I can cancel out crackle, but can you crackle out vinyl noise?

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio
DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

I can cancel out crackle, but can you crackle out vinyl noise?

Post by DarthMaul » 27 Mar 2019 02:05

I have known for a while that this webpage describes of a way to digitally cancel out low level crackle from records. Would this work for vinyl noise?

http://delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm#clean_decrackle

If so, how would I go about doing it using a method similar to the one here?

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: I can cancel out crackle, but can you crackle out vinyl noise?

Post by jdjohn » 01 Apr 2019 18:38

The process described should take care of both crackle and noise. He says here, "1. Get a noise fingerprint from the WAV file to be decrackled. In other words, find a section that contains only noise and light crackle, but no music."

I've used Audacity to do this. He gives it some props in the beginning of the article, although he prefers CoolEdit2000 just because of his familiarity with it.

zlartibartfast
United States of America

Post by zlartibartfast » 01 Apr 2019 18:57

I do something like that with Sound Forge - I usually get my noiseprint from the lead out section, but if that region is especially noisy, then I'll find space between 2 tracks somewhere near the middle of the disc.

It's best to tread lightly with noise reduction - it's easy to over-do it, and end up removing musical content

ChrisfromRI
United States of America

Post by ChrisfromRI » 09 Apr 2019 22:49

I use a Burwen Dynamic Noise Filter in my 78 rpm playing setup and it works very well. People that have heard me play 78s always comment they never heard 78s sound so good.

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 11 Apr 2019 01:53

I've found that Audacity used in a judicious manner is quite effective in removing rice crispies, ticks, pops and general noise from the LP's that I rip.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 13 May 2019 19:40

DarthMaul wrote:
27 Mar 2019 02:05
I have known for a while that this webpage describes of a way to digitally cancel out low level crackle from records. Would this work for vinyl noise?

http://delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm#clean_decrackle

If so, how would I go about doing it using a method similar to the one here?
The two software packages I use to digitize vinyl: Roxio's Easy LP to MP3 and Audacity, have adjustable digital filters which can target clicks and globally reduce LP noise to the extent necessary to eliminate pops and noise.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 16 May 2019 00:36

FWIW.....
Back in the latter '70s, there was a unit on the market to eliminate pops and clicks etc on vinyl.
However, competent and known audio reviewers of the day said that it gave what was described as a "pumping sound" as the electronics (of the day) struggled to eliminate the unwanted sounds .
So, it was more of an expense novelty that did not usually work all that well.

Of course, digital electronics has come a very long way since then but now, vinyl is no longer king and a stand alone physical unit is no longer economically feasible..

AFAIK......There are just now a couple of units that will allow you rip LPs to digital as it eliminates most unwanted noise but will they wiil not eliminate pops and clicks in real time when playing vinyl normally...without ripping to digital.