the home of the turntable

FLIMSY vinyl?

radio, tape, stands and accessories

FLIMSY vinyl?

Postby Emit » 07 Mar 2013 14:20

I remember K-tel... <shudder> but I have some vinyl from Chrysalis (REO speed wagon/hi infidelity) that is on very flimsy vinyl. I suppose this was a cost cutting measure, something done in a certain era...or was it the standard from some companies?

I have stuff now from the 70's and 80's. Most of it is on some pretty sturdy stock. I wonder about the crappy stuff.
Emit
banned

Re: FLIMSY vinyl?

Postby pivot » 07 Mar 2013 14:59

Might bear some relation to RCA "Dynaflex"

I am not aware of a RCA/Chrysalis connection however.

See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynaflex_(RCA)
Kevin R-M

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Hamlet Act 1
pivot
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Emit » 07 Mar 2013 15:07

That looks like the best explanation. I think I would be in the camp that felt RCA was just trying to save money, not improve the product.
Emit
banned

Postby LousyTourist » 08 Mar 2013 13:32

I have one dynaflex record, a Jefferson Airplane, and to my ears it sounds quite good. If I found others in thrift stores I would not hesitate to buy them, at least based upon the dynaflex aspect.
LousyTourist
contributor

United States of America

Postby pivot » 08 Mar 2013 14:52

LousyTourist wrote:I have one dynaflex record, a Jefferson Airplane, and to my ears it sounds quite good. If I found others in thrift stores I would not hesitate to buy them, at least based upon the dynaflex aspect.

Have a recording on Dynaflex vinyl of "Pictures at an Exhibition" with Seiji Ozawa conducting the Chicago Sym, early in Ozawa's career.

Maybe not on the top rank of demo sonics but not bad sounding at all.

I would not refuse to buy a Dynflex but would not pay a premium either.
Kevin R-M

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Hamlet Act 1
pivot
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby smeg68 » 09 Mar 2013 14:00

I have a copy of the Icicle Works 'Blind' LP which weighs in at 80 Grammes. It almost flops over my hand like a rag when I put it on. Naturally, it is one of the best sounding LP's I own :D
Lenco 88 / Kuzma Stogi S / Decca London Super Gold
STD 305S / LAD Jelco 370D / Digitrak 300SE
Pink Triangle LPT / Rega RB250 / Audio Technica AT-OC5
Rega Planar 3 / Michell Technoarm / Goldring Excel GS
smeg68
contributor

Postby 1200y3 » 09 Mar 2013 16:46

How does a warped Dynaflex compare with other warped records?
1200y3
long player
long player

Postby davidsss » 10 Mar 2013 10:31

I recently bought a copy of Cosmo's Factory. It is an old copy but there's no date on it and Discogs has no date on this pressing either. It is most likely a US pressing. Very flimsy vinyl but sounds very good. I wouldn't avoid flimsy vinyl, wouldn't buy it by choice either.

DS
Micro Seiki BL51 TT, Stax UA7 Tonearm, RCM Sensor Prelude Phono Stage, Dynavector XX-2 MkII Cart, Rotel RCD865BX Cd Player, Melody I34R amp and Osborn Epitome Speakers.
davidsss
long player
long player
contributor

Australia

Postby Emit » 11 Mar 2013 17:29

Sounds like my fear of the thinner vinyl is unfounded...
Emit
banned

Postby Brianev » 13 Mar 2013 17:31

Hi, my Michell actually comes with a conical centre piece, so that when the clamp is used it does flatten out these albums, and surprising it works very well, but I never use it on anything above 120gms as I think it puts too much pressure on the album.
Regards
Brian
Brianev

Great Britain

Postby smeg68 » 17 Mar 2013 18:22

Brianev wrote:Hi, my Michell actually comes with a conical centre piece, so that when the clamp is used it does flatten out these albums, and surprising it works very well, but I never use it on anything above 120gms as I think it puts too much pressure on the album.
Regards
Brian

I don't follow this logic. Surely a heavier album will suffer less from a weight placed upon it than a thinner one? Not that any album will actually suffer at all - it's a bit of flexible plastic. It's not going to break like shellac after all.
Lenco 88 / Kuzma Stogi S / Decca London Super Gold
STD 305S / LAD Jelco 370D / Digitrak 300SE
Pink Triangle LPT / Rega RB250 / Audio Technica AT-OC5
Rega Planar 3 / Michell Technoarm / Goldring Excel GS
smeg68
contributor

Postby ginniegatrit » 17 Mar 2013 19:47

I bought every Bowie album until 1986 or so. Got lots of Dynaflex. Maybe that's why I had to buy three copies of "Diamond Dogs"? :(
Seriously though, on the systems I had, I couldn't tell any difference in sound quality. Some of his albums - Pinups, Diamond Dogs, Station to Station and others sound great. I always thought the drums sounded quite good on Bowie albums.
ginniegatrit

Canada

Postby Tim70_99 » 17 Mar 2013 22:56

Flimsy vinyl = better than no vinyl. Dynaflex sounds the same as any other vinyl to me, if it's in good condition and clean no need to worry about it.
Way too much spent on gear......
Tim70_99

Great Britain

Postby geoffcb » 20 Mar 2013 02:47

As long as it's looked after (no major warps) I think the thinner vinyl sounds ok. I always use a record clamp/weight anyway. The thinner vinyl will affect your VTA, but I'm just not that pedantic!

Back in the 70s, when these thinner records came out, we noticed you could wobble them like a wobble board. My friend used to call them "Rolf Harris records"! (For those who know Rolf Harris, you will understand!)

I remember RCA records (Australian pressings) were the first to get thinner, but they still had good sound quality.
geoffcb

Australia

Postby Emit » 20 Mar 2013 13:58

geoffcb wrote:As long as it's looked after (no major warps) I think the thinner vinyl sounds ok. I always use a record clamp/weight anyway. The thinner vinyl will affect your VTA, but I'm just not that pedantic!

Back in the 70s, when these thinner records came out, we noticed you could wobble them like a wobble board. My friend used to call them "Rolf Harris records"! (For those who know Rolf Harris, you will understand!)

I remember RCA records (Australian pressings) were the first to get thinner, but they still had good sound quality.

My initial concern was lack of bass, due to lower rigidity. Id think that this type of vinyl would work better on a table with a vacuum system. I definitely don't want AC/DC to sound like they are yodeling.
Emit
banned

Next

Return to Other Stuff

Design and Content © Vinyl Engine 2002-2014

faq | site policy | advertising