the home of the turntable

Recording youtube music

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio

Recording youtube music

Postby lreneat » 18 Oct 2017 23:11

I'm not sure about the legal or illegal side of recording music from YouTube? I recall attempting to record something a few years back, but my attempt was a failure altogether. Pirate hardware to stop such activity?
If it is legal to copy music for personal use only, how does one do so? If it is not simple to do, I will not attempt such activity. Thoughts?
lreneat

United States of America

Re: Recording youtube music

Postby Pikey » 20 Oct 2017 10:27

This is the easiest way I've found ... http://www.listentoyoutube.com/index.php

Qualitys not up to much obviously, but my nephews are always using it ...
Rega RP6/Nagaoka MP200 >> Arcam Alpha 8R/8P >> Mission 752 (bi-amped)
Retired/resting! .. JBE 3 Slate .. Garrard Zero100S .. Musical Fidelity A2
Pikey

United Kingdom

Postby jusbe » 22 Oct 2017 19:27

lreneat wrote:I'm not sure about the legal or illegal side of recording music from YouTube? I recall attempting to record something a few years back, but my attempt was a failure altogether. Pirate hardware to stop such activity?
If it is legal to copy music for personal use only, how does one do so? If it is not simple to do, I will not attempt such activity. Thoughts?

Don't.

https://www.diyphotography.net/internet-entrepreneur-shocked-copyright-owner-sued-stealing-work/

Clearly this is a bigger issue if you are doing this for public/commercial use but, if not, why else would you even try it? You probably don't need a further explanation.
jusbe

401, SA-750L, 103R | 124, 3009ii, ADC XLMII | AI P2 | LT-1, DAC-83 | AI L2 | BE DL7 35 | ESL57 x4 | DNM
jusbe

United Kingdom

Postby JDJX » 24 Oct 2017 20:25

FWIW......
There is a great freeware easy to use program called "Free Sound Recorder" that will covert any sound from you computer's sound chip / sound card into a configurable mp3 file. :)

While I'm against any copyright infringement, there is plenty of content that is readily availability.. either it's now in the public domain... or has the consent of a copyright holder to be DLed by the public for personal use only. :)

I have been using it for years to record obscure MP3s for my mp3 player from You Tube
Actually, You Tube considers anything to be in the public domain unless it is removed by a copyright holder.
Sure, there are times when someone would post a copyrighted file but, even then, the quality is not as good as a legal original.

http://www.freesoundrecorder.net/
*Thorens 165 with M97xE
*Lounge Audio phono pre
*NAD C-350 amp
JDJX
long player
long player

Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

United States of America

Postby lreneat » 06 Nov 2017 09:56

Thank's for input. Like I said before: If it's too hard to do, I'm not interested. I have little interest in knowing the in's and out's of how to use a computer with regard to making a recording off of YouTube. Our Multimedia Optical Drive on our computer does not even work at all, and I'm not sure if that will ever be corrected. One thing that seems odd, and maybe I'm over thinking it, but: How is it that a free to listen to YouTube recording of an old album being recorded for personal use is somehow an infringement on anyone's bottom line? More splitting of hairs, or just a means of getting lawyers and their clients enriched when no one was actually harmed in any way. Most people I have met and know don't even have an interest in what I listen to regardless of what kind of music it is. Even the wife has very little interest in my different LP's, CD's, cassettes.
lreneat

United States of America

Postby zxcvb » 15 Nov 2017 08:18

You asked, "How is it that a free to listen to YouTube recording of an old album being recorded for personal use is somehow an infringement on anyone's bottom line?"

It isn't... but since money is at stake, come hell or high water these companies will do everything they can to make sure you can never legally make a copy without paying top dollar for the privilege.

Technically the law says nothing about money and it's only illegal to make a copy without "license" (permission). But naturally, if you want a license, the typical arrangement is you pay for a copy from an approved vendor, and maybe a few pennies will make their way to the artist's royalty account, with the rest going to pay for the middle man's hookers and blow.

The reason music is freely available to stream from YouTube is because the DMCA gives YouTube safe harbor from liability for what its users do, so long as YouTube jumps through certain hoops. The users are still on the hook for uploads, at least, but it is usually not worth the expense and bad PR to sue them, so people upload lots of stuff without permission.

Very few countries have a blanket personal-use exemption that allows just any noncommercial copying. Most countries do have fair-use clauses which have led to court cases where copying by consumers was determined or implied to be OK, but these are limited in scope and rarely apply to wanton copying of entire works, especially if the alternative is you just buying a copy.

Besides, think about it: when you buy a copy, that's just for your personal use, too... so how could personal use be the thing that makes you entitled to get it for free?

Nevertheless, it is a weird and absurd situation where you can stream YouTube vids all the live-long with no consequence, yet if you dare save one of those files to listen to later, you're a lawbreaker.

Anyway, to cover their butts, YouTube has made it so that you can't get a video file without using their app or their player in your web browser, and on your computer the file stays in a secret location and is discarded as soon as possible, and they don't give you a save-to-somewhere-else option. Nowadays it's also sometimes downloaded in pieces so you never have the whole thing at once.

Knowing where to look or using a browser extension to grab the video file out of the cache before it disappears used to be an option, but generally isn't anymore. Intercepting the download and saving it to a file you can keep is still possible with illegal stream-capture software. There is also software which is semi-legal and just pretends to be a browser, but gives you a save-to-file interface. Such software is generally for power users, and is not something that would meet your criteria for being easy.

The only really easy option is using someone else's illegal website which acts as a middleman, pretending to be a browser and fetching the video file and sending a copy to you, perhaps with some additional demuxing (separation of audio from video) and transcoding (conversion to your preferred format like MP3). The most popular of these sites got shut down recently, but there are many more out there; a simple web search for youtube download will surely help you find them.
zxcvb

Return to Digital Audio