the home of the turntable

Bib Model 42 Groov Kleen

how clean is your house

Bib Model 42 Groov Kleen

Postby goatbreath » 13 Feb 2013 17:30

I'm wondering how badly this device affects sound Quality..My Jico Sas tip sometimes builds up a nice little bit of fluff by the end up a side,,being a tiny nude tip,,I'm bothered this could start to cause mistracking..It hasn't happened often that it has became nasty..I clean my records with a Moth machine,,I would never play a record with the SAS that hadn't been thoroughly cleaned,,but stray fluff can still land on them..This would hopefully stop the problem dead though..I'm just bothered that it will have a detrimental effect on sound quality..

I have had one lying about doing nothing for a while,,does anyone have an opinion on this contraption...Is it better than the Watts Dust Bug for instance..
goatbreath
long player
long player

Re: Bib Model 42 Groov Kleen

Postby albertan » 14 Feb 2013 19:19

A lot of the junk your stylus is picking up comes from the record sleeves. Paper are the worst. Paper is abrasive as well as fibrous. Even expensive plastic sleeves will have small amounts of debris. Platters and platter mats are also good places for dust bunnies and other particles to reside. Periodic replacement of felt platter mats is a good idea. Cleaning your stylus every play and the use of a RCM will help but will not totally alleviate this problem you describe.

House cleaning such as steam cleaning rugs, washing the floors and the walls, and good thorough dusting of the residence all abet better analogue sound.

I have been busy doing significant renovations to my home and after every job comes the inevitable house cleaning. It is time consuming but necessary.
albertan

Postby ripblade » 16 Feb 2013 21:05

The dust bug is useful for keeping the record clean as it plays, but is no substitute for a handy record duster. I would use both, and clean each after every side.

Btw, the best way to clean these implements is with a sticky roller. Instead of flicking the dust into the air and back onto the record, the sticky roller picks up the dust and holds it till the roller itself is cleaned.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WASHABLE-STIC ... 5d3a49ad2d

Be aware that these are not an inexpensive alternative to the Nagaoka Rolling 152 record cleaner. The sticky compound in the lint roller is too grippy and will shed some of the compound in the grooves. I know because I've tried it. They are otoh, useful for maintaining the tack of the Nag roller between washes.
How boring it would be, this endeavor
If all we heard was "perfect sound forever"
ripblade

Postby goatbreath » 17 Feb 2013 15:28

Yeah I use a lint roller on my Sondek Mat because the mat is double sided sticky taped onto the outer platter..So I already have one... :D

I have a Moth cleaning machine too,,but as I said the SAS stylus is just so tiny it is affected by fluff etc,so much easier..
goatbreath
long player
long player

Postby troyvogel » 19 Feb 2013 01:01

Do not use a lint roller on albums!

do not even use those gummy reusable ones they sell for picking up pet hair from couches. Like Ripblade said, most of these are either too sticky or deposit things onto the lps.

Instead, I use lint rollers for cleaning the felt mats and the vpi cleaning machine cork platter. It also works on my velvet dust brush.

I am curious about the Nagaoka but not hundreds of dollars worth of curiosity so I have not tried buying one. I wish I could get my hands on one, I bet then I would buy it if I could try it.
troyvogel

United States of America

Postby goatbreath » 19 Feb 2013 21:48

I thought he was talking about cleaning the velvet roller bit on my groov clean,,not the record..I use a Moth cleaning machine for the records... :D :lol:
goatbreath
long player
long player

Postby ripblade » 20 Feb 2013 00:27

troyvogel wrote:I am curious about the Nagaoka but not hundreds of dollars worth of curiosity so I have not tried buying one. I wish I could get my hands on one, I bet then I would buy it if I could try it.

Hundreds of dollars? Good grief, where are you looking? They have gone up, but bargains are still available; you should be able to find one in $60-$70 range.

Once you realize nothing else really picks up the dust, you won't want to be without one.
How boring it would be, this endeavor
If all we heard was "perfect sound forever"
ripblade

Return to Record Cleaning and Storage