compact disc, dacs, mp3 players and streaming audio
Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Re: CD or vinyl?

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 14 Mar 2019 20:11

dysmike wrote:
14 Mar 2019 15:01
Analogue recording is much more expensive than digital.
Of course, because of material, machines, longer process. The same like with film industry and photography. Everything digital is much cheaper, analog process becomes more and more expensive. At the end the average Joe doesn`t hear the difference if something was recorded digitally or analog or movie was shot digitally or with a classic film. So industry is forcing digital. More money stays in pockets.

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 14 Mar 2019 20:18

Vinylfreak86 wrote:
14 Mar 2019 20:11
dysmike wrote:
14 Mar 2019 15:01
Analogue recording is much more expensive than digital.
Of course, because of material, machines, longer process. The same like with film industry and photography. Everything digital is much cheaper, analog process becomes more and more expensive. At the end the average Joe doesn`t hear the difference if something was recorded digitally or analog or movie was shot digitally or with a classic film. So industry is forcing digital. More money stays in pockets.
To be honest, we have a lot more independent bands now than we did before the advent of digital recording. Which means more music, and less main-stream corporate music. That's never a bad thing.

As for digital photography, do I miss silver halide? Meh, sometimes. I did a lot of alternative processes, those were fun. Building and shooting pinholes, that's fun. Using a photocopier as a camera, that's fun.. however...

Occasionally I'll get a wild hair and decide that I miss the darkroom. The truth is, I don't. I end up with more consistent and higher quality output because the process is just so much easier, and so much more controlled. Also, with a good quality color managed TIFF sent through to a professional lab the prints are difficult to tell the difference between. Unless you're going to go look with a loop, and way back in the day I could tell you what film you used that way too, also not a huge deal.

I'm not even sure most people can hear a difference, I HIGHLY suspect that there is simply good quality masters, and bad quality masters. There are people I've played KNOWN digitally recorded material for who insist it was AAA, and vise versa. Confirmation bias... that's pretty heavily at play in the audio work in general IMO.

And I suspect, if I'm honest with myself too, a whole lot of nostalgia for pre-digital times.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 14 Mar 2019 23:19

dysmike wrote:
14 Mar 2019 20:18

And I suspect, if I'm honest with myself too, a whole lot of nostalgia for pre-digital times.
That is the reason why I am using soviet film SLR for my hobby photography. Because I want photos to look like from "better" times. :) This doesn`t mean they look better like with 500 eur new DSLR. They look worse, but they look vintage. When I had the discussion about digital recording with one owner of a record store, he put a jazz record on a turntable and asked me if it was analog or digital recorded. I said analog, but he showed me the cover where I could read "digital".

Shadowman82

Post by Shadowman82 » 15 Mar 2019 00:19

As long as the digital master recording is at a high enough resolution it really doesn't matter I think .

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 15 Mar 2019 01:12

Again my friends, all sound is analog 8)

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 15 Mar 2019 12:21

Roberto C2H3 wrote:
15 Mar 2019 01:12
=D> =D>

Fire99
Canada

Post by Fire99 » 16 Mar 2019 01:46

Both- vinyl first, CD second

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 17 Mar 2019 12:40

CD or vinyl is maybe outdated comparison, because we don`t live in 1989 or 1990 anymore. In times of web we are not the victims of TV advertisements anymore with which Help CD player gained popularity through 80`s. Now we can make serious discussion or analyse on the web and final conclusion is that CD is inferior to vinyl and in times of streaming and digital donwload even more or less unnecessary format.

Nigel Gomez
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by Nigel Gomez » 17 Mar 2019 14:28

Vinylfreak86 wrote:
17 Mar 2019 12:40
CD or vinyl is maybe outdated comparison, because we don`t live in 1989 or 1990 anymore. In times of web we are not the victims of TV advertisements anymore with which Help CD player gained popularity through 80`s. Now we can make serious discussion or analyse on the web and final conclusion is that CD is inferior to vinyl and in times of streaming and digital donwload even more or less unnecessary format.
That's your opinion.Your pure biased opinion about CD's vs vinyl.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 17 Mar 2019 15:02

Nigel Gomez wrote:
17 Mar 2019 14:28

That's your opinion.Your pure biased opinion about CD's vs vinyl.
But I have in mind LP vs CD (as it was released in 1982) not some later derivates such as SACD, "high res" CD and DVD. These can bring out more than a standard CD, but will also cost you much more like staying on vinyl.

Nigel Gomez
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by Nigel Gomez » 17 Mar 2019 15:43

Again,it's your own opinion.

Millions of people deserted vinyl because the disadvantages of vinyl are legion....especially surface noise,warping,flipping records for long classical or progressive rock pieces,poor quality vinyl,headache of cleaning vinyl and more.As for sound quality it's a toss up.

I didn't jump on the CD bandwagon until the late nineties(Cassettes and vinyl only until ...) but the first CD I bought blew me away totally(Blood Sugar Sex Magic).

I listen to all three formats to this day.

hobie1dog
United States of America

Post by hobie1dog » 17 Mar 2019 15:48

Roberto C2H3 wrote:
15 Mar 2019 01:12
+2

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 17 Mar 2019 16:15

Nigel Gomez wrote:
17 Mar 2019 15:43

because the disadvantages of vinyl are legion....especially surface noise,warping,flipping records for long classical or progressive rock pieces,poor quality vinyl,headache of cleaning vinyl and more.As for sound quality it's a toss up.
All these things are not so problematic if you are precise and take more time to handle with vinyl. It is not a format for instant use. Even with cheaper carts and on second-hand records I don`t have any problems with surface noise, but here the quality of construction of a tonearm is important.
Scratched record can be played, scratched CD cannot be played. And to look at the collection of records means something to all, to the person which came into the room and to the owner. To look at the collection of CD`s means nothing, you won`t even see them. But yes, the quality of vinyl (both pressing and mastering) is hit&miss.

Nigel Gomez
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by Nigel Gomez » 17 Mar 2019 16:36

They are no problem for us who are willing to go through all the maintenance and cleaning routines which are necessary for good quality vinyl playback.Not all music lovers want to clean and maintain vinyl.

However the masses have decided that Digital is more convenient in a more fast paced world where so many forms of entertainment compete with listening to records.

The mass market decides.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 17 Mar 2019 20:21

Nigel Gomez wrote:
17 Mar 2019 16:36

The mass market decides.
That is 100% true. That is the reason of decline of vinyl at the end of 70`s when cassette tape became more quality format and cassette decks became serious hifi equipment. Masses wanted tape, I think that in USA they said: "Smash those records, now we have a tape!". :) That was the first serious challenge for a vinyl record as a format. The dominance was crushed.