the home of the turntable

Michael Lim's Subplatter

on level ground

Michael Lim's Subplatter

Postby Blaine78 » 29 May 2013 03:27

Hi,
Anybody using and can comment on Michael Lim's aluminium subplatter?
I have an RP3.
I've heard the subplatter is a good match for Rega, keeps the Rega signature sound.
Groovetracer I find a bit expensive, Lim's price is about right for $150.
Rega RP6/white belt + Nagaoka MP-150 | JRiver + Mytek DSD DAC | Luxman L-505u | PMC TB2i + Skylan stands
Blaine78

Australia

Re: Michael Lim's Subplatter

Postby fretlessVI » 30 May 2013 21:53

I'm using one on my mono P2 that was put together with various parts.I also got a buddy to put one on his RP1. It works perfectly on both tables.
RP6/Audiomods Classic Arm/Ortofon Cadenza Blue/Gus'3 belt subplatter w/silicon belts/Parasound JC3 phono/Shindo Aurieges L/Shindo Montille 6V6/ Harbeth Monitor 30.1
fretlessVI

Canada

Postby Wozza » 30 May 2013 22:53

I would pick the Groovetracer every time, but its your money.
Rega RP6 - Goldring 2500 - Rega Brio R - Mac Mini/Aurdivana+/Audiophilleo2 - Rega DAC - Rega RS3 Speaker.
Wozza

Great Britain

Postby Devilscucumber » 30 May 2013 23:53

Wozza wrote:I would pick the Groovetracer every time, but its your money.

Have you done a direct comparison? (That would be more relevant). I've got one and it is beautifully engineered but unlike the top Groovetracer models there are no pads (Delrin for ref GT sub). I'm now waiting on Gus's Argentinian Sub (another VE member) so I'll have the budget end of the subs well covered.
I added the Zirc bearing from Boca myself, (comes with the top GT) at a small cost and the noise floor dropped away substantially.
Planar 3/Tecnoarm A/Ortofon MC25FL/Michael Lim Subplatter/White Belt/Zirc Bearing/Plinius IIc/Perreaux SM3 & 6000B/Martin Logan Sequel II/+2nd Planar 3/RB 300/Denon DL 110
Devilscucumber

New Zealand

Postby JohnMichael » 31 May 2013 01:37

I have the Deepgroove subplatter and it does all I ask for it to do. I have Michael's braces which are well engineered. If I did not already have a subplatter I would go for Michael's subplatter.
Rega Planar 2, Incognito Rewire, Michell Technoweight, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, 24V and TTPSU, FF Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, Benz MC Gold, Fanfare 3 w/PSU
JohnMichael

United States of America

Postby Devilscucumber » 02 Jun 2013 01:08

Just another thought, Rega uses direct aluminum contact with the glass platter on the RP 6 so I'm wondering if decoupling is really the aim or if the metal contact further deadens the glass anyway?
Planar 3/Tecnoarm A/Ortofon MC25FL/Michael Lim Subplatter/White Belt/Zirc Bearing/Plinius IIc/Perreaux SM3 & 6000B/Martin Logan Sequel II/+2nd Planar 3/RB 300/Denon DL 110
Devilscucumber

New Zealand

Postby tomytoons » 02 Jun 2013 16:40

Strange they should have just made it all metal. That short plastic spindle too.
Pathos Classic One MKII, Clearaudio Emotion CMB Carbon Satisfy Arm, Usher CP6371, Monolithic/Modwright Mod & Custom PS, Cinmag stepup, ATOC9/ML II, Dyna 10X5, Marantz SA15 S2 Ltd., all "Silver Series" WyWires.
tomytoons
contributor

No Flag

Postby Blaine78 » 11 Jun 2013 01:36

Devilscucumber wrote:Just another thought, Rega uses direct aluminum contact with the glass platter on the RP 6 so I'm wondering if decoupling is really the aim or if the metal contact further deadens the glass anyway?

Same goes with subs for the P9 and RP8. Is why i'm thinking Lim's sub closer to Rega sub platter than other offerings.
There are a few sub platters to choose from. Still undecided. GT are out of my price range and find bit over priced too. Lim and Argentinian sub-platters are reasonably priced and likely to choose one them.
Rega RP6/white belt + Nagaoka MP-150 | JRiver + Mytek DSD DAC | Luxman L-505u | PMC TB2i + Skylan stands
Blaine78

Australia

Postby accelor8 » 12 Jun 2013 07:54

I added the reference GT to my P3-24 before knowing Mr Lims products even existed but have added all of his bits and heard a distinguished sound improvement every time. Michaels parts are precision machined and he is a gentleman to deal with so I personally would have no hesitation purchasing the subplatter
accelor8

Postby Devilscucumber » 14 Jun 2013 00:08

Blaine78 wrote:
Devilscucumber wrote:Just another thought, Rega uses direct aluminum contact with the glass platter on the RP 6 so I'm wondering if decoupling is really the aim or if the metal contact further deadens the glass anyway?

Same goes with subs for the P9 and RP8. Is why i'm thinking Lim's sub closer to Rega sub platter than other offerings.
There are a few sub platters to choose from. Still undecided. GT are out of my price range and find bit over priced too. Lim and Argentinian sub-platters are reasonably priced and likely to choose one them.

I'm going to install the Argentine sub platter in my second Planar 3 sometime in the next few days, (its got the same Denon cart as yours), I'll post my impressions. It does have black rubber decoupling rings (for the glass platter, according to Gus). Its definitely much heavier (stainless steel) than Michael's aluminum sub. Don't know if this is desirable re-wear in the bearing well?
Devilscucumber

New Zealand

Postby tomytoons » 14 Jun 2013 02:17

The hub is aluminum, also very nicely made good price too.

"6061-T6 Aluminum hub"

You are right it looks much heavier and not machined out. That is not going to resonate at all.
Pathos Classic One MKII, Clearaudio Emotion CMB Carbon Satisfy Arm, Usher CP6371, Monolithic/Modwright Mod & Custom PS, Cinmag stepup, ATOC9/ML II, Dyna 10X5, Marantz SA15 S2 Ltd., all "Silver Series" WyWires.
tomytoons
contributor

No Flag

Postby Blaine78 » 15 Jun 2013 05:32

Devilscucumber wrote:I'm going to install the Argentine sub platter in my second Planar 3 sometime in the next few days, (its got the same Denon cart as yours), I'll post my impressions. It does have black rubber decoupling rings (for the glass platter, according to Gus). Its definitely much heavier (stainless steel) than Michael's aluminum sub. Don't know if this is desirable re-wear in the bearing well?

Love to hear your thoughts when you get Argentinian platter installed. :)
Blaine78

Australia

Postby Devilscucumber » 16 Jun 2013 02:00

tomytoons wrote:The hub is aluminum, also very nicely made good price too.

"6061-T6 Aluminum hub"

You are right it looks much heavier and not machined out. That is not going to resonate at all.

Quite right! Aluminum not stainless hub. Just felt very heavy.
Michael's also has a dispersal pattern machined onto the top surface.
Devilscucumber

New Zealand

Postby Blaine78 » 21 Jun 2013 01:07

Hi DC,
Have you had the chance to test out Michael's Subplatter? Thinking it could be the one for me.
Blaine78

Australia

Postby Blaine78 » 21 Jun 2013 06:51

*oops, I meant Argentinian platter.
Blaine78

Australia

Next

Return to Rega