Need new CD player with other digital capabilities

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio
vmd254

Need new CD player with other digital capabilities

Post by vmd254 » 12 Jul 2019 23:02

Hello - so I have $500 - $1000 to spend on a new CD player. I do not know much about coming into the new digital age - but would like to. I would like to be able to have a music server, ability to either plug in my phone or laptop and get high quality digital music streamed through my system. Someday I would like to buy a set of headphones. I have a Sansui G-9700 receiver with Pioneer HPM 1100's which is wonderful for my vinyl, cassettes, and my CD players are both on the fritz.
Appreciate any recommendations and advice you can offer. Thank you

analogaudio
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Need new CD player with other digital capabilities

Post by analogaudio » 13 Jul 2019 00:20

If you are in N America the brands NAD and TEAC should be on your shopping list, both have good websites.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 13 Jul 2019 01:45

I would recommend NAD also.

BTW, I have my TV, a MP3 player, and a PC's sound fed into my stereo via a source switch .
So in reality, any integrated amp can be fed anything that is compatible. :)

vmd254

Post by vmd254 » 15 Jul 2019 15:01

thank you, I will check out NAD and Teac. I read a review in "What HiFI?" of a Marantz CD6006 UK edition. What do you think of modern Marantz quality?

NOYB
United States of America

Post by NOYB » 16 Jul 2019 07:48

CD's are the old digital age. If you want the new digital age, FLAC it all and stream it from your favorite media player.

Please lets not have a CD comeback too.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 16 Jul 2019 09:07

Marantz still makes excellent products and their newest CD players has digital inputs so you can play external media through the built-in D/A converter in the CD-player, this is still quite a rare feature among modern CD players even if more and more makers are doing it. But it is more common to have this functionality in an amplifier, combining an amplifier with a built-in D/A and wireless networking and digital inputs, so the amplifier becomes a "digital audio HUB". A maker such as Audiolab has gone so far so that their entry level CD-player is not a CD-player, it's a CD-transport because the D/A electronics has been moved to the amplifier. But if you want a CD-player that is also a "digital audio HUB", then Marantz is a good maker for that.

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 16 Jul 2019 09:08

I have the Marantz CD6004 and have had no problems with it over the 7 years I've had it.

Mr Pig
Scotland

Post by Mr Pig » 04 Aug 2019 22:29

If you buy a decent DAC you can plug any digital source you like into it. Including playing your CDs through a DVD or BlueRay player.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 14 Sep 2019 03:24

vmd254 wrote:
12 Jul 2019 23:02
Hello - so I have $500 - $1000 to spend on a new CD player. I do not know much about coming into the new digital age - but would like to. I would like to be able to have a music server, ability to either plug in my phone or laptop and get high quality digital music streamed through my system. Someday I would like to buy a set of headphones. I have a Sansui G-9700 receiver with Pioneer HPM 1100's which is wonderful for my vinyl, cassettes, and my CD players are both on the fritz.
Appreciate any recommendations and advice you can offer. Thank you
Double to 5x your price, you can get what you want. Otherwise, you don't get everything you want.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 14 Sep 2019 03:26

Mr Pig wrote:
04 Aug 2019 22:29
If you buy a decent DAC you can plug any digital source you like into it. Including playing your CDs through a DVD or BlueRay player.
But it is no music server without hard drive storage and A/D capabilities and ripping. Those features, among those he wants, cost way more. Blu-Ray is also best for playing Blu-Ray movies. HDMI and HDCP are also an A/V thing. They do not belong in audio. Many high end audio companies don't offer them.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 15 Sep 2019 03:02

I have the Marantz CD6006 but not the UK version......I love it.....very sweet CD deck.

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 15 Sep 2019 22:50

I don't know why anyone spends money on a CD player anymore.
I ripped all my CDs bit-perfect to my computer hard drive, stored as FLAC files. No fancy CD drive is necessary.
Get a good DAC and you can play back all your digital music in any order you want, without any CD error correction, and never have to handle the CDs again.
Never worry about the CD player breaking.
Can't remember the last time I played a CD at home.

NOYB
United States of America

Post by NOYB » 16 Sep 2019 04:06

Also CDs have a relatively short life span. Some of the early stuff is already rotting. So those of you who have them should get them ripped ASAP while you still can. If you really need to play as CD then rip as image with cue sheet/file. From that you should be able to burn duplicates as needed.

Disc rot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 16 Sep 2019 07:14

Sunwire wrote:
15 Sep 2019 22:50
I don't know why anyone spends money on a CD player anymore.
I ripped all my CDs bit-perfect to my computer hard drive, stored as FLAC files. No fancy CD drive is necessary.
Get a good DAC and you can play back all your digital music in any order you want, without any CD error correction, and never have to handle the CDs again.
Never worry about the CD player breaking.
Can't remember the last time I played a CD at home.
But what about the harddisk breaking? :)
Harddisk are likes tyres on a car, they need to be replaced from time to time.
So with all music stored on a harddisk, you need a backup.

NOYB
United States of America

Post by NOYB » 16 Sep 2019 08:58

A backup is needed regardless of whether music is stored on a disk drive or CDs.
Disk drives get replaced as part of computer upgrades/replacements. Kind of like new car comes with new tires. ;)
FLAC on multiple listening devices such as a PC based media center and also on smartphone. And there is the backup. NAS is reasonably affordable too. Maybe even a cloud backup service.

Some people with large CD collections may wake up some day to collection of coasters and frisbees.
Makes me cringe to think about people with CD collections in the thousands. Just think how much $$$ was spent building that collection. And it could rot out from under them and be worthless. From a collection standpoint vinyl with it's likely much longer shelf life should be much better.