Could it be that Sony CD player is going to spoil?

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio
Sterling1
United States of America

Re: Could it be that Sony CD player is going to spoil?

Post by Sterling1 » 25 Oct 2019 10:27

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:
25 Oct 2019 03:17
Most recognizable name manufacturers of recent and current CD players will utilize quite similar quality and reliability components, often sourcing from only a few manufacturers. Today's transports and lasers are of a high consistent quality, and for the average user, will last the lifetime of the unit. Stories of lasers failing suddenly and randomly are largely false, and most problems are related to slipping belts, dirty/dusty laser lenses, and mis-alignment problems related to poor handling. Not sure of the current status of discs, but there was a period in which the disc construction was poorly executed, and separation and deterioration of the user interface layer and the information layer underneath caused significant problems in the reading of discs by the laser. Overall, and notably Sony brand players have demonstrated above average reliability in long term playback ability. Many Technics players also are very reliable. Select Pioneer and Onkyo units likewise garner very high user satisfaction reviews. One must give allowance to the wide range of environments and handling variables that a CD player and the CD itself must endure while being expected to produce a satisfying sonic experience. Most good to high quality CD players will pass with flying colors, and continue to do so thousands of plays later. On a play per dollar basis, it is very hard to fault the better quality brand players. Simple maintenance and reasonable handling usually produce outstanding reliability. :D
What is the evidence for your statement, "stories of lasers failing suddenly and randomly are largely false".

joedisco
Mexico

Post by joedisco » 25 Oct 2019 20:34

lbls1 wrote:
25 Oct 2019 02:50
^Sure. Its Sony CDP-CE500. I've noticed that Sony CD players are a bit scarce in new condition as well. Good luck.
Thanks a lot!
Yes, not easy to get a Sony CD player...
I somehow have this bias prefering Sony CD players perhaps because Sony invented the first commercially available CD player (as far as I know).
Yes, I love changers! Audiophiles very much dislike changers but I love them, they are very convenient and they sound good enough for me.

Right now I have a very old Sony CDP-C715 it is perhaps from early 90's
It works very well but I wonder how much time will it last... Im thinking about a replacement.

I have seen the Onkyo DXC 390 with 6 disc capacity but I have read very bad reviews about it...
On the other hand, I have seen the Integra CDC 3.4
Some people say the Integra CDC 390 is the same as the Onkyo DXC390
However, reading reviews, there is only good reviews about the Integra both in terms of audio quality and in terms of reliability.
On the contrary, there are many bad reviews about Onkyo DXC 390 reliability.
As for audio quality I really can not tell one CD player from another.
I remember years ago an audio shop was showing a very expensive CD player.
I was completely unimpressed, I was like "what? all that money for this? this is all the same, it is just another CD player like the one I have at home, just a good looking one but really it adds nothing to the experience" Really, can not tell the difference. My ears must be entry level and cheap! I guess it has to be a very bad unit for me to tell.

One thing I love about my Sony is that it has DSP effects like "Hall" and the like, love those effects, suit very well for some classical music recordings. Not to abuse them, just use them were it suits.
If not, there is always the "FLAT" button so you can hear music with no adulteration. No artificial processing.
But it is good to have the choice just in case.
Most CD players nowadays lack that DSP, maybe it was 90's fashion I guess, because back in those days I remember DSP was everywhere.
Anyway, thanks, it is good to know there is this Sony you bought and will look for it but I have an eye for that Integra as well.
Regards...

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 25 Oct 2019 22:57

joedisco wrote:
25 Oct 2019 20:34
lbls1 wrote:
^Sure. Its Sony CDP-CE500. I've noticed that Sony CD players are a bit scarce in new condition as well. Good luck.
Thanks a lot!
I somehow have this bias prefering Sony CD players perhaps because Sony invented the first commercially available CD player (as far as I know).
Yes, I love changers! Audiophiles very much dislike changers but I love them, they are very convenient and they sound good enough for me.

It works very well but I wonder how much time will it last... Im thinking about a replacement.

I have seen the Onkyo DXC 390 with 6 disc capacity but I have read very bad reviews about it...
However, reading reviews, there is only good reviews about the Integra both in terms of audio quality and in terms of reliability.
I was completely unimpressed, I was like "what? all that money for this? this is all the same, it is just another CD player like the one I have at home, just a good looking one but really it adds nothing to the experience" Really, can not tell the difference. My ears must be entry level and cheap! I guess it has to be a very bad unit for me to tell.

One thing I love about my Sony is that it has DSP effects like "Hall" and the like, love those effects, suit very well for some classical music recordings. Not to abuse them, just use them were it suits.
If not, there is always the "FLAT" button so you can hear music with no adulteration. No artificial processing.
Most CD players nowadays lack that DSP, maybe it was 90's fashion I guess, because back in those days I remember DSP was everywhere.
Anyway, thanks, it is good to know there is this Sony you bought and will look for it but I have an eye for that Integra as well.
Regards...
I'm a Sony fan boy, as you can see from my mostly Sony System. One piece of their equipment in my system is a 45 year old turntable I bought new, still not needing any repair or service. On the other hand, I've had several Sony components which broke down under warranty and had to be replaced and my last Universal Player from Sony, a DVP-S9000ES, I've enjoyed for 20 years, recently lost it's ability to play SACDs, thus, requiring laser assembly replacement. And, of course, the belts in my 30 year old Sony Compact Cassette Decks had to be replaced a few years back too. So far though, I've been pleased overall with Sony. I don't know anything about the stuff they make today, since I have not purchased any Sony Hi-Fi or Home Theater components other than a TV for over 20 years. The pride and joy of my system is a pair of Sony Professional DAT Recorders purchase in 1993. They're the only components in my system which are not only difficult to maintain but expensive as well. Flat rate service on those bad boys runs between $500 and $1000 plus parts and shipping.
48172400862_dc0e10503a_k.jpg
(184.4 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

lbls1
United States of America

Post by lbls1 » 26 Oct 2019 02:58

joedisco wrote:
25 Oct 2019 20:34
lbls1 wrote:
Thanks a lot!

Regards...
No problem I was very glad to help. I think the reason I bought the Onkyo was that at the time I couldn't find a new Sony that was available. I saw quite a few used ones for sale, but I thought "I already have a used cd player", so I went on and bought the Onkyo because at the time it had good reviews. Well, another lesson I revisited was "don't believe everyhing you hear" because the Onkyo proved to have been a failure. Chalk it up to experience.

lbls1
United States of America

Post by lbls1 » 26 Oct 2019 03:00

BTW, Sony products are well known as long term survivors, which can make them last twenty years or more. Like I said earlier, I still have two of my Sony disc players. They could use attention, but they are still around!

joedisco
Mexico

Post by joedisco » 26 Oct 2019 06:16

Wow, I like your audio system! That looks great. What speakers are those? JBL?
I have Sony budget shelf speakers SSCS5 (three way) and they are cheap but very good!
And I bet that Onkyo you bought was the DXC390?
Wow, I have never used a DAT in my life!

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 26 Oct 2019 13:02

joedisco wrote:
26 Oct 2019 06:16
Wow, I like your audio system! That looks great. What speakers are those? JBL?
I have Sony budget shelf speakers SSCS5 (three way) and they are cheap but very good!
And I bet that Onkyo you bought was the DXC390?
Wow, I have never used a DAT in my life!
My system components are listed in my signature, no Onkyo. The speakers are indeed JBL's, L100t3's purchased back in 1986 when I had an income to afford them. I have 3 means to CD pleasure: 1. OPPO-205, 2. Sony DVP-S9000ES, and 3. Sony C601ES. CDs sound pretty much the same from these units from their internal DACs. The DAT Recorders were originally purchased to archive radio commercials produced by my advertising agency. At that time period it was the most convenient way to access commercials and copy them for mailing to radio stations. When mp3 came out just a few years later, allowing the archiving of commercials on a computer and mailing via email, the DAT Recorders became obsolete. Having a $17,000 investment in it though, I did not want to part with the recorders and I'm glad I didn't, since they can be used to record internet streams and downloads. At any rate, my affection with Sony started in 1975 with the purchase of a PS-4750 Manual Turntable. It was my 6th turntable, being very disappointed with the previous 5. The PS-4750 satisfied then and now. It spawned purchase of other Sony stereo equipment, which once occupied 9 cabinets along an entire wall; but back in 2004 I sold 1 Sony ES Cassette Deck, 1 ES CD Player, 1 ES Tuner, 1 ES Preamp, 6 ES Power Amps, 4 ES DAT Recorders, a Hi8 Recorder, 2 Professional CD Recorders, 1 Reel-to-Reel Recorder, and a Laser Disc Player. It was just too much stuff with no feature set adding to my pleasure or convenience of any recorded media out there. The equipment I retained allows me to listen to most any media except reel to reel. If I was starting over, I'd get the TOTL Marantz Prepro/Power Amp, which I would connect to my computer via HDMI and call it a day. HDMI has changed everything, allowing the computer to replace many components. The future though maybe mostly wireless from computer to active speakers. We have it now with Alexis.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 02 Nov 2019 20:37

I always liked Sony products too, but am a bit unimpressed with the quality of some of their audio equipment in recent years. While none are top of the line, a hardly used CD changer, mini system and car radio have all had issues, the first 2 no longer even recognize discs, only USB, and the car radio has a yet to be located intermittent issue in one channel. The oldest of them had not even made it 6 years before acting up. I don't know yet what the current CD player offerings are, but am once again lacking in the CD player department as well, unless I can bring one of my old players back to life.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 03 Nov 2019 07:53

Big B5515 wrote:
02 Nov 2019 20:37
I always liked Sony products too, but am a bit unimpressed with the quality of some of their audio equipment in recent years. While none are top of the line, a hardly used CD changer, mini system and car radio have all had issues, the first 2 no longer even recognize discs, only USB, and the car radio has a yet to be located intermittent issue in one channel. The oldest of them had not even made it 6 years before acting up. I don't know yet what the current CD player offerings are, but am once again lacking in the CD player department as well, unless I can bring one of my old players back to life.
Sony's last preamp was produced back around the year 2000. Today the only thing that remains in their ES line are 5 AVR's, a Hi-Res Player, a Universal Player, and an Integrated Amp. This makes it appear Sony is concentrating on imaging products, like cameras and TVs. I do not have any experience at all with their cameras but 2 years ago I purchased a 43 inch and 65 inch TV from their least expensive TV series. So far, these TVs are working as expected. At any rate, no doubt, Sony has had to re-think consumer electronics just to still be around today, considering their line of PCs flopped, their cell phones flopped, and their mobile recording devices flopped. And, although I have interest in a modern HDMI preamp from Sony it looks like I will need to look elsewhere to fill that need, since Sony does not make one.