the home of the turntable

Klipsch Chorus II Rear Firing Passive Radiator

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers

Klipsch Chorus II Rear Firing Passive Radiator

Postby whendricks » 23 Aug 2013 17:07

Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post.

I recently stumbled upon a trove of hifi equipment and speakers.

It all seems like nice stuff. When I was talking to the seller about what all was included off to the side was a huge pair of Klipshes with a single 15" woofer. The cones appeared to have been literally ripped out of both speakers. I turned one of them around and the front grill was in very good condition. I pulled the grill and the horn tweeter mid horn and woofer looked intact. I had been thinking that I did not want to take them because I figured that this would turn into just one more never finished project. Last night I brought the first load of this stuff home which included a mint pair of B&W DM.604s and the Klipsches.

I have Realistic System Eleven receiver and plugged in the B&Ws and as expected they sounded great. So I'm eyeing the Klipsches thinking about how much they weigh and finally I hooked them up thinking these obviously are going to sound like junk with the rear cones torn out.

Well, to my shock they sounded much smoother than the B&Ws and have a really warm sound to them and are easily driven by the little realistic receiver.

My question is should I even bother replacing the the passive radiators?

Wyatt
whendricks

United States of America

Re: Klipsch Chorus II Rear Firing Passive Radiator

Postby MadPom » 24 Aug 2013 03:15

Passive radiators are used as a more expensive alternative to tuned bass ports. You'll get lower bass notes with the radiator replaced. You can adjust the bass by bolting washers on the back of the passive radiator. Try parts express it needn't be to expensive.

If you've got no cash at all then seal hole up making the cabinet air tight and see how that sounds even that should be an improvement.
MadPom

New Zealand

Re: Klipsch Chorus II Rear Firing Passive Radiator

Postby moray james » 26 Sep 2013 07:23

Take a look at this on simple mod that Lynn did this makes a stunning difference. There are a dozen things you can do to extract so much from this loudspeaker they are well worth the effort. yes these are worth a new set of passive radiators try Simply Speakers in Fla or any goo re cone shop they should be able to get you up and running for around a "C" note. Best regards Moray James.
http://www.nutshellhifi.com/MLS/MLS3.html

whendricks wrote:Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post.

I recently stumbled upon a trove of hifi equipment and speakers.

It all seems like nice stuff. When I was talking to the seller about what all was included off to the side was a huge pair of Klipshes with a single 15" woofer. The cones appeared to have been literally ripped out of both speakers. I turned one of them around and the front grill was in very good condition. I pulled the grill and the horn tweeter mid horn and woofer looked intact. I had been thinking that I did not want to take them because I figured that this would turn into just one more never finished project. Last night I brought the first load of this stuff home which included a mint pair of B&W DM.604s and the Klipsches.

I have Realistic System Eleven receiver and plugged in the B&Ws and as expected they sounded great. So I'm eyeing the Klipsches thinking about how much they weigh and finally I hooked them up thinking these obviously are going to sound like junk with the rear cones torn out.

Well, to my shock they sounded much smoother than the B&Ws and have a really warm sound to them and are easily driven by the little realistic receiver.

My question is should I even bother replacing the the passive radiators?

Wyatt
moray james

Return to Amplifiers and Loudspeakers