.

oldschool1955

Post by oldschool1955 » 31 Aug 2018 19:13

Interesting they are still using the same knockoff Technics SL-1200 tonearm form factor used on their DD tables. Wonder if they have better quality control on things like arm bearing looseness their DD tables have been criticized for.

Also curious how they are regulating platter speed which has been a criticism of the more budget priced belt driven tables on the market.

m_neveux

Post by m_neveux » 31 Aug 2018 20:15

oldschool1955 wrote: Also curious how they are regulating platter speed which has been a criticism of the more budget priced belt driven tables on the market.
Manual states that Motor features a speed-sensor system to maintain accurate platter rotation speed. Sounds stable to me. No way to check other than on a phone app.

Gelid
broken record

Post by Gelid » 31 Aug 2018 22:52

m_neveux wrote:Manual states that Motor features a speed-sensor system to maintain accurate platter rotation speed. Sounds stable to me. No way to check other than on a phone app.
ThePhilips belt-driven x77 series had an electronic speed-regulating system... prob something similar.

oldschool1955

Post by oldschool1955 » 31 Aug 2018 23:56

m_neveux wrote:
oldschool1955 wrote: Also curious how they are regulating platter speed which has been a criticism of the more budget priced belt driven tables on the market.
Manual states that Motor features a speed-sensor system to maintain accurate platter rotation speed. Sounds stable to me. No way to check other than on a phone app.
All that matters is if you are happy with the deck. I am not trying to pick on the TT as I am and electrical engineer by trade so I am a geek for the details of the electronics which are always interesting to me. I am hoping one of the HiFi mags does an indepth review and gets into the technical details a little.

m_neveux

Post by m_neveux » 01 Sep 2018 00:57

oldschool1955 wrote:
m_neveux wrote:
All that matters is if you are happy with the deck. I am not trying to pick on the TT as I am and electrical engineer by trade so I am a geek for the details of the electronics which are always interesting to me. I am hoping one of the HiFi mags does an indepth review and gets into the technical details a little.
There are very few reviews out for this particular TT. I am glad I took the chance and purchased it. No offense taken by anyone's opinions. Gear is a very personal and subjective thing. This definitely puts the joy back in spinning my LP's.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 01 Sep 2018 01:48

oldschool1955 wrote:Interesting they are still using the same knockoff Technics SL-1200 tonearm form factor used on their DD tables.
This isn't the same arm they use on their DJ decks. This is the J-shaped arm they introduced with the AT-LP5. The arm on their DJ decks is S-shaped. The J arm is also longer, 240mm effective length if I recall correctly. Definitely more audiophile oriented.

eddie edirol
United States of America

Post by eddie edirol » 01 Sep 2018 02:11

BMRR wrote:This isn't the same arm they use on their DJ decks. This is the J-shaped arm they introduced with the AT-LP5. The arm on their DJ decks is S-shaped. The J arm is also longer, 240mm effective length if I recall correctly. Definitely more audiophile oriented.
The arm tube itself isnt the same, but the gimbal is.
No doubt in my mind this is hanpin, inside might be just like the AT-LP1240. Id bet my savings on it.
Hanpin just took off all of the bells and whistles, and then added a different plinth and motor for the belt drive version. The table that Hanpin made for the LP1240 is a strong precise unit, I have no doubt that these audiophile units are just as good.