What CD Player Do You Use?

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio
bonaccmj

What CD Player Do You Use?

Post by bonaccmj » 25 Nov 2014 07:12

No disrespect to JaS and the "What Turntable Do You Use?" thread he (or she?) started :)

I'm just curious as to what kind of CD player(s) everyone is using (and what y'all think of it). What do you like about it? What do you dislike? Is it very good? Good enough to compete with your record player? Changer or single disc? SACD? DVD? Vintage or modern?

If you say please I'll post about mine, but prepare to be disappointed :/

Terry Robinson

Re: What CD Player Do You Use?

Post by Terry Robinson » 25 Nov 2014 08:12

We use an obscure one called "Redback" obtained from Altronics in Australia. It's built in China (of course) and is just a single player. Sound is remarkably good. We particularly like the feature that allows us to adjust the replay speed -- this is very handy for "historical" recordings that been transfered at slightly in-correct speeds.

Cheers,

Terry.

finger painter

Post by finger painter » 25 Nov 2014 15:49

Rotel RCD06. A lot of player for what I paid and it serves its purpose nicely. An old Pioneer PDs705 'stable platter', 'stick your CD in upside down' player. Cost £15 and performs wonderfully for an older player. Being given to my son for his new 'dad buys' system

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 25 Nov 2014 17:02

Technics SL-P500 (1986). I'm not afraid to admit I bought it just for the looks. Bonus: it still works flawlessly, plays everything you throw at it (including CD-R's), and sounds pretty good!

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 25 Nov 2014 18:34

I'm currently using a "NAD 516BEE". I got it shortly before I got back into vinyl.

I still have a relatively intepensive "TEAC" single disk deck packed away but, the NAD sounds much better overall.:)

w_axlrose1

Post by w_axlrose1 » 25 Nov 2014 20:49

Yamaha CD-N500.

Bandit127
Great Britain

Post by Bandit127 » 25 Nov 2014 21:20

My PC. With a good sound card I get no jitter and a very good SQ.

alternativeroute

Post by alternativeroute » 25 Nov 2014 21:47

Arcam Alpha 5+
I bought it second hand for a good price. Replaced the tray gear and belt... I have had a few CD players through but I come back to the Arcam every time. Loads fast, isn't picky about discs and sounds good to my ears... For a while I ran it with a Theta DAC but I got rid of the DAC as the minuscule (could be imagined) improvement in sound was not worth having extra component with all the extra wires in my rack...

Rob998
long player
long player

Post by Rob998 » 25 Nov 2014 21:50

In my main System: Marantz CD6004. It's a decent cd player with USB input and is a really nice sounding player. I sometimes rotate it with a bog standard Marantz CD63 Mkii, not a SE or KI Sig, and it is amazingly good for it's age and price point. It's a little brighter than the 6004, but not ear bleedingly so.

In my living room system is a Teac PD-H500, not the most detailed sounding deck, but warmish and rather pleasing to my ears.

Quite fancy a SACD deck, but not the cost of the software...

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 25 Nov 2014 23:37

I was using my Cyrus cd8se, but my new Oppo 105d sounds better so now the Oppo is the digital center stage.
Chris

hawkgt

Post by hawkgt » 26 Nov 2014 16:25

Nakamichi CD Player 2.I like it because to me it dosen't sound digital if you get my gist.I find that it is smoother sounding and not shrill or overly bright.

Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player
Laos

Post by Mark E Smith's Dentist » 26 Nov 2014 20:25

I've got some £20 Samsung silver disc reader/burner. I put the disc in it and onto the hard drive it goes.

From there it goes out a fancy shmancy USB cable into an iFi iUSBpower, then onto an iDac, out of that (in analogue), into an iTube valve buffer/digital-smoother-outer type of thing and then into a power amp and a pair of Kef LS50s. There's a digital domain volume control on the keyboard.

I can't see the point of having an actual CD player. Vinyl is for proper listening and digital is for when I'm at the computer - it's a pretty good system (best digital I've ever heard at home) but it's never going to take the place of listening to records.

JT

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 26 Nov 2014 21:36

..........I can't see the point of having an actual CD player. Vinyl is for proper listening and digital is for when I'm at the computer - it's a pretty good system (best digital I've ever heard at home) but it's never going to take the place of listening to records.
Fact is, there are actually some very good CDs and some tittles are not available on vinyl.

Personally I love vinyl also (have a Thorens,etc), etc) but do not deny myself some good tittles in other formats.

I even have an MP3 player connected to my audio system and I sometimes put it on random play while I doing something else.

Don't discount the fact that there can indeed be sonic differences between CD decks.
An inexpensive computer CD/DVD burner may be fine for compute speakers but.............

BTW, I even have a computer connected to my main audio system.:)

Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player
Laos

Post by Mark E Smith's Dentist » 27 Nov 2014 09:26

JDJX wrote: An inexpensive computer CD/DVD burner may be fine for computer speakers but.............

All the CD burner does is create bit-perfect copies which are then stored on the hard drive. A cheap one is fine - they all do exactly the same thing.

These Image
are not computer speakers.

JT

dawg65

Post by dawg65 » 27 Nov 2014 10:53

:oops: Huh...long time ago I sunk into the dark side and gave away my TTs. Power of the dark side was so strong that these days i have several CDs.
The real star (alas fading) is Philips 104.
All these years flawless performance without mods. Recently it started to have some glitches, probably because of infamous vertical tin 'wires'.
Philips 202 is OK inside but worn out look. Still it amuses me a lot when listen ripped discs (WAV out FLAC) and I am able to hear all these crackles picked up from vinyl without mercy.
Both were NOS modified. Since i didn't notice difference i resold everything the way it was.
Philips 930 is already good machine. Has digital out I only damped chassy with some selfadhesive 'rubber' disconnected headphone jack and it more dynamic.
NAD 521 is ok, precise. Digital out too. No mods.
Denon 680 was the cheapest one around 30 euros. It is giving headache sound. I bought it just to prove above mention attitude that 'every1 CD is the same'. So far experimenting with it but cannot force it to play sweet music. Too harsh.
The real gem belongs to my son (but he already plays his DUAL 505-3). It is b'stard of CD and HDD, Sony HARD1000 or something. Either you play music from its CD or HDD, it sounds sweet and detailed.

Two conclusions:
1. In the fading world of CD players the best products or most honest (if it is possible to state that way) came from Sony, NAD and Philips. Philips made variety players for other companies. First decade of CD, for my taste, belongs to Philips and Marantz.

2. Kids are smarter than parents :oops: