the home of the turntable

Silcron Turntable

snap, crackle and pop

Silcron Turntable

Postby George_M » 16 Feb 2013 05:21

While googleing about T/tables came across one of this forum member asking about the Australian made Silcron T/tables.
I think that I am amply qualified to answer most questions, as I personally made a few thousand of them, and assembled a large number on cases with floating plinths.
If information is still wanted, please email me.

Cheers,

George
George_M

Australia

Re: Silcron Turntable

Postby nat » 17 Feb 2013 01:26

Rather than just waiting around for questions, I hope you will post whatever you can on the company, what you did, how the production line worked and so on -- I imagine there is interest on the part of of many who do not own the turntables -- I would be surprised if there were any in the US, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to know about them.
nat
long player
long player
contributor

Re: Silcron Turntable History

Postby George_M » 17 Feb 2013 05:22

Hi Nat,
Unfortunately I do not have the time right now, but it will be pleasure to give you a background info re these turntables in the near future
George_M

Australia

Postby discguy » 17 Feb 2013 12:12

Hi George, they were the days , Silcron, JH Turntables, when some things were made in Aust!
discguy

Postby George_M » 07 Oct 2013 03:45

nat wrote:Rather than just waiting around for questions, I hope you will post whatever you can on the company, what you did, how the production line worked and so on -- I imagine there is interest on the part of of many who do not own the turntables -- I would be surprised if there were any in the US, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to know about them.

Production line? No such a thing, just a large room behing a Hi-Fi shop, workers, just myself, early model fitted with a spanned aluminium platter, comming up in the world to a gravity cast one and finally using pressure-cast.
Manually doing the balancing and straightening, perhaps we were doing a reasonable job, in a blind test a panel could not distinguish between The Silcron and a Linsondek
George_M

Australia

Postby abelb » 07 Oct 2013 08:21

Hi,
I'm curious about the history of these turntables. I have a JH which I've restored and use at my office. I was wondering where they were made. I've heard "Chadstone" thrown about, what was the HiFi shop? Also, I understand these tables were regularly modded by enthusiasts back in the day. What are some of the common mods for these? Also, was the Mayware Formula 4 tonearm the main arm sold with these? Was it your own version of the Mayware? Thanks,
abelb
contributor

Postby btd » 07 Oct 2013 12:10

I don`t know anything about their turntables but I have owned a set of their speakers since 1986.
There not the best but are still doing garage duty today.

btd

Australia

Return to Turntables and Tonearms