the home of the turntable

Boston Acoustics - A70 Series II

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers

Boston Acoustics - A70 Series II

Postby cat9 » 04 Nov 2013 00:28

Image.jpg

Hello all,

A bit of time ago I listened to a pair of Boston Acoustic A100's - Series One - and loved them.
The dealer who had them had a ridiculous price on them and I'm pretty sure they are still there.

I came across these A70's - Series Two - they are virtually mint and were purchased by a collector
2 years ago from the original owner and used sparingly since then.

For those of you who have either owned them or heard them - what are your thoughts compared to the A100's?

These would simply be a second speaker system that I would rotate out occasionally in a vintage system I have in the "man-cave" - Pioneer SA-6800 Integrated / Pioneer S-710 mirror speakers / Harman Kardon T60c TT.

What do you think a reasonable price to pay for these would be? I think I could get them for around $75.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

cat9
cat9

Canada

Re: Boston Acoustics - A70 Series II

Postby Joe in Seattle » 04 Nov 2013 01:37

I recall listening to these speakers at the time they debuted. I was shopping for a pair for my son. If I recall correctly, we preferred that a 7o to the A1oo. Of course, this was years ago, but I remember the smaller speakers sounding more coherent and the 100 level speaker sounding a bit bass heavy.

In any event, if they sound good to you – they are good. I liked them enough to buy a pair for our son. I believe he still has them
Joe in Seattle

United States of America

Postby jjrenman » 04 Nov 2013 01:45

At the shop where we had the entire Boston line on demo, the 70's greatly outsold the 100's. Joe in Seattle description sums it up fairly well.
jjrenman

United States of America

Postby Long John » 04 Nov 2013 20:38

They are a nice sounding speaker, have a check of the foam surrounds if possible.
The foam needs replacing down here about each 12 years, maybe our climate.

Cheers
Long John

Australia

Postby cat9 » 04 Nov 2013 22:15

Thanks for the feedback everyone!!

Well they are mint! This guy is a major collector and has the most impressive stash of vintage gear I have personally ever seen. His basement is nothing but racks of Yamaha, Pioneer, Luxman, Marantz, etc amps, receivers, pre-amps….more then a dozen pairs of speakers and on and on it goes.

He pays a premium for mint gear so nothing comes cheap from him. Although I did buy my Harman
Kardon T60c TT below market value from him about a year ago.

It was hinted at them being a little less - he wants what he paid for them and that is $120. There are 2 other pairs of A70 Series II for sale on local sites for $125 and $150 respectively. They are not in as good condition as these.

I realize that price doesn't always factor in when someone really wants something bad enough.
I am not in any panic for a pair of BA's but am interested in adding some one day.

Is $120 just plain stupid for these?

Thanks,

cat9
cat9

Canada

Postby Alec124c41 » 05 Nov 2013 03:19

That is a reasonable price to pay, if you like the sound. You may not find another pair in that condition.
My impression of BAs was that they were one of the cleaner sounding lines.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Postby mbarkofske » 06 Nov 2013 05:41

Last year I was in a thrift store and they had a pair of BA790II for 14.95 and a pair of BA150 for 24.95 (every so often you get lucky) Cabinets and grills were perfect just needed cleaning. The surrounds were shot. If you replace them get originals there is a guy on E bay in Florida that sells them. Also replaced the caps. Both sound really nice. The 70s are good for a small room since you can put them next to the wall.
Enjoy
mbarkofske

Postby mbarkofske » 06 Nov 2013 05:43

Ooops BA a70s not 790s
mbarkofske

Postby cat9 » 06 Nov 2013 20:52

mbarkofske wrote:Last year I was in a thrift store and they had a pair of BA790II for 14.95 and a pair of BA150 for 24.95 (every so often you get lucky) Cabinets and grills were perfect just needed cleaning. The surrounds were shot. If you replace them get originals there is a guy on E bay in Florida that sells them. Also replaced the caps. Both sound really nice. The 70s are good for a small room since you can put them next to the wall.
Enjoy

Maybe you get lucky at Thrift's once in awhile!! :lol:
Good score - thanks for heads up on surrounds from Florida.

These, as the picture above shows, are absolutely mint. They likely will need surrounds at some point but for now they look and perform flawlessly - according to this fellow.

I will be auditioning them likely next week - as stated he has $120 into them and is willing to sell them to me for $110. He is not advertising them but knows that with all he has in his
collection a little purge occasionally is a good thing - for his wife!!! …and to find more gear.

He is always adding and on the prowl. He admits to being addicted to the hunt. Nobody here understands that right?? #-o

We'll see where this goes - at $110 it's still a premium price but these are pristine and extremely
hard to find in this condition. If I love the sound - as I did with the A100's I heard once - then I just might purchase them for the "cave".

cat9
cat9

Canada

Postby mbarkofske » 07 Nov 2013 00:34

Hey cat9,
I think $110.00 in the shape they are in is a good deal. Not needing the surrounds will save $25.00. Mine are currently hooked up to a Marantz 2226 with 26 wpc and they are very efficient in a small office and sound great.
mbarkofske

Postby cat9 » 07 Nov 2013 00:45

mbarkofske wrote:Hey cat9,
I think $110.00 in the shape they are in is a good deal. Not needing the surrounds will save $25.00. Mine are currently hooked up to a Marantz 2226 with 26 wpc and they are very efficient in a small office and sound great.

Thanks - I think the SA-6800 at 45 wpc will run these with ease and beautifully too!

There is a ton of love out there for the Dynaco A25's. I have never heard these speakers before.
I have a line on a very nice pair of these - been recapped and in excellent shape. With stands too.
But I would need to ship them so I'd probably be into them for around $300 all in - speakers, stands, etc.

Do you (or anyone else reading this) have any experience with the Dynaco's?
Do they blow the Boston's out of the water? Or are the Boston's in the same league?

It's almost $200 difference - would I be that much ahead with the Dynaco's…or not ahead at all?

I realize this is a loaded question with tremendous personal tastes involved but what are your thoughts?

Any and all welcome.

Thanks,

cat9
cat9

Canada

Postby Joe in Seattle » 07 Nov 2013 01:17

$55 each. What other speaker could one by at this price that would sound nearly as good?
Joe in Seattle

United States of America

Postby mbarkofske » 07 Nov 2013 01:45

No experience with the Dynacos. I listen to a lot of jazz,70's rock and soul and I like a brighter sound. Play LPs on a Dual 1229 with an Ortofon OM10 which I am shimming to get a tad more bass but they suit my listening taste.
mbarkofske

Postby cat9 » 22 Nov 2013 04:34

As is sometimes the case - life gets busy and other less important stuff goes on the back-burner.

I will finally go and audition those A70's this coming Tuesday. I am curious how they will sound to me and how impressive or not they are to my ears. It has been some time since I heard the A100's so we'll see if some of that "magic" comes back when I hear these.
cat9

Canada

Postby cat9 » 26 Nov 2013 20:52

Well….I went….I saw….I listened….and I purchased.
They are home safe and sound.
They look as described…mint!
And sounded beautiful - now granted it was his room and his gear but none-the-less, I was very pleased.

I look forward to getting them hooked up to my gear and in my room and giving them a "spin".

I will post my impressions when I can.
cat9

Canada

Next

Return to Amplifiers and Loudspeakers