using dvd player for transport

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio
sunderwood
United States of America

using dvd player for transport

Post by sunderwood » 08 Aug 2019 15:21

At the present I am using a Cary cdp1 cd player. It works very well and I hope it lasts for a long time. One of these days it will need to be replaced as nothing lasts forever. I have a Rega dac that works like new that I am not using right now. I was wondering how good it would sound if, when the time comes, I just get a dvd or blue ray player from Walmart or Target and just run the digital out to the dac. I will be using the dvd player for a transport only. My understanding is that the only thing the transport does is read the disc and send the information to the dac. The transport will either read it or it wont. I figure some of you have tried this and would like to know your experience.

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Re: using dvd player for transport

Post by andybeau » 09 Aug 2019 21:06

Should work just fine

Mr Pig

Post by Mr Pig » 10 Aug 2019 20:28

Try it.

I have a BlueRay player connected to my Rega DAC all the time. I play movies through it but I have played CDs through it. For music I use a Rega Saturn-R as a transport. I have also tried a Naim CD5XS, various Phillips CD players and a couple of DVD players.

Transports don't all sound the same. The Saturn sounds the best. The Naim and Phillips CD players worked ok, just not as good as the Saturn. The DVD players were ok too but a bit further down the pecking order.

What you connect the boxes with matters. Coax sounds the best. Different coax cables sound different too. I use a really cheap one because I think it sounds better than the ones I've tried costing hundreds. You don't need to spend a lot to find kit that works. If the Saturn broke I could use a cheap DVD player as a transport no problem. Yes, it is worse but it's not terrible.

jackie

Post by jackie » 14 Aug 2019 14:46

When I tried this with my Sony bluray player I was disappointed, logic says it should sound fine but it gave a thin sound, proof that transports matter, don't know why though.

sunderwood
United States of America

Post by sunderwood » 14 Aug 2019 15:16

I seem to remember reading that everybody gets their lasers assemblies from one or two suppliers. If that is the case then the difference in sound would not be from the lasers themselves. When I have seen photos of the insides of players it is evident that the transports of more expensive players are much sturdier made. Maybe that is the reason. You do get what you pay for. I am certainly not an expert in this area. It still amazes me that you can get the good sound you get by pointing a laser at a pit in a shiny disc or by placing a needle in a groove. As I said in my original post I hope my Cary player lasts a long time. It does a good job and is built well.