Classical LP's

Buy, sell or swap your old records
greenstar

Classical LP's

Post by greenstar » 13 Aug 2019 12:28

I don't know if this is an FAQ, but I hope not. Through a contact on another forum (vintage radio) I have been given several hundred classical LP's. I am into classical music, but this is way over what I can cope with. What is worse, is that they apparently come from a dealer who is only interested in rock'nroll etc, and who seems to receive large quantities that are left with him for disposal. Currently they are tipped. My batch came through a friend of his, who takes out what he wants, which are I believe 40's 78's. There are 78's as well at times.
The quantity is something like 2-300 classical LP's a week. I find it distressing to see this happening.
For anyone interested there is a source here of free records. Of those I have most are 'good' labels, RCA, HMV, EMI, etc plus many more obscure, ranging from 60's-80's. I imagine every batch will be unique, and they are not cherry picked. I have not seen one in other than very good condition.
My main interest is in Baroque, early music, and chamber, although I love other areas, but will restrict myself for the sake of space - I am at capacity, my home is stuffed out. In some ways my ideal solution would be to share collection with one or more people, and be able to take a few of interest for myself. From the last batch of maybe 1000 I really wanted about 10, although will keep a lot more. I need to pass the excess LP's - at the moment maybe 300 to dispose of currently occupying my sofa.

They are near Peterborough, I am in Leicester, UK.
Tony

BangandOlufsen

Re: Classical LP's

Post by BangandOlufsen » 15 Aug 2019 03:15

I would be interested if you were closer… I am down in Southampton, if you can pack them I could pay a courier to move them

greenstar

Re: Classical LP's

Post by greenstar » 15 Aug 2019 08:24

No, I am sorry, the whole thing is I need to save myself time and effort in collection and dispersal. I do not have time or resources to collect what could be a few hundred a week. Also, only a few % are 'audiophile' labels, although most are good quality, in the batch I have. I'll give it until the weekend and then try the local Freecycle.