the home of the turntable

VPI anti static mat

made in usa

VPI anti static mat

Postby khenegar » 03 Jun 2013 14:15

if you are having troubles with static and haven't been able to find a solution then this is the anti-static mat for you. It's by VPI a very well respected company. I have one and it solved the anti-static problem completely for me. It cost 50 dollars plus shipping. I haven't seen any reviews yet, it is a fairly new item from them. If you do get one please let me know what you think. My table is a VPI classic 1 with a Shure M97xe. thanks
khenegar

United States of America

Re: VPI anti static mat

Postby asheetan » 05 Jun 2013 03:51

Hello khenegar,

Do you have a link or a web site for the mat? I have a VPI Traveler and would like to try the mat since at times I have bad static.

Thanks
asheetan

United States of America

Postby khenegar » 06 Jun 2013 05:53

you can call them or go to there VPI DIY site, i would call and ask for Jason or tell them what you want who ever answers Or email calling is faster. good luck mine worked wonders.
khenegar

United States of America

Postby asheetan » 07 Jun 2013 18:55

khenegar wrote:you can call them or go to there VPI DIY site, i would call and ask for Jason or tell them what you want who ever answers Or email calling is faster. good luck mine worked wonders.

Thank you. I will call VPI and order me one. Anything to get rid of the pesky static.

Thanks for the tip.

Cheers
asheetan

United States of America

Postby khenegar » 09 Jun 2013 12:08

asheetan: were you able to order your VPI anti-static mat ok? if you do get one let me know what you think? thanks
khenegar

United States of America

Postby waynefi » 10 Jun 2013 03:04

HUH ? What is this about, anymore info ?
waynefi

United States of America

Postby asheetan » 10 Jun 2013 21:46

khenegar wrote:asheetan: were you able to order your VPI anti-static mat ok? if you do get one let me know what you think? thanks

Yes I did. I actually ordered it today. Do not have tracking yet to find out when I will receive it. I’ll let you know when I get it. The rep said that it helps a lot with static and that it sounded good; I was not expecting any other response really but since you said it helped I’ll try it. I hate static and my apartment is fairly dry. Anything to reduce it. I would like to figure out a way to ground the Traveler platter as well. That is actually on my to do list.

I’ll let you guys know what I think of it.. Incidentally they only had 3 left in stock when I ordered mine.
asheetan

United States of America

Postby waynefi » 12 Jun 2013 02:44

asheetan wrote:
khenegar wrote:asheetan: were you able to order your VPI anti-static mat ok? if you do get one let me know what you think? thanks

Yes I did. I actually ordered it today. Do not have tracking yet to find out when I will receive it. I’ll let you know when I get it. The rep said that it helps a lot with static and that it sounded good; I was not expecting any other response really but since you said it helped I’ll try it. I hate static and my apartment is fairly dry. Anything to reduce it. I would like to figure out a way to ground the Traveler platter as well. That is actually on my to do list.

I’ll let you guys know what I think of it.. Incidentally they only had 3 left in stock when I ordered mine.

Anymore info about it ? Can you get us a picture when you get it ?
waynefi

United States of America

Postby asheetan » 13 Jun 2013 00:56

waynefi wrote:Anymore info about it ? Can you get us a picture when you get it ?

Easy enough. I’ll take a couple of pictures of it once I get it and I will let you know what I think of it.
asheetan

United States of America

Postby khenegar » 13 Jun 2013 13:41

asheetan: it is a two color mat the gray side goes up black side down. and it can be washed but get info from VPI about care of the mat. good luck hope it turns out for you.
khenegar

United States of America

Postby 930 turbo » 16 Jun 2013 07:58

Hi,

I had this problem before in my TNT 2.5 and my TNT 6 w/c I upgraded to a Classic Aliuminum platter..It had so much static that there was a tendency to drop a record when there's a static discharge. This happened to both this turntable and the solution was to attach a ground wire from the bearing housing connecting it to the ground terminal of your phono preamp. This completely elimated the static problem. No need for a mat.There is a threaded hole at the bottom end of the shaft and its self explanatory how you will attach the ground wire either using an eye or spade connector. I don't like using mats in my vpi turntable.I had the HW19jr,the Mark 4 version, the TNT 2.5 and the TNT6. I've never use a mat.I'm wondering why the dealer or VPI did not suggest this solution.
930 turbo

Postby asheetan » 18 Jun 2013 02:01

930 turbo wrote:Hi,

I had this problem before in my TNT 2.5 and my TNT 6 w/c I upgraded to a Classic Aliuminum platter..It had so much static that there was a tendency to drop a record when there's a static discharge. This happened to both this turntable and the solution was to attach a ground wire from the bearing housing connecting it to the ground terminal of your phono preamp. This completely elimated the static problem. No need for a mat.There is a threaded hole at the bottom end of the shaft and its self explanatory how you will attach the ground wire either using an eye or spade connector. I don't like using mats in my vpi turntable.I had the HW19jr,the Mark 4 version, the TNT 2.5 and the TNT6. I've never use a mat.I'm wondering why the dealer or VPI did not suggest this solution.

I agree with you regarding grounding the bearing housing. Problem is there are no threads on the bottom of the shaft in the Traveler to attach a wire. I tied a wire to the shaft underneath the plinth and grounded it but it did not do anything. The Traveler is a different animal. There is however a place underneath the platter where the spindle screws in that might work. I have not had a chance to look at it closely and figure a way to connect a wire to it. That might work. I’ll see how the mat works. Personally I don’t have anything against mats as long as they don’t dampen things too much. Currently I am using a leather mat and I like the way it sounds a lot.
asheetan

United States of America

Postby 930 turbo » 18 Jun 2013 06:42

There is however a place underneath the platter where the spindle screws in that might work. I have not had a chance to look at it closely and figure a way to connect a wire to it.

That solution works. This was how I was able to eliminate static in my VPI TNT 2.5 w/c had the old style platter , non inverted wiring. It did not have the threaded hole at the bearing shaft end.The OP of this thread has a VPI classic and I'm sure he has the Aluminum platter and I'm sure the end of the bearing shaft has the threaded hole were he can attach a ground wire.
930 turbo

Postby asheetan » 20 Jun 2013 02:05

I received the mat yesterday and here are my findings:

I like the sound of the mat, actually I prefer it to the leather mat that I was using. So sound wise, at least for me is worth using.

It did not eliminate the static. It cut down on the static but did not eliminate it.

It however seems to have eliminated static during playing records. I no longer get static pops while playing records.

There is still static when flipping a record right after playing a side. However if I let the record sit for a bit the static is substantially reduced which tells me that the mat is dissipating the static but in my case not all the way. So I still have a static issue but it is not as bad as it was before the mat.

Next step is grounding the bearing housing. I’ll probably do that tomorrow if I have time, if not during the weekend and will let you guys know how that works out.
asheetan

United States of America

Postby waynefi » 20 Jun 2013 03:03

Don't forget a picture if you can.
waynefi

United States of America

Next

Return to VPi Industries