the home of the turntable

Connecting receiver to laptop?

the mix tape forum

Connecting receiver to laptop?

Postby RSW » 08 Dec 2012 21:01

I am very new to the audio world and a technology novice as well. I am setting up to convert some LPs to digital, using Audacity software. My questions focus on connecting from a receiver (to which my turntable and tape deck are connected) to my laptop.

A. I can go directly from my receiver to my laptop mic jack with an adapter (RCA to 1/8"). That connection would rely on my laptop sound card. Does this make sense and, if so, what limitations, if any, might result for processes involved in converting from analog to digital or in obtaining quality digital recordings? Would connecting to the laptop through a USB port as opposed to the laptop's mic input jack make any difference in quality?

B. Are better approaches possible, such as using an external audio-to-digital converter? If so, I welcome recommendations with some brief note about what makes them better. Any specific recommendations for equipment would also be appreciated.
RSW

United States of America

Re: Connecting receiver to laptop?

Postby Alec124c41 » 09 Dec 2012 07:15

Variables include your laptop/soundcard.
I use a MacBook Pro, 1/8" plug straight in, Audacity software.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Postby Nidhogg » 17 Dec 2012 07:55

I would also like to know some other options. I have my turntable hooked up to my Denon AVC-2000 and would like some options as to how to connect it to my PC USB port.
Nidhogg

United States of America

Postby twowheelin » 20 Dec 2012 19:53

Creative Labs has a USB sound card (SoundBlaster X-Fi Go) which provides a stereo microphone input. Logitech and other manufacturers have similar USB to 3.5mm audio and SPDIF adaptors. A true 'line level' input (matching receiver 'tape out') is available using a dedicated USB device such as the ART PhonoPlus.
Revolver refit w/Rega RB301->Denon 301-Mk2->MF Pre->Marantz->PSB
twowheelin

United States of America

Postby jiiteepee » 02 Mar 2013 07:50

Nidhogg wrote:I would also like to know some other options. I have my turntable hooked up to my Denon AVC-2000 and would like some options as to how to connect it to my PC USB port.

As Denon AVC-2000 is analog only, any USB audio interface with two mono (or one stereo) line-level input ports is suitable for that connection. Denon specs can be helpful for to define the min quality reqiurements for the USB audio interface. Creative E-MU has few suitable, low budged USB audio interfaces, I could recommend.

jiiteepee
jiiteepee
contributor

Postby KentT » 10 May 2013 22:27

Creative is garbage. Annoying resampling and buggy, bloated drivers. Good for gaming, lousy for recording music.
KentT
long player
long player

Return to Vinyl Ripping