Inexpensive new CD player.

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio
goatbreath
long player
long player

Inexpensive new CD player.

Post by goatbreath » 09 Apr 2019 12:35

That's my Third Arcam CD player in a Row on the Blink..
I don't use my CD player very often,this can apparently make the drawer sticky
and stop it loading longer CD's..
It's months since I last used it..
I generally like the sound of Arcam CD Players..

I just want a CD player that works when I want to play my CD's..
I obviously don't want it to sound awful or fatiguing..
The Arcam people have commented has a more vinyl like sound..
That may be bull of course..I thought it sounded the best out of the players I could afford..
Budget,a couple of hundred at most and new,then it won't cost as much to replace..
I'm sick of them not working...

I want to avoid second hand..

Thanks for any advice.. :D :D

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Re: Inexpensive new CD player.

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 09 Apr 2019 14:53

Inexpensive and new is the only one available at Conrad.com, but cannot say where is the build quality of the unit. This is some taiwanese production.

https://www.conrad.com/p/black-renkforc ... mm-1173734

markcass
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by markcass » 09 Apr 2019 15:49

Hi

I don't know whether you might find some stock of the discontinued NAD 516BEE still available. I used a 515BEE for some time, and found it was always reliable. I still have it, even though I'm now using the new Arcam CD and SACD Player/Streamer.

The cheapest current NAD player is a bit above your budget at £249. The cheapest Marantz and Yamaha players are both available from Richer Sounds for £200, and should be solid choices.

HTH

Mark

goatbreath
long player
long player

Post by goatbreath » 09 Apr 2019 20:29

I have ordered a Marantz CD5005 from Richer Sounds,
I didn't have enough for the CD6006,been spending money on styli..

Thanks for the advice..I don't know how long the Marantz will last..
Hopefully more than a year.. :)

I don't use CD very often,but have quite a few.. :)

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 09 Apr 2019 21:51

Marantz is good, it will last for a long time. But nowadays they are made in China. My Denon from 2000 is also made in Malaysia but still running.

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 09 Apr 2019 23:55

Location of manufacture doesn't matter too much, as long as the company manages quality control effectively.

plyscds
United States of America

Post by plyscds » 11 Apr 2019 19:57

Let's talk a bit about old CD players.

I got my first CD player in 1989. It was a close to entry level Pioneer mode (Pioneer #1)l. It worked for maybe 3-1/2 years before it mysteriously refused to play anything beyond track three on any CD I had. So it went into it's box in storage in the basement.

Meanwhile, before that player developed it's "attitude" I acquired a second Pioneer model (Pioneer #2, 1992-ish), sporting a few more additional bells and whistles than the first one, for a secondary stereo system I decided to set up. It played flawlessly for more than a decade and a half before it stopped reading inserted discs. I opened it up and found the laser's lens missing, later found on the bottom of the case. It went off to the repair shop and has played flawlessly since it's return.

To replace the mysteriously uncooperative Pioneer #1, I returned from the stereo store (1994-ish) with a Sony unit (Sony #1) which has been soldiering on flawlessly since it's date of purchase. It carried me through the local turntable drought (a dearth of records and turntable parts I experienced between 1989 and 2005). During this period I bought and played a lot of CDs and the Sony kept belting out the tunes - as it still does to this day.

Then, one day, perhaps two years ago I was in a thrift shop looking for records when an incredibly basic and lonely-looking Sony CD player (Sony #2) caught my eye. It sported a price tag of $4.00, the equivalent of forty cents in 1970 money. I brought it home, and it played beautifully and dependably, until visiting energetic grandchildren helped reveal it's sensitivity to floor vibration. A little web research revealed that this model was known for this trait. A little web research led me to a seemingly expensive quartet of neoprene pads to fasten to it's hard plastic feet. The pads eliminated the sensitivity issue which lets me sit back and let me enjoy this Sony's very nice sound.

And then recently, while looking through some stored boxes in the basement, I rediscovered Pioneer #1. I decided to see if it still had it's performance block after track #3. I put in a CD and it played it perfectly - no more stalling out at the end of track 3. It continues to perform flawlessly.

I have considered buying a newer CD player, just to hear what they sound like. The disturbingly high incidence of new-out-of-the-box problems and failures puts me off. True, some people get products that work. And other people get products that work in a disappointing way. While others return products for replacements that are previously returned defectives repaired with replacement parts of untested dependability, which may unfortunately be of equal quality to the part which originally failed. But that's OK if the replacement part carries the component past it's warranty expiration date before it's next failure.

New or pre-owned. It seems you could lose or win either way. :?

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 12 Apr 2019 14:57

Another approach would be an older CD player or new DVD player that has digital out, RCA or optical. Combine this with a high value DAC with a comparable digital input. Topping and Schiit have DACs under $150 that have digital as well as USB inputs. These low priced DACs easily out perform the onboard DAC in a 10 or 15 year old CD player or new budget DVD player.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 12 Apr 2019 15:28

I have a Marantz CD 63 KI Signature. I bough it 2nd hand about 8 years ago. I have repaired it once, the laser optics and mechanism needed some work to be done. It was not expensive and I felt it was worth to keep it going. It has worked perfect ever since. I don't feel like replacing it. :) This is a classic CD player from the late 90's.

goatbreath
long player
long player

Post by goatbreath » 14 Apr 2019 19:31

Trading in Marantz CD5005 and paying money on top for Cambridge Audio CXC Transport and DACMAGIC plus..
The Marantz sounds nowhere as good as the Arcam did..Nowhere near it..
I guess it isn't in the same price bracket ,but even registering that,it still isn't great..
It isn't very listenable at all..The bass is all wrong,there is no involvement,it sounds muddled..
It just doesn't sound like music..
I tried putting it on my old Mission Isoplat which improved it very slightly..
It basically sounds awful..I've tried to get on with it..
The Cambridge Audio package is really well reviewed and looks a way better bet..
Pricier,but I could not live with the Marantz CD5005..
I always looked at the Richer Sounds linked Cambridge Audio stuff as pure Budget items,but they seem to have been building a good reputation and more ambitious stuff....

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 14 Apr 2019 19:46

goatbreath wrote:
14 Apr 2019 19:31
Trading in Marantz CD5005 and paying money on top for Cambridge Audio CXC Transport and DACMAGIC plus..
The Marantz sounds nowhere as good as the Arcam did..Nowhere near it..
I guess it isn't in the same price bracket ,but even registering that,it still isn't great..
It isn't very listenable at all..The bass is all wrong,there is no involvement,it sounds muddled..
It just doesn't sound like music..
I tried putting it on my old Mission Isoplat which improved it very slightly..
It basically sounds awful..I've tried to get on with it..
The Cambridge Audio package is really well reviewed and looks a way better bet..
Pricier,but I could not live with the Marantz CD5005..
I always looked at the Richer Sounds linked Cambridge Audio stuff as pure Budget items,but they seem to have been building a good reputation and more ambitious stuff....
Try Pro-ject CD box S, for a little more money. It is compact unit with good internal components. I hope that you could send Marantzs back as a refund.

RussW

Post by RussW » 14 Apr 2019 21:09

Rip your CD's to digital files, playback via DAC. That solves the CD player issue entirely. You also won't have to worry about laser rot, but keep a backup copy for drive failure concerns.

Shadowman82

Post by Shadowman82 » 14 Apr 2019 21:17

I'm also thinking of getting a new CD player as my JVC acts up sometime , I'm leaning towards the cheapest Yamaha CD player .

goatbreath
long player
long player

Post by goatbreath » 14 Apr 2019 21:36

RussW wrote:
14 Apr 2019 21:09
Rip your CD's to digital files, playback via DAC. That solves the CD player issue entirely. You also won't have to worry about laser rot, but keep a backup copy for drive failure concerns.
I have over 1'000 CD's..I think they deserve a player.. :D

The Cambridge stuff looks well built,is reviewed well and seems a solid option..
It also means I can trade my Marantz back to the same shop..

goatbreath
long player
long player

Post by goatbreath » 14 Apr 2019 21:45

Shadowman82 wrote:
14 Apr 2019 21:17
I'm also thinking of getting a new CD player as my JVC acts up sometime , I'm leaning towards the cheapest Yamaha CD player .
Well I would stroke the Marantz 5005 off your list..
Plus I also read it develops lots of loading errors etc..

I owned a Yamaha CD player for about a month quite a while ago now..
It sounded pretty good,but not as good as the Arcam that replaced it,
but that was more money..

Yamaha make great value for money stuff,guitars and keyboards too..
I hear their Motorcycles aren't too shoddy either..
Good Company..

I listen to mainly vinyl,but CD is a handy convenience and I have a lot of them..
So have decided to spend a little more/make myself skint..
I do the same thing with guitars ,but don't regret it.. :D