the home of the turntable

Garrard Zero 92- what's this part, and where does it go?

the jewel in the crown

Garrard Zero 92- what's this part, and where does it go?

Postby EXKid » 10 Dec 2012 20:07

Hi all,

I picked up a Zero 92 at the local Wax Museum, and as I was removing it from the plinth, this piece fell out.

Anyone know where it might go? As it stands, I can't get the main cam to engage with the auto start switch. I figure this might have something to do with it.
EXKid

United States of America

Re: Garrard Zero 92- what's this part, and where does it go?

Postby Mark E Smith's Dentist » 11 Dec 2012 09:55

Just a thought - does the manual have an exploded diagram/parts list? I know Garrard did one for the 301/401.

I haven't looked but there's probably a suitable or at least similar manual in the library here.

JT
Technics SP-10mkII/Rubato copper mat/SME V/Clearaudio Victory Lo, Rega R200/Goldring Legacy, Whest PS.30RDT, iFi iPhono. Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional RCM.

Cables: wet string.
Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby EXKid » 11 Dec 2012 13:43

Unfortunately the 92 manual is not available. Looking at the 100, there is a parts explosion, but I can't seem to see anything like this piece. Not sure how much is the same between these decks. I can see at least that the 100 has pitch control (well,motor pulley is variable), while my 92 does not. Looking elsewhere I found that the model 82 is very similar to this as well, but i see no service manual, rather an owners manual.

If I can figure out how to print out the manual given the different paper size, I'll get in a little closer.
EXKid

United States of America

Postby paul401 » 11 Dec 2012 18:07

Hi,
curiosity kicked in when I read your post, so off to Google we go, - found this;
http://www.grandcanyontuberadio.com/rec ... cord_p.htm

Take a look at the 1st and 3rd pic, there is something like the piece you have, clipped onto the arm about 2/3 of the way along from the front.

What it is, what it does - I have no idea - and of course, don't even know if it's correct? :?

I should add, that on other pics on the web it is not shown / present? Perhaps some kind of arm-lock?

However I doubt it has anything to do with switching or linkages, it looks too flimsy. I suspect your main cam start switch issues are more likely the infamous "old Garrard grease", which over time sets pretty solid. Some dismantling and cleaning are the only cure. There are many threads on just this topic.

Paul
paul401
long player
long player

Great Britain

Postby EXKid » 11 Dec 2012 20:05

I'd have to agree, that certainly looks like it. Seems to be a keeper for the sliding weight on the fore of the tonearm. Though it itself seems to slide rather easily -as does the weight.

Thanks!

Now on to that cam. Upon removal of the platter, the cam seems to spin rather freely. I'm looking for whatever engages the cam I think. I've had a Dual that I needed to re-grease the cam in order for it to operate properly. Perhaps diving in will uncover something.
EXKid

United States of America

Postby steve berens » 10 Jan 2013 03:05

that part is to hold the power wire. it clips to the main bearing under neath. Have alot of them extras.
steve berens
contributor

United States of America

Postby steve berens » 10 Jan 2013 03:06

i have a manual for the 92
steve berens
contributor

United States of America

Postby rolyc » 28 Jan 2013 22:46

steve berens wrote:i have a manual for the 92

Hi Steve. I have been looking for a zero 92 manual for a very long time. Is it a user manual or a service manual? Could I get a copy from you? Just tell me your price.

Thanks and Ciao
rolyc

Canada

Postby rolyc » 28 Jan 2013 22:50

EXKid wrote:Hi all,

I picked up a Zero 92 at the local Wax Museum, and as I was removing it from the plinth, this piece fell out.

Anyone know where it might go? As it stands, I can't get the main cam to engage with the auto start switch. I figure this might have something to do with it.

Hi EXKid, I also have a Zero 92, I looked every where and do not see anything like it. Is it plastic or metal? Does it have any break parts, what I mean is, is it a stand alone part or could it be a broken part off something bigger?

Ciao
rolyc

Canada

Postby calgarysaurus » 31 Jan 2013 04:06

Steve is correct. It is just a clip to hold the power wires underneath the table out of the way. I have one on my zero 100 too.
calgarysaurus

Canada

Return to Garrard