HD music

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio
RetiredBob
United States of America

HD music

Post by RetiredBob » 07 Feb 2020 19:57

FindHDmusic.com locates HD music that you can purchase. Searches for 24-bit/96kHz & 24-bit/192kHz. (CD is 16/44.1)

Searching for “doors” available for purchase in the USA gets: http://www.findhdmusic.com/album-search ... avail_us=1
Selecting the 50th aniversary edit in the USA gets: http://www.findhdmusic.com/album/the-do ... oors/40192
Select HDtracks (USA) & it costs $34.98 for 24/96 and $46.98 for 24/192. Ouch! https://www.hdtracks.com/the-doors-50th ... ormat=AIFF

I was looking into wireless DAC options for iTunes on a Mac. Didn’t know I could get music better than CD (16/44.1).
Wireless DACS are available for 24/96.
They have instructions for iTunes & other media players: https://www.hdtracks.com/faq#oym2

Anyone using these HD downloads? What setup do you have or recommend?

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Re: HD music

Post by Tonybro » 08 Feb 2020 07:39

I've seen them in the past and at those prices, walked on by! Buy the vinyl and rip it at 24/96 and you'll have what they are selling AND the vinyl...

GrumpyBob

Post by GrumpyBob » 08 Feb 2020 11:32

I have tried High Res music files on my HiFi, and can't say I think they are worth it over 16/44 CD quality. Whether that is down to my ageing ears, the quality of my HiFi or the genres of music I listen to I can't say.
Some people who know about these things say High Res files are no improvement - digital sampling theory is rather outside my expertise. No point in me forking out extra for High Res files, I think.

Robert

RetiredBob
United States of America

Post by RetiredBob » 08 Feb 2020 12:18

All of my CDs are in iTunes & stored as Apple’s lossless audio files. Plus iTunes is backed up via Time Machine. Until a few days ago I thought those CDs would last pretty much forever.
(Its been my experience that CDs that you burn don’t last very long. And especially so if you keep them in a car that gets really hot at times.)

Am in the process of replacing my old lame wireless DAC (1st gen Apple Airport Express) with a new 24/96 wireless DAC.
Had a sweet RTR back in my 20s, and am looking for a refurbished RTR.

I expect that my 65-year-old amateur ears can’t hear the difference. Plus it likely takes a far more expensive stereo than I have to produce the difference. But I was thinking about giving it a try after I’m done with the equipment upgrades.

I hadn’t thought about ripping vinyl. Any recommendations on what it takes to rip at 24/96? Any recommended products?

terry-a
long player
long player

Post by terry-a » 11 Feb 2020 17:20

Are you using a mac? If so what playback software will send 24/96 wirelessly to that DAC?

I used iTunes and an express for years on a Mac. Then I experimented with a boosted usb cable and it worked better than expected. I now have a several high rez audio files from HD Tracks and elsewhere that I play through Amara. I won't argue with others about whether or not high rez is worthwhile. But I will tell you that what I have sounds pretty good.

RetiredBob
United States of America

Post by RetiredBob » 11 Feb 2020 18:10

As I understand it, you were taking a quality hit when your Mac OSX software converted the 24/96 or 24/192 into 16/44.1, and then a second quality hit when the DAC in your AirPort Express did the analog conversion. The 1st gen AirPort Express has a rather meager DAC, but the 2nd gen is much better.

With USB + Amarra, you eliminate the Mac OSX conversion to16/44.1
What DAC are you using?

terry-a
long player
long player

Post by terry-a » 11 Feb 2020 20:49

If I remember correctly the DAC in the first generation was better than the second generation. But that's not an important distinction. I have both. I still have several spread around the house.

I didn't bother with 24/96 or 24/192 until I had the software to play it, Decibel, and the boosted cable to get the signal to my DAC.

I bought the boosted cable, against all audiophile recommendations, for something like $30. I ran it across the floor to my DAC. It worked and sounded great. I then routed it from my computer/server into my crawl space then up through the wall to my DAC. I eventually discovered that Decibel wasn't doing what it purported to do. It was not passing along the native stream. So I did a test run with Amara and I could hear the difference. I hated Amara's interface, and it's still a little buggy, but I've gotten used to it's quirks, and it sounds good.

My DAC is a Sabre DAC built into a Parasound P6 preamp.

Last night a neighbor who is a bit of a music freak with a rather large classical collection stopped by. I played a 24/352 file of Jan Gunner Hoff, Living. Without knowing it was super high resolution he said it was the most lifelike piano he'd ever heard. Of course he may have said that if it was 16/44. Who knows. But it does sound extremely good.

terry-a
long player
long player

Post by terry-a » 12 Feb 2020 00:35

The Doors download you're referring to is the 24/192 deluxe addition with 30 tracks. The 24/96 version is available for $34.98, and the standard album is available at 24/96 for $19.98. The Doors cd at Amazon is $11.47. You have options.

Ripping the record is not a bad option if you have the means and the time.

RetiredBob
United States of America

Post by RetiredBob » 12 Feb 2020 12:25

Yes, was comparing apples & oranges (50th deluxe vs regular). The HD $$$ premium isn’t as large as I thought.

I’m on the hunt for a good RTR to replace the Teac X7R I had years ago. That’s another option.

Any thoughts on a good setup for ripping vinyl & making 24/96?

terry-a
long player
long player

Post by terry-a » 12 Feb 2020 15:34

I've been ripping for 20 years but my method is basic by comparison to what I see in the Vinyl Ripping sub forum, where you'll find a lot of good info.

I simply run line out from my integrated amp to the analog input on my Mac, and record with Audacity.

terry-a
long player
long player

Post by terry-a » 14 Feb 2020 15:41

I followed the link in your other thread to the Ken Rockwell reviews of the Express and found why I believed the 1st generation was better than the 2nd. Apple did something funny. They introduced a second Express, and referred to it as the 1st generation. The 3rd Express they introduced was called the 2nd generation. Make sense of that.

The second version of the first generation Express suffered from higher jitter characteristics as compared to the first. I experienced this first hand when the DAC in my integrated amp misfired during playback after switching to the newer 1st gen Express. Production was stopped on the amp as a result of my discovery, and a modification was done at the factory that allowed for higher jitter input to the DAC. A new amp was delivered directly to my home by the rep as a thank you for my help discovering the flaw.

RetiredBob
United States of America

Post by RetiredBob » 14 Feb 2020 17:57

terry-a wrote:
14 Feb 2020 15:41
I followed the link in your other thread to the Ken Rockwell reviews of the Express and found why I believed the 1st generation was better than the 2nd. Apple did something funny. They introduced a second Express, and referred to it as the 1st generation. The 3rd Express they introduced was called the 2nd generation. Make sense of that.

The second version of the first generation Express suffered from higher jitter characteristics as compared to the first. I experienced this first hand when the DAC in my integrated amp misfired during playback after switching to the newer 1st gen Express. Production was stopped on the amp as a result of my discovery, and a modification was done at the factory that allowed for higher jitter input to the DAC. A new amp was delivered directly to my home by the rep as a thank you for my help discovering the flaw.
Interesting bit of history.

Ken Rockwell tested the A1264 version of the 1st gen & the A1392 version of the second gen.
The two model versions of the 1st gen Airport Express are A1084 & A1264. The A1082 & A1264 look the same.
The 2nd gen versions look different -- don’t know how many variations were made.

You are correct about Ken testing the 2nd version of the 1st gen AE. I have the same lousy-sounding version.

Apple uses model name, model number & marketing part number.
For example. They made a bunch of different versions of the iPhone 6s — the different versions & production runs have different numbers.

That info can be useful. After the iPod Shuffle was discontinued, I was able to buy the last production run of the last version produced based on those numbers.