Single disc CD player

compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio
Adamo0926

Single disc CD player

Post by Adamo0926 » 03 Jan 2018 00:26

While I don't have a beautiful setup like so many do here, I would like to know
what your recommendations are for a modest single disc CD player that I could get used on EBay or elsewhere online for about 300.00.

There is a Rotel RCD-990 on Ebay right now for 388.88....what are your thoughts on that machine ?

I'm looking for a player that is neutral sounding but detailed without being harsh or shrill.

Thank you.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Re: Single disc CD player

Post by JDJX » 03 Jan 2018 01:29

Im a big fan of NAD
I got a NAD "C516BEE" CD player ($300 new) a few years ago and I really like it.

It sounds much better than the Teac CD player that it replaced....it sounds smooth and detailed.
It also recognizes both commercial and burned CDs quickly.
I can recommend it without any reservations.

Nothing will make a silk purse out a sow's ear of course but, this will bring out the very best of a good, well mastered CD. :)

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_745C516BE ... e&skipvs=T

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 03 Jan 2018 05:12

I am happy with this Technics (SL-PG350) I got over the summer...The MASH technology is a great thing!

The guy I bought it from even threw in this free Sanyo linear tracker, if I wanted it!

Plus, it helps complete my new Technics system (SA-101 receiver (I have an SA-300, too), Onkyo cassette deck, SL-D202 turntable w/Ortofon Concorde STD cartridge)! More fun "toys" to play with, at least for me! :wink:

The Realistic equalizer was another one thrown in, although I don't know if I will use it yet, if at all...Still, one does not argue with free! :wink:

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 03 Jan 2018 06:58

As a general rule, the better Sony single players are all very good in my experience. I have a CD470, CD490 and a CD590, all which produce very clean music. These are all eqipped with the TOTL mechanisms and lasers for the time. The 490 has dual converters, and is my favorite or the three by a slim margin. But, my absolute favorite, believe it or not, is a relatively ancient Technics SL-P111, which has a Burr Brown converter, plays everything, and has a truly uniquelly clean sound to it. As far as I know, completely original, and still runs perfectly...every time. Amazing, and the best $14 I ever spent! As mentioned previously, the MASH equipped Technics players are amazing fly under the radar machines, and often available for not much money. Tray mechanism and laser is what it is all about, the player doesn't know what name is on the case. And a majority of those components are made by a very few companies. Being old technology (generations wise), choose reliability first. Good luck... 8)

Adamo0926

Post by Adamo0926 » 03 Jan 2018 17:59

JDJX wrote:Im a big fan of NAD
I got a NAD "C516BEE" CD player ($300 new) a few years ago and I really like it.

It sounds much better than the Teac CD player that it replaced....it sounds smooth and detailed.

Nothing will make a silk purse out a sow's ear of course but, this will bring out the very best of a good, well mastered CD. :)

I have read very good things about NAD CD players...I have a vintage NAD 7175PE receiver and have been very pleased with that piece)

analogaudio
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by analogaudio » 03 Jan 2018 19:12

Also consider the units made by TEAC.

Adamo0926

Post by Adamo0926 » 04 Jan 2018 15:14

Anyone familiar with a Denon DCD-900 ? I can't seem to find much info or any specs on it.

tamarmole

Post by tamarmole » 04 Jan 2018 17:37

Adamo0926 wrote:
JDJX wrote:Im a big fan of NAD

I have read very good things about NAD CD players...I have a vintage NAD 7175PE receiver and have been very pleased with that piece)
Another (qualified) vote for NAD. I have a NAD 521BEE which set me back £60 on fleabay. After a while mine stopped reading discs, a common fault by all accounts. A simple tweak of the pot on the laser sorted it. Sounds superb.

majerjack

Post by majerjack » 04 Jan 2018 18:29

I have done quite a bit of research on this subject, as I want to get a spare CD player of good quality while they are still being manufactured. It is my intention to obtain a new model with modern digital-to-analog converters, my assumption being that digital converter technology has advanced since my last purchase. That purchase was a Sherwood Newcastle CD-980T, which appears to be a bit of a sleeper in that not many people have heard about it and apparently not very many were sold. It has DAC chips which were thought by some to be the best of the time, the Burr Brown PCM-1702K. These were 20-bit chips that should deliver the full 16 bits that are encoded on CDs. The "K" suffix indicates the "select" grade of chips. I modified it with Burr Brown OPA2134 op amps and polypropylene capacitors on the analog outputs, and I can report that it does not sound harsh, cold, or sterile. I have not looked for this model since I purchased mine, but if I remember correctly I paid about $350.00 USD for a new one.

Like many other music lovers I am restricted by my budget. I had previously thought I would get as a spare an Onkyo C-7030, which was said to be quite a bargain at under $200.00 USD and had excellent sound quality and good reliability. Unfortunately the recent reviews I have read are indicating a decline in apparent build quality, with a number of units failing after about a year.

I looked at quite a few other single CD players, focusing on those in the $500.00 and under range. The one that looks like the best of all those is the NAD C546BEE
which has the features I desire and has received excellent reviews. It retails right at $500.00 USD. Given NAD's reputation for quality, I would assume that the $300.00 USD C516BEE would be a good alternative.

For me personally, I have to decide whether or not I want to cough up the $500.00. I do have enough other gear to make up two complete sound systems, so......?

And welcome back, Adamo0926. I remember you well.

tcolegrove

Post by tcolegrove » 04 Jan 2018 19:14

In your search for a CD player - be sure to check out any of the Sony players that are part of the 'ES' line (ES is the last two characters of the model number). I have the CDP-222ES and really love the sound it produces. There's a few available on eBay now in your price range.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 04 Jan 2018 21:29

Further to the above Sony ES recommendation , some careful sleuthing will show that there are TOTL non-ES models that have the same build and specs as the ES units, usually only differing in packaging details and non-significant optional features. The performance of their better units cannot be denied. Significant price differences at the time of purchase, with no playback differences. The same likely applies to other quality brands as well. :D

Slavikcc
Canada

Post by Slavikcc » 08 Jan 2018 14:46

You can also take a look at any used CD players that uses the TDA1541 DAC chipset, made by Philips. My Nakamichi CDP-2A CD player sounds really nice due to the aforementioned DAC.

danmanch

Post by danmanch » 08 Jan 2018 16:19

Bought an Onkyo C-7030 a couple months ago and I've been pleased. Worth a look and you'll be under budget.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 07 Feb 2018 21:51

Big issue with used CD players, is the laser still good?. Does it have useful life left. If laser good, and you like the player, all fine and good.

Adamo0926

Post by Adamo0926 » 07 Feb 2018 22:00

I actually got my old Nakamici OMS-2A back from my friend. He had purchased it from me back in the 80s when I bought my Nakamici CD Player2. It was in his basement collecting dust so he gave it back to me.

I spent 100.00 to have it refurbished and now it plays like it's new. I actually think it sounds a bit better than the next generation Nakamici that I had moved on to. It also has the classic Nakamici look which the CD Player2 does not have.
VE4.JPG
(113.64 KiB) Downloaded 271 times