the home of the turntable

Ortofon Salsa

the thin end of the wedge

Ortofon Salsa

Postby bonkfrog » 14 May 2007 23:58

Some opinions please!
I'm using one of these MC cartridges in my modified RB300 arm and, generally speaking, I quite like it. However, sometimes I find the treble a bit harsh, especially with piano (I'm using a YS Audio Balanced Preamp and Leak Stereo50). Is this a failing with this cartridge or do I have to look to my arm setup?
Perhaps my ageing ears need refurbishment?

Cheers

Bonkfrog
bonkfrog

Postby bastlnut » 15 May 2007 08:32

hallo,

Ortofons do have this tendency in the treble.
there are some tweaks you can do to help.
i would look to damping the cartridge arm interface.
try a thin cutout piece of 1 or 2mm polypropelene sheet between the cartridge and arm, watch the VTA...
also try a fibre washer between the arm and armboard.
the bearings might need a look too in case there is a bit too much play.
stretch an o ring over the armtube.

try the damping trough from Audio Origami.

regards,
bastlnut
bastlnut
long player
long player
contributor

Switzerland

Postby Guest » 15 May 2007 11:09

Hi,

I use a MC15SmkII, which is seems much the same as the Salsa,
though it may be some details have changed, in a Rega RB250.

The treble is not on the reticent side, some records can tend to sibilance,
but I've never found this apparent on instrumental music, only on what
can be described as overproduced popular music.

I might as well state the obvious - Do you have to look at your arm set up ?
Well on a basic level of course you do - and you should know how well its set up.

You say "a bit harsh". Is this a tonal thing ? Or the dreaded mistracking harshness ?

If the former BN's suggestions are good, the latter - a different can of beans ....

:)/sreten.

Postby Abandonflip » 15 May 2007 19:40

How about a change to the VTA setting. Perhaps lowering the arm mount (I know this can be a little difficult with Regas) or a thicker mat might quell the sharp treble a little.
Abandonflip
long player
long player

Postby bonkfrog » 16 May 2007 00:39

Thanks guys for the advice.
It's a tonal thing and I've changed the vinyl mat for the original felt & that seems to have helped.
I think I'll have to do some tweaking; maybe adjusting VTA for sound & try damping the cartridge - I can recall the sort of damping the Garrot Bros and Vanden Hul did on my Ortofon SPU-GTE: like plasticene!
Of course, it could be the phono stage (NAD PP2); it's not the best quality. I'll consider building a MC stage at some future time.

Cheers
bonkfrog

Postby Guest » 16 May 2007 17:40

Hello Bonkfrog, I remmembered reading a review of your cartridge in Hi-Fi World magazine so looked it up. It is covered in issue 02 vol 17 for April 2007. The review deals with both the Salsa and Samba. The Salsa was described as being clear and balanced in a rb250 arm and the reviewer actually said he thought it was one of the most balanced carts around £200. On the Samba he reported what you are noticing, a sharp edge to the sound due to a measured raised treble. I dont know whether you can look up the 'measured performance' on the internet site for the magazine but it's interesting you are noticing a trait seen in another model in the range. Cheers Ben.

Return to Cartridges and Preamps