Mixing old and new

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio
alfonsol

Mixing old and new

Post by alfonsol » 28 Oct 2018 02:57

I have an old geloso console (geloso g.502 chassis). It has been always on my family.
I repaired the electronics some time ago. the sound is very good for a console from 1950 that was intended to play am radios and 78 records.
I replaced the changer with a garrard rc-80 because the one that was in the console was destroyed. On the rc-80 i have 2 headshells with a GE-VRII and a shure SC-35 to not damage stereo records. i added for now a behringer phono preamp.

I also added a bluetooth receiver ( i have bought several cheap ones before i found one that i like) At first i planned to install it inside, but i wil lput it on a wood box and install it outside, so i don't have to modify the console.

The results are a lot better than i expected. doesn't have too much highs but is very pleasant to listen. It's incredible how loud it can be a class A 6v6 with a 12" speker.

The last month i used it a lot and i am very pleased with the results.

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Re: Mixing old and new

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 01 Nov 2018 00:30

Hola alfonsol :)

Great to hear your project is going nicely. Would you care to post some pictures? I'm sure many here at VE are curious to see them.

Best from the Pampas,
roberto

alfonsol

Post by alfonsol » 17 Nov 2018 03:48

Is not finished yet. I have to put the rails so i can slide outside the turntable. Also i decided to put externally the bluetooth receiver so i don't have to modify the cabinet. I only installed a connector and a switch on the back so i can connect it.

Here is a video when i was testing he turntable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPivnk9Aiek

it sounds better in person than in the video

the chassis from this radio was imported from argentina, and the cabinet is made in chile. the dialhave the cities from argentina.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 12 Feb 2019 19:02

I was thinking about a project I did last year when I came across this related thread, so I'll mention mine. Desperate to get outside for a change and do some fishing and camping, having a SD card in a phone filled with a few weeks of music, but lacking any decent portable or Bluetooth speakers, or extra funds to buy a set, I decided to get creative. Having previously ordered a tiny $6 Bluetooth 4.1 car radio module I never used, I dug out a old beat up Sony boombox that had decent sound and long battery life and put the two together. This was simply spliced in series with the 2 radio audio wires, grounded and it's red wire connected to the power switch, then the module attached with hot melt glue to inside of radio case. After adding a filter capacitor across the module itself and replacing the radio's tiered power supply filter capacitor value with one of twice the value to reduce digital noise and hum, it works and sounds very good. The only shortcoming of this module is that the radio will return briefly between songs, easily remedied by tuning to a quiet spot on dial. While it will play longer with just the radio, I still could get at least 2 good nights of listening from 6 of the cheapest 3 for $1 D batteries.

Old work radio or Bluetooth speakers?
IMG_2024.JPG
(59.35 KiB) Downloaded 72 times