Laptop sound

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio
jackie

Laptop sound

Post by jackie » 12 Aug 2019 17:08

Any laptop experts out there? My new laptop sounded thin via a Realtek 24/48 device si bought a nice 24/96 DAC to connect to the USB on the laptop, still sounds a bit thin, any ideas what I can try? Thanks.

tcolegrove
United States of America

Re: Laptop sound

Post by tcolegrove » 12 Aug 2019 18:14

With a 24/96 USB DAC you should be getting great sound. I'm doing that with a Dragonfly (Black) DAC from Audioquest and I'm constantly blown away at how good it sounds.

I wonder if your sound might still be going through the onboard sound processor. Maybe check your sound properties in the control panel?

jackie

Post by jackie » 12 Aug 2019 18:36

Thanks for replying, I have turned off all enhancements and disabled the on board Realtek driver, I can't understand why it still sounds thin, it's not the DAC because I connected it to my old laptop and it sounded great, it's something to do with my new HP laptop but I just can't figure it, I thought that when you plugged in a DAC it took over all the sound, anybody got any ideas? Thanks.

NOYB
United States of America

Post by NOYB » 16 Aug 2019 23:24

Does the player and DAC driver support WASPI and/or ASIO? If so give them a try to insure bypassing the windows sound system.

jackie

Post by jackie » 17 Aug 2019 19:33

Thank you NOYB, how do I work out if the DAC supports these formats?

NOYB
United States of America

Post by NOYB » 17 Aug 2019 23:44

jackie wrote:
17 Aug 2019 19:33
Thank you NOYB, how do I work out if the DAC supports these formats?
Look at its features, specs, etc. is what I'd do. Depending on the DAC and included software there may be a setting in there that would reveal it's support.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 21 Aug 2019 21:09

What player program are you using? There are those that don't support ASIO or WASAPI. I wouldn't bother with any player that didn't support at least one of them.

FWIW: Music Bee, Media Monkey and Foobar support both. I use WASAPI with Music Bee, Foobar, Virtual DJ or Media Monkey all under Win10. ASIO is actually for Win7 and earlier OS's. However it does work under Win10.

jackie

Post by jackie » 23 Aug 2019 18:30

I use iTunes, media monkey and Spotify premium

josephazannieri
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by josephazannieri » 23 Aug 2019 19:34

Yo jackie:

My experience with laptops is that they have these little 1 inch speakers in little holes underneath the screen, and nothing much to drive them. This of course will give shrieky, tinny sound just like my Toshiba laptop. If you intend to play music on your laptop, you should get a decent set of stereo speakers with their own amplifier and plug yourself into them when you are using your laptop at home. There are lots of pretty good inexpensive computer speakers, and some very good expensive computer speakers like the Audioengines. I have a connector from a 3.5 mm male TRS plug to 2 color coded male RCA plugs that lets me plug from the laptop into my big home stereo rig and makes the laptop sound really good.

And good luck from that well connected old guy,

Joe Z.

hoolio
Australia

Post by hoolio » 23 Aug 2019 22:41

Does your laptop have a USB 3 port? Your DAC may work better through that.

NOYB
United States of America

Post by NOYB » 23 Aug 2019 23:47

Unless already solved, I think it would be prudent to supply the details of your setup.

Player being used, the audio host (MME, DirectSound, WASAPI, ASIO), and the selected output device.
DAC model and any settings
What the DAC is being output to
etc. don't skimp; TMI is better that NEI.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 24 Aug 2019 17:55

jackie wrote:
23 Aug 2019 18:30
I use iTunes, media monkey and Spotify premium
Is your laptop a Mac or Windows box? I ask because there are very few Windows users who use iTunes. If using Windows 10 I suggest Media Monkey, Music Bee or Virtual DJ. All of which support WASAPI. Using WASAPI bypasses the Windows mixer which is known to have a negative effect on sound.

jackie

Post by jackie » 24 Aug 2019 19:02

IT is a windows 10 laptop with usb3, I have a musical fidelity v-2 DAC which sounds great through my Rega planet CD player, almost as good as the DAC inside the Rega, it also sounds good connected to my old knackered laptop, when I connect it to my brand new HP laptop it sounds c**p, thin, like I'm playing a cheap radio. I have disabled the Realtek pc driver and turned off all enhancements. I use media monkey for flac, iTunes for ripped CDs and Spotify at 320 Kbps. I guess it's just no good.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 24 Aug 2019 19:18

Have you checked the settings for Media Monkey? Media Monkey does not automatically install WASAPI. Neither does Music Bee. Virtual DJ (great for amateur DJ's) does. You still have to edit the settings to use it.

EAC (Exact Audio Copy) is widely considered to be the standard for ripping CD's. It is sometimes a bit slower than many rippers. However, it does bit-perfect rips. I've ripped all of mine (~1500) to FLAC using EAC.

NOYB
United States of America

Post by NOYB » 24 Aug 2019 23:52

Is there perhaps a software EQ somehow being involved? For example if you were using WMP, I know you're not, but it has a software EQ with some presets.

As a test you might install Audacity and select the WASAPI host. If that were to play well it may narrow down where the problem is. A lot of people are familiar with Audacity and it supports WASAPI out of the box. So may help with troubleshooting. Could also perhaps solicit help from the Audacity forums.