the home of the turntable

Possible causes for background noise?

snap, crackle and pop

Possible causes for background noise?

Postby robgil » 07 Aug 2013 17:02

I listen to a lot of classical and lately I have been hearing a lot of background noise on the quiet passages.
It sounds like a windy day with the wind blowing outside if that makes any sense?
Any possible causes I should look out for?
robgil

Great Britain

Re: Possible causes for background noise?

Postby jjrenman » 07 Aug 2013 17:17

Check out the suggestions on the "whistling sound" post as to possible causes. You both describe the noise as a windy type sound.
jjrenman

United States of America

Postby robgil » 07 Aug 2013 17:33

I have done , thanks. My noise is more of a deep rumble than a whistling.
I have taken the record I heard it on last and given it a good wash to see if dirty records may be the cause.
robgil

Great Britain

Postby analogaudio » 07 Aug 2013 21:29

Bearing noise may be a possibility, deep rumble may be the noise of the turntable bearing, all turntables have bearings and some are quieter than others. If yours is a vintage unit the bearing may be dry and adding some lubrication could transform things. Similarly with vintage units dismantling, cleaning and re-lubricating the bearing can sometimes clear up bearing noise problems. Discs vary in the quality of equipment used to make them originally, an inferior disc cutting lathe, perhaps used by a smaller independent record company can leave behind on the final pressed disc the signature sound of bearing noise.

If it is the bearing noise of your turntable it may change when you change speed, and it will be the same all the time with all discs.
analogaudio
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby jjrenman » 07 Aug 2013 23:11

My noise is more of a deep rumble than a whistling.
I have taken the record I heard it on last and given it a good wash to see if dirty records may be the cause.

Was the noise different after the wash. Also is the noise always there or just certain albums?
jjrenman

United States of America

Postby robgil » 08 Aug 2013 00:53

I think it might be stylus/cartridge related, it sounds like a dirty record but I put a new record on that has only been played a few times and it sounded rough. It is very noticeable during the run in grooves, in fact it sounds very harsh indeed during the run in grooves.
robgil

Great Britain

Postby analogaudio » 08 Aug 2013 00:55

robgil wrote:I listen to a lot of classical and lately I have been hearing a lot of background noise on the quiet passages.
It sounds like a windy day with the wind blowing outside if that makes any sense?
Any possible causes I should look out for?

what has changed lately in your setup?
Ted

Technics SL1600mk2, AT440MLa, modified TEAC AH500 as a preamp, Bryston 4B ST amp, Harbeth M40 speakers, all making musical magic :-)
analogaudio
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby robgil » 08 Aug 2013 01:45

Possibly alignment, however I just replaced the cartridge for my back up and the noise was still there. Granted my back up cartridge is a cheapest of the cheap but the noise was still there, I used a different alignment for this new cartridge.

I will have a play with alignment and see if it helps, I'll also muck about with tracking force to see if it has drifted but my weight on the arm is pretty secure.

I have already checked VTA and changed it around a bit and it made no difference.
robgil

Great Britain

Postby Rthdio » 08 Aug 2013 10:34

If they're old recordings it's possible that the noise is on the recording rather than generated by your turntable. Microphone noise (hiss from condenser mics) and tape noise are sometimes audible on old recordings.
Of course, that wouldn't explain the noise during the run-in groove.
Rthdio

Return to Turntables and Tonearms

Design and Content © Vinyl Engine 2002-2014

faq | site policy | advertising