Could it be that Sony CD player is going to spoil?

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio
ravelax
Sweden

Re: Could it be that Sony CD player is going to spoil?

Post by ravelax » 30 Sep 2019 20:00

It's understandable that you hesitate to try to fix it. I do too even though I've come as far as actually getting hold of the part I need... I just balk at the idea of replacing the motor, it's so fiddly. Meanwhile I found myself another vintage player (Technics SL-P770) that so far runs fine and reads everything... But for how long? :roll: Hehe
Vinylfreak86 wrote:
30 Sep 2019 19:33
Where will be CD players in ten years... who knows.
Probably even more of a niche product than they've turned into over the last couple of years... But who knows, maybe a revival will happen when the kids get tired of over-priced poorly pressed new vinyl!

Bobber05

Post by Bobber05 » 01 Oct 2019 02:54

What is the model # of your Sony CDP? They used a variety of transport sections,DAC sections and analog output sections over the years, some are more worthy of repair dollars than others.Bottom line, it's a 30 year old electro-mechanical device coming from a period when the major hifi companies were more concerned with lower cost to themselves than with pushing the boundaries of SOTA.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 01 Oct 2019 03:29

Ravelax has essentially condensed the issues down to the basics. Lasers do NOT generally wear out, become faulty or such. Drive belts for the sled/tray do. The carriage for the lens can become lethargic and not move properly to read the disc. Discs, in spite of claims to the contrary, will function much better when handled carefully and cleaned occasionally with a microfibre cloth and a bit of distilled water. There are definite differences in the quality of some discs, sometimes related to the mass manufacturing techniques, some to the quality of materials used in the disc itself. Issues will certainly arise from poor ownership handling and habits, including smoking and callous handling of players and discs. Cleaning of the lens is best done with isopropyl alcohol and a cotton Q-tip, as some cleaning discs have, I believe been linked to minor damage to disc surfaces in the past. Bottom line, treated well, CD players of quality, such as those made by Sony, technics, pioneer and yamaha for example, are very reliable and provide untold hours of entertainment without significant problem. My favorite player, for example, is a Technics P-101, quite ancient by most standards, but plays flawlessly without any maintenance to this day.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 01 Oct 2019 09:32

Bobber05 wrote:
01 Oct 2019 02:54
What is the model # of your Sony CDP?
Model is Sony CDP-790 and looks like on a photo. I believe it was not the cheapest model, but became grandpa during the years. :)
IMG_20191001_102916_725.jpg
(51.24 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 01 Oct 2019 09:37

ravelax wrote:
30 Sep 2019 20:00

Probably even more of a niche product than they've turned into over the last couple of years... But who knows, maybe a revival will happen when the kids get tired of over-priced poorly pressed new vinyl!
If someone would say to me 9 years ago, that in 2019 Tascam/Teac will still be producing hifi cassette deck, I said to him that he is insane. :mrgreen:

Kids will become older and when they will become parents, they start buying CD`s because time will get too short for everyday use of vinyl. :wink:

lbls1
United States of America

Post by lbls1 » 01 Oct 2019 11:03

Ok I re-read the op, and I understood the following: That the OP is having issues with a second hand unit that has an unknown origin or signs of abuse. This is totally understandable, since even the best units/products will exhibit failure if they were mishandled and/or abused.

I've given several testimonials of my experience with Sony CD Players, and a recent experience with an Onkyo CD Player. My experiences involved new units purchased by myself. Its been my experience that new Sony CD players exhibited dependable service. Sony CD players, however, are not without faults. Sony products, like most, will exhibit signs of age, wear and tear, and could require service. My typical Sony products have given me a lengthy timeline of service.

The Onkyo CD player was purchased new, and after a couple of months it exhibited poor, unsatisfactory service in its playback. This unit was later returned.

I typically will purchase new units (with the exception of turntables) for my audio system. Its also my opinion that with quality units (I consider Sony as a quality manufacturer of electronics) I would feel very secure in repairing, restoring or servicing the unit, as long as I have an assurance that the unit will be put back to like-new condition.

I highly recommend that if the OP is interested in the Sony unit, that he/she should scout around for a technician and get an opinion of a repair and price. I would also recommend that the OP look at new units, and compare features and price. The OP should make a good decision on what will bring the greatest satisfaction and best service in a CD player.

Good luck.

Bobber05

Post by Bobber05 » 02 Oct 2019 02:45

Sony CDP-790: transport& laser pickup are a Sony made KSS-240A, very common in many spinners from that era, including some Denons and even the Sega 2 CD based video game system Lots of China made copies still available for <$20 so it can still be repaired.
What is concerning however is the DAC used in this player, either a Sony made CXD2551P,2552Q, or 2554P. These chips were universally panned back in the day as being unmusical with high distortion, the very definition of why vinyl sounded so superior in the 90's.
You can get a 21st century CDP brand new for about $200 with a modern DAC section that will simply crush most 90's players sound quality. Conversely, many modern CDP's include a transport section that won't be as durable as your old Sony. Pick your poison!

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 02 Oct 2019 11:06

I see that every new CD player from somewhere 165-210 eur comes with 24-bit DAC (some even with Brown-buhr or Wolfson), but these old units have 1-bit DAC with oversampling rates. Yes transport section is chinese made these days. Unlike turntables CD players became better in the last 30 years (at least their digital part).

I have contacted one of the rare skilled tehnician for repairing old hifi components in my country and his price for total overhaul would be near 200 eur. This is the same price for which I can buy new unit. It is not smart to pay so much money for 30 years old CD player. If it would be quality made turntable, costs were justified, because you cannot get a serious new turntable for 200 eur.

lbls1
United States of America

Post by lbls1 » 02 Oct 2019 21:26

Yea thought so. To be honest I did not see a wide selection for CD players either. You may find some of them to be somewhat expensive. The new Sony I purchased wasn’t cheap, but on the other hand I did not want to compromise on my cd playback. Contrary to one or two statements, my previous Sony CD player in my opinion had excellent playback, and it was because of this performance that I picked up a new Sony.

ravelax
Sweden

Post by ravelax » 02 Oct 2019 22:05

lbls1 wrote:
02 Oct 2019 21:26
Contrary to one or two statements, my previous Sony CD player in my opinion had excellent playback, and it was because of this performance that I picked up a new Sony.
The higher-end Sonys were indeed very serious CD players with very sophisticated transport mechanisms (much more so than any modern players), using the best DAC chips available at the time. They still hold up well, but in case one doesn't like the sound of the vintage DAC there's always the option of using the player as a transport only, hooking it up to a modern DAC through the digital outputs.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 07 Oct 2019 10:44

At the end this Sony CD player even made some sratches on a CD, because mechanism inside started rumbling and a CD could even fall out of the CD tray when I opened it. I won`t even touch it anymore.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 07 Oct 2019 12:27

[attachment=0]_DSC3891.jpg[/attachment Here's the kind of CD Player which might be worth fixing. This is a Sony DVP-S9000es. This unit cost over $1000 about 20 years ago for state of the art SACD playback. About 4 years ago the laser went out. It seemed worth the $200 it cost to repair the unit. I'm glad I repaired it because the unit can not be replaced with comparable equipment today for less than a $4000 investment. Bottom-line is what is the value of the broken equipment when fixed and does this exceed the cost of repair.
Attachments
_DSC3891.jpg
(31.4 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

joedisco
Mexico

Post by joedisco » 25 Oct 2019 00:04

lbls1 wrote:
22 Sep 2019 21:18
Sonys in my opinion were among the best CD players in that era and currently. I had a 5 disc changer from 1992, and I would swear that it was the best single audio component that I had. The cd player had outstanding sound output, with a variety of pre-set sound settings. I still have this changer, and unfortunately Sony's are prone to age and wear related maladies. This changer currently has problems opening the cd drawer.

Roll the tape almost 30 years later to last year; I built myself a new system and purchased an Onkyo 6 cd changer. At first I thought of refurbishing the Sony, but I wanted an all new system, and the cd changer was quick and easy to acquire and set up. At first it played ok, but soon after I noticed skipping of sound, even on good cds. I gave the benefit of the doubt that my discs were dirty. After many sessions of cleaning discs and the changer heads, I grew tired of it and realized that the Onkyo changer was of poor quality. I returned it and bought a brand new Sony changer based on my experiences two decades ago. What a night and day difference. The new Sony saved my day, and now I have excellent cd playback anytime, and with no worrying or excessive disc cleaning. Long Live Sony Products!
Hello, can you let me know what model is your brand new Sony CD changer you bought? It is hard to get changers today...
Thanks!

lbls1
United States of America

Post by lbls1 » 25 Oct 2019 02:50

^Sure. Its Sony CDP-CE500. I've noticed that Sony CD players are a bit scarce in new condition as well. Good luck.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 25 Oct 2019 03:17

Most recognizable name manufacturers of recent and current CD players will utilize quite similar quality and reliability components, often sourcing from only a few manufacturers. Today's transports and lasers are of a high consistent quality, and for the average user, will last the lifetime of the unit. Stories of lasers failing suddenly and randomly are largely false, and most problems are related to slipping belts, dirty/dusty laser lenses, and mis-alignment problems related to poor handling. Not sure of the current status of discs, but there was a period in which the disc construction was poorly executed, and separation and deterioration of the user interface layer and the information layer underneath caused significant problems in the reading of discs by the laser. Overall, and notably Sony brand players have demonstrated above average reliability in long term playback ability. Many Technics players also are very reliable. Select Pioneer and Onkyo units likewise garner very high user satisfaction reviews. One must give allowance to the wide range of environments and handling variables that a CD player and the CD itself must endure while being expected to produce a satisfying sonic experience. Most good to high quality CD players will pass with flying colors, and continue to do so thousands of plays later. On a play per dollar basis, it is very hard to fault the better quality brand players. Simple maintenance and reasonable handling usually produce outstanding reliability. :D