the home of the turntable

And how about computer audio?

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio

And how about computer audio?

Postby cafe latte » 19 Sep 2017 05:49

This is kind of linked to my other thread, but different too, what is needed for a good set up ie making a laptop into a serious source.
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Re: And how about computer audio?

Postby rich12 » 19 Sep 2017 16:18

All you need is a good USB DAC. I favor DSD, but PCM can be good too.
rich12

Postby JoeE SP9 » 19 Sep 2017 16:34

A "good" DAC with a USB input connected to your laptop is my recommendation.

Personally, I use an inexpensive HP laptop (AMD E2-7110, 4GB RAM, 32GB eMMC, Windows 10 14-an013nr, Silver) feeding an Emotiva XDA-2 DAC via a USB port. My music files (All FLAC) are stored on a 1TB USB HDD also connected to the laptop via USB. I used an Asus with an 11.1" screen for two years or so. The smaller screen was a problem for me.

I strongly recommend FLAC for a storage file type. It uses lossless compression and supports metadata tagging. FLAC files decode to be bit perfect to the original. IME MP3 files do not sound as good as the originals. The 320Kbps MP3's come close but they get no cigar.

I've been thinking of switching to a dual drive NAS for primary FLAC storage.
ARC SP9, HW19, RB300, Sumiko Blackbird: Front: Magnepan 1.7, 2 x 12" TL subs 2 bridged Crown XLS 402, 2 modified Dyna MK-III's. DBX-223XS, Behringer DSP1124P, rear: Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX-2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545
JoeE SP9
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby tcolegrove » 19 Sep 2017 17:20

Absolutely agree with the folks above recommending a USB DAC (Dragonfly is my preferred brand).

In addition to your own files there's streaming services with great content available. I subscribed to a premium account from Spotify that I'm constantly impressed by. Doing A/B listening tests between vinyl and Spotify, I'm hard pressed to pick one over the other. For $10 a month I can access millions of titles! Not a bad deal in my mind.
Yamaha CR-1050 driving Yamaha P-2200 into Snell Sub-500 and Carver Amazing Loudspeakers (A-side) and Dynaco A-25 (B-side). Technics SL-1210 mkII and Empire 598 for inputs along with Dragonfly USB DAC for streaming.
tcolegrove

United States of America

Postby cafe latte » 19 Sep 2017 22:47

I already have loads of flac files on a hard drive, I never really bothered with Mp3.
So totally over the Cyrus, 5 times now it has failed on me so thinking about what to do for digital on that system hence my question.
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby JeffS7444 » 20 Sep 2017 23:31

Quality digital sound from a computer is the easy part: Making it un-frustrating and non-distracting is another matter.

FWIW, I just bought an Fiio X3 Mk II music player, and it seems that some of these Fiio devices can also serve as USB DAC, so you can think of them as multipurpose audio gadgets, offering SPDIF, line-out and headphone-out - or you can simply use as a portable music player. Headphone amp has enough moxie for my Fostex orthodynamic headphones. The sound? Wonderful as you'd expect of any well-engineered product these days. NWAVGUY's old blog contained bench test results of an Fiio product:

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/03/fiio-e5-headphone-amp.html

I gotta laugh at my music PC projects over the years: My earliest was total overkill and ended up costing far more than expected. Current Raspberry Pi setup and Fiio player would both fit inside a shoebox, with room left over for the shoes! Neither had any real impact on my finances.
JeffS7444

Hawaii

Postby jspink » 21 Sep 2017 12:33

All my music files (flac, mp3, DSD) are stored on a Qnap NAS. I have a Gigabyte Brix fanless and headless PC with Windows 7 and a Teac USB DAC. The software I use is JRiver Media Center 23. I can remote desktop to the PC while I'm home to control it but it also has a neat app for Android devices (not sure about Apple) called Gizmo which can control the playback. Playback can be sent to the player (ie USB DAC) or, and what I think is a great feature, it can stream to the phone/tablet wherever you happen to be in the world! This effectively means that I can carry my entire music collection with me wherever I go! The streaming quality of course depends on the data connection quality, but MP3 seems to be no problem for it.
jspink

United Kingdom

Postby raphaelmabo » 21 Sep 2017 13:08

I use optical out from my Mac to a DAC (Alchemist TS-1D) so no need for a special USB-DAC if you have an optical out. I'm very happy with the sound of my Alchemist. :)
() Thorens TD 203, TP82 with Benz Micro MC Silver, Thorens MM02
() Marantz CD63 KI Signature, Pioneer A575, Alchemist TS-1D
() Alchemist Nexus, Alchemist Axiom
() Infinity Reference 50, ALR Jordan Entry 2M
raphaelmabo

Sweden

Postby cafe latte » 21 Sep 2017 20:47

Some interesting solutions. Now I need to decided which way to go. Either get a separate DA converter or build a PI with a da board. too many options :D
CHris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby JeffS7444 » 22 Sep 2017 17:37

With Raspberry Pi + DAC card, you can laugh all the way to the bank!
JeffS7444

Hawaii

Postby cafe latte » 22 Sep 2017 20:35

JeffS7444 wrote:With Raspberry Pi + DAC card, you can laugh all the way to the bank!

I think I will give one a go, it might be fun anyway and not a lot of cost if I am not happy with the results. Question is what is the best spec DA card? Also how does this "headless" idea work, how do you control which tracks you want to play?
I am also considering options with my Pad as it has a huge battery if I am not happy with the Pi a decent separate DA converter will be the next option.
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby Bonzo_Dog » 27 Sep 2017 21:16

I prefer not to play music on the PC for listening only: It takes too long time to start a PC just to play some music, and the PC is not in my listening area. However, I do a lot of work on a PC to fill up my music server (Synology NAS) with new content (FLAC-files 16-bit/44,1 kHz or better). When editing needledrops with RX6 or ripping CDs with dbpoweramp (or EAC, or CUEripper) I listen to music with my headphones through my headphone DAC (HRT HeadStreamer). It's not real listening for enjoyment but to check if the new content is OK.

If I play music through my PC at a party or maybe even as a DJ I'm using Foobar2000 with files from my music server copied to a 64 GB USB-disk or to the PCs hard drive. I have a 'Henry Audio USB DAC 128 mk II' for that purpose. It can easily be connected through RCA to an external stereo/PA. When DJ-ing I can connect the DAC to one portable installation of Foobar2000 through WASAPI for playback and picking what to play next from another portable installation of Foobar2000 connected to my headphones. You can drag-and-drop the files from the picking window to the playing window. If it's a party I can just play a suitable playlist in random mode from my Foobar2000 playback.
Bonzo_Dog

Norway

Return to Digital Audio