the home of the turntable

What Turntable is good value?

snap, crackle and pop

What Turntable is good value?

Postby Bristolian » 20 Jan 2013 16:46

After a long break from vinyl (20 yrs +) I recently tried to play some records on my old Fisher MT100, with a Cambridge P25 amp, and some old Akai 3 way speakers. It was fine after I fitted a new belt (the old one had disintegrated!) It didn't take long for the sound quality to drop and then the right channel to disappear. I checked the connections to the cart and for anything obvious (loose wires etc.) to no avail. The turntable was never my ideal choice, but my budget as a 15 year old meant it was the only one I could afford. Now I'm much older (but much wiser!) I was thinking of replacing the turntable. Would it be wise to look for a used classic or go for something new and modern? I'm thinking of spending no more than £200.00 as this stage. Are there any used 'bargains' out there?

Any advice would be very welcome!

Many thanks

Steve
Bristolian

Great Britain

Re: What Turntable is good value?

Postby satanfriendly » 20 Jan 2013 17:02

I've noticed prices are dropping on E-Bay for good quality turntables. Just a quick browse throws up the likes of Rega Planar 3's, Thorens 160's and Linn Axis' at below £200. Worth having a look as any of these will set you well on the way for a quality front end. .

You will more than likely need to change the cartridge, but the likes of a an Audio Technica AT95e (around £35) will see you good. You might even have change left to replace what I think are pretty 'run of the mill' speakers.

Just make sure the arms are included otherwise it will probably end up a nightmare for you.
................................................................................2972.58734590245 = 28
satanfriendly
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Sao Tome Principe

Postby Bristolian » 21 Jan 2013 11:11

Thanks for that. Just to confirm, is it better to by a decent used classic rather than buying a highly rated new budget turntable {Pro-ject Essential etc)? Hifi reviewers test these new items and say how great they are but don't mention how they compare to older models.

Thanks
Bristolian

Great Britain

Postby Mark E Smith's Dentist » 21 Jan 2013 11:24

£200 new doesn't go a long way with new turntables, the sort of thing you can get secondhand and vintage for that money would be more like £5-600 nowadays in terms of build quality.

Even if you're still thinking of something recent you'll get much better value secondhand, you could go several models up the Pro-ject range or with luck you could get a gently used Technics 1210.

JT
Technics SP-10mkII/Rubato copper mat/SME V/Dynavector Karat 17D3, Rega R200/Goldring Legacy, Whest PS.30RDT, iFi iPhono. Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional RCM.

Cables: wet string.
Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby Bristolian » 21 Jan 2013 12:35

Thanks again. My search has begun!

Steve
Bristolian

Great Britain

Postby PeterW. » 21 Jan 2013 15:02

Bristolian wrote:After a long break from vinyl (20 yrs +) I recently tried to play some records on my old Fisher MT100, with a Cambridge P25 amp, and some old Akai 3 way speakers. It was fine after I fitted a new belt (the old one had disintegrated!) It didn't take long for the sound quality to drop and then the right channel to disappear. I checked the connections to the cart and for anything obvious (loose wires etc.) to no avail. The turntable was never my ideal choice, but my budget as a 15 year old meant it was the only one I could afford. Now I'm much older (but much wiser!) I was thinking of replacing the turntable. Would it be wise to look for a used classic or go for something new and modern? I'm thinking of spending no more than £200.00 as this stage. Are there any used 'bargains' out there?

Any advice would be very welcome!

Many thanks

Steve

With my skills and history and within the price-range you suggest, I would look for a vintage Rabco ST-7 or 8, or a Revox B790/795 and do what needs to be done to recondition it.

Just one data-point.
PeterW.

United States of America

Postby satanfriendly » 21 Jan 2013 21:19

The Rabco you will find extremely rare this side of the pond if non existent. The Revox I am sure is a fine TT and there is one on E-Bay at the moment for £199 requiring attention. I have personally kept away from them though because when they go wrong, they can go expensively wrong. For someone wanting a nice sub £200 fix I would suggest something a little easier to deal with.

With my skills and history

What are we supposed to read in to that? Blasé, blasé comes to mind.
................................................................................2972.58734590245 = 28
satanfriendly
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Sao Tome Principe

Postby PeterW. » 21 Jan 2013 21:55

What you may choose to read into that phrase is that I have a history with Rabco and Revox, I have developed (of necessity) the skills to maintain them, and I have accumulated relevant tools for the purpose. For all their superficial complexity, they are remarkably simple beasts and although substantially different from each other, quite easy to maintain once 'there'. I also enjoy Rube Goldberg mechanisms - and the Rabco offers all sorts of opportunities along those lines.

These guys signed their work, by the way:
http://img0054.popscreencdn.com/1208532 ... r-ebay.jpg

Block Diagram:

http://imageshack.us/f/87/schmary.jpg/

So, put another way - they are within my comfort zone - whereas a B&O, or any of several other linear trackers - and most pivot-arm systems as it happens - are not.
PeterW.

United States of America

Postby satanfriendly » 21 Jan 2013 22:26

I accept your honesty in your reply. It probably just read a bit clumsy. Apologies
satanfriendly
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Sao Tome Principe

Postby jives11 » 22 Jan 2013 08:24

Thorens TD150 MKII crop up on ebay in the UK pretty regularly for circa £150 and they are great decks, you just need a cartridge and you are away. There is little to go wrong, and spares are always on offer. My father had one and they are a classic 3 point suspension deck. I may still get one, but think I would always collect. Those arm bearings can be quite delicate

Funnily enough I recently got a Ariston Q-deck (from the same guy selling the Revox - HiFi Hanger in Bordon - great place BTW), and they are pretty good considering that that you see them go on ebay for as low as £40. In terms of Value I'd say hard to beat, Solid plinth and reasonable ARM. Not a fashionable deck as they come from a time that Ariston were in decline, and styling is rather 80's but probably as good as an entry level Project, and follow similar design principles.
Freeway Mad - Hard Rock & Roll from Reading
jives11
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby Bristolian » 22 Jan 2013 10:32

Thanks for all taking the time to offer good advice. I know that each of the different turntables mentioned would be more than suitable for me to use; I just need to wait for the right one at the right price!

Best wishes

Steve
Bristolian

Great Britain

Postby Eoin » 22 Jan 2013 12:55

Indeed. There are a few on here that keep an eye out for bargains, even if not buying for themselves. Keep checking the forum and 'subscribe' to this thread. If anybody find something I'm sure they'll post up. The classifieds here is also pretty good.
Eoin

Postby Bristolian » 23 Jan 2013 20:55

Well, that didn't take long! I seem to have made a purchase on the good old e-bay. I took a chance, I know, but I thought the turntable looked nice (I know looks aren't everything; at least that what I told my wife all those years ago!) Any way, I bought a Pro-ject 6.1 with original arm complete with an Ortofon 540 cart/stylus. Including delivery it was £164.00 so assuming its not a dud, I think it wasn't a bad buy? The e-bay trader was Audio Emotion from Fife, Scotland - it looks like a trade-in they received as they only seem to sell new high end hi-fi.

Any way, thanks for all the good advice I'll keep you posted when I receive/set up the turntable.

Best wishes

Steve

:)
Bristolian

Great Britain

Postby satanfriendly » 23 Jan 2013 21:24

As an honest opinion? I think you've done really well and a very nice turntable. Plenty of advise should you need it as there is a Project section under the manufacturers here on VE.

Additionally I can say Audio Emotion have given good service to myself. My two recent deals with them were delivered well packed, A1 condition and quickly despatched. I hope you get the same service and that the TT is in good working order.

Look forward to hearing further thoughts from you
satanfriendly
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Sao Tome Principe

Postby Mark E Smith's Dentist » 23 Jan 2013 21:26

Well a new Ortofon 540 is the best part of £200 new and the deck looks interesting so for £164 it sounds like a bargain.

JT
Technics SP-10mkII/Rubato copper mat/SME V/Dynavector Karat 17D3, Rega R200/Goldring Legacy, Whest PS.30RDT, iFi iPhono. Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional RCM.

Cables: wet string.
Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player

Great Britain

Next

Return to Turntables and Tonearms