the home of the turntable

DIY Rega Brace project

on level ground

DIY Rega Brace project

Postby troutbum » 30 Nov 2012 20:41

Hey guys.

Now that I have a new deck of my own I've restarted an old project I worked on almost a year ago.
The drawing I made then was too thin for the 3-point mount that I have now on the P3-24 so I had to start all over again.

I finished it today and printed it in scale to try on the deck. This required a nerve wrecking dismount of the arm. I am now calming my nerves with a pint of Guiness =P~
I learned though that the RB301 (and I guess all arms with 3-point mounting) does not have the 32mm diameter on the cylinder that goes down in the plinth, on this one it is 22mm.

This is how it will look like, I will mark and drill the holes for the M3 screws on the 3-point mount after manufactory because the angles and measurements is just too damn hard to get on CAD.

Notice that the picture above shows the new design with smaller hole and narrower form compared to the following pictures.

The plan is to have the brace be laser cut out of 6081 hardened Aluminium, as soon as I can get someone near me too do it cheaply enough 8)

Big thanks to watercourse for giving me the proper measurements and replying to silly questions via e-mail.
Any suggestions that may improve the design is most appreciated, especially RP3/6 owners.

Cheers!
troutbum

Sweden

Re: DIY Rega Brace project

Postby RoDa » 30 Nov 2012 21:08

Looks cool, trout!

The original RP3-brace is 66mm wide across the centre cutout and I guess 2,5mm thick. Your shape is not like the original, it's wider across the centre than around the bearing and arm.

Good luck with your project, bet it's mighty cool once finished!

REGArds
RoDa
REGArds, RoDa
Rega RP6 | Rega Exact | Heed Questar MM |
Squeezebox Touch | Teddy Pardo TTouch PSU | Rega DAC |
Audionet SAM G2 | Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE |
RoDa

Norway

Postby troutbum » 30 Nov 2012 21:52

RoDa wrote:Your shape is not like the original, it's wider across the centre than around the bearing and arm.

Yes I've seen that, it was just to much work in the CAD program :roll:
The width is quite close with mine being 64mm.

Thanks for the measurements though. I am thinking 2mm Alu but that kinda depends on what I can get a hold of.
troutbum

Sweden

Postby watercourse » 01 Dec 2012 01:17

Wow, nice job!

Sorry about the confusion overthe arm post dimensions. I knew I should have given you more information or sent you the entire previous email thread instead of just my template. My bad.

The 32mm hole on my template was to accommodate the VTAF bushing. All Rega arms will fit a 22mm arm post hole. Sorry about that buddy.

PS I see you are not using audiophile scissors. Hmmm.
PPS I will have to send you a matching huge red purse loveseat to go with your other furniture... ;-)
WT Simplex, Shelter 501 II, DV20xl, Benz ACE SL > Aleph Ono, Bel Canto PL1/DAC3 > Pass X1 > XA30.5 > DeVore Nines
: Beyond measurements and theory, there's intuition and feeling:
watercourse
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby troutbum » 01 Dec 2012 07:54

watercourse wrote:Wow, nice job!

Sorry about the confusion overthe arm post dimensions. I knew I should have given you more information or sent you the entire previous email thread instead of just my template. My bad.

The 32mm hole on my template was to accommodate the VTAF bushing. All Rega arms will fit a 22mm arm post hole. Sorry about that buddy.

PS I see you are not using audiophile scissors. Hmmm.
PPS I will have to send you a matching huge red purse loveseat to go with your other furniture... ;-)

Well it's good to make some own trial and errors, one learns more that way :D
I was thinking it would be good not to have too much play around the arm post because you want it not to be able to move, right.
All though it might be enough with the three screws.

I've made two version, one with 32mm arm post hole and one with 23.
Maybe the 32mm actually should be 33mm to give it a little play?

Haha, I bet my other half would be thrilled. And I always enjoy a good loveseat :lol:
troutbum

Sweden

Postby troutbum » 01 Dec 2012 10:04

Ok, this is the latest design.
I've slimmed it down a bit more to give a more snug fit against the spacers on the arm mount and made the hole for the arm post (hopefully) the same as on the plinth.

I wish I could make it wider in the middle as the original brace but getting the start/end points and so fourth is really hard. This is my first time making CAD-design, and I ain't no mathematician. This will have to do.

If anyone happen to be good at CAD-design I'll happily share the files so it can be improved upon. I am designing it in LibreCAD so the files are *.dxf.
I just hope there is a way of converting this to something that the laser cutter can read. Any info on this would appreciated.
troutbum

Sweden

Postby Etnier » 01 Dec 2012 13:27

Aren't there two braces (top and bottom) in braced Rega turntables?
Rega RP6 plinth / TTPSU, Audiomods Series Five arm
Groovetracer delrin platter & reference sub
Tangospinner double pulley, Herbie's IsoBalls
Shelter 501-II / Soundsmith Level II
Threshold FET ten/e line and cartridge preamps
Essence cables, Threshold S350/e, Yamaha NS1000
Etnier

United States of America

Postby troutbum » 01 Dec 2012 14:18

Etnier wrote:Aren't there two braces (top and bottom) in braced Rega turntables?

Yes! But trials from watercourse seems to suggest that it sounds better with only the top one, but he used carbon fiber so it could be a difference.
The other problem is that it would make the tweak irreversible because:
1. I'd need to secure the brace beside the arm post, that would mean I'd need to drill holes and screw it into the plinth.
2. I'd would need to go trough the motor cover, and possibly need to rearrange in there because there might be junk in the way.

I'm kinda lazy that way... :oops:
troutbum

Sweden

Postby watercourse » 01 Dec 2012 16:20

troutbum wrote:
Etnier wrote:Aren't there two braces (top and bottom) in braced Rega turntables?

Yes! But trials from watercourse seems to suggest that it sounds better with only the top one, but he used carbon fiber so it could be a difference.
The other problem is that it would make the tweak irreversible because:
1. I'd need to secure the brace beside the arm post, that would mean I'd need to drill holes and screw it into the plinth.
2. I'd would need to go trough the motor cover, and possibly need to rearrange in there because there might be junk in the way.

I'm kinda lazy that way... :oops:

Regarding fixing a bottom brace - maybe RoDa can send more detailed shots of how this is done, but I dont think additional holes are needed. The three-point mount base screws can attach the bottom brace on the arm side, and the main bearing fixing nut and I believe one of the motor cover screws attach the other side of the bottom brace. From the pics that I saw online, the bottom brace does need to be trimmed to fit around the motor housing frame - so there is a notch cut out of the bottom brace shaped like an "L".
WT Simplex, Shelter 501 II, DV20xl, Benz ACE SL > Aleph Ono, Bel Canto PL1/DAC3 > Pass X1 > XA30.5 > DeVore Nines
watercourse
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby troutbum » 01 Dec 2012 18:57

watercourse wrote:Regarding fixing a bottom brace - maybe RoDa can send more detailed shots of how this is done, but I dont think additional holes are needed. The three-point mount base screws can attach the bottom brace on the arm side, and the main bearing fixing nut and I believe one of the motor cover screws attach the other side of the bottom brace. From the pics that I saw online, the bottom brace does need to be trimmed to fit around the motor housing frame - so there is a notch cut out of the bottom brace shaped like an "L".

For using the arm mount screws you'd have to make the drill trough-tweak and put bolts instead.
I can't find any pictures of the bottom brace, I saw one and thought it went through the motor cover but I could be wrong.
troutbum

Sweden

Postby RoDa » 01 Dec 2012 23:00

Pulled out the camera to assist my friends ;)

First, the bottom brace fixing in the arm-area.
How it's mounted? Beats me!
Looking closely I se some "dents" between the brace and plinth, but it doesn't look like screws.

Mystery Nr 1:

Looking from the arm towards the bearing.
There's no "L" watercourse, just the motor cover on top of the brace.

Closer look from the cover-brace overlap

The screw seems to go through the brace, or maybe just very very close to it.

There you are, guys. A couple of answers and a small mystery.....

REGArds
RoDa
REGArds, RoDa
Rega RP6 | Rega Exact | Heed Questar MM |
Squeezebox Touch | Teddy Pardo TTouch PSU | Rega DAC |
Audionet SAM G2 | Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE |
RoDa

Norway

Postby troutbum » 01 Dec 2012 23:17

Thanks a bunch, RoDa.
It seems either the bottom brace is glued under the arm or it just simply loose, stiff enough to hold in place from the sub-platter bolt.

But that motor cover mounting looks really shady, is there really a crevice between cover and plinth because of the brace?
My cover even seems to have a gasket against the plinth.

To clear this mystery once and for all we have no choice but to let you disassemble the entire brace :lol:
troutbum

Sweden

Postby watercourse » 01 Dec 2012 23:30

Thanks RoDa!

Based on my experience tearing apart my RB700 for a rewire, it looks like the standard rubber grommet/plug at the bottom of the arm is surrounded by another round piece and the brace itself. I wonder if this extra piece is rubber also, and might be used to friction-fit the brace?

Regarding the bottom brace: to be or not to be? I think I recall now that, because the frame around the motor is about 1/16", and because I didn't notch the bottom brace, it sat on top of the frame. I wondered if this was the cause of the bad sound?

Any other thoughts from folks?
watercourse
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby troutbum » 01 Dec 2012 23:48

watercourse wrote:Based on my experience tearing apart my RB700 for a rewire, it looks like the standard rubber grommet/plug at the bottom of the arm is surrounded by another round piece and the brace itself. I wonder if this extra piece is rubber also, and might be used to friction-fit the brace?

It looks like you can se the plinth between the arm pole and brace so I don't think that's it. I gotta say it looks exactly as on my P3-24. They might have something above the brace that goes into the plinth, but I doubt it.
troutbum

Sweden

Postby tomytoons » 02 Dec 2012 04:11

Well, cool!
I bet it is glued on by the Arm post.
It does look like the motor cover is backed off of the plinth over the brace area.
Kind of sloppy?
Pathos Classic One MKII, Clearaudio Emotion CMB Carbon Satisfy Arm, Usher CP6371, Monolithic/Modwright Mod & Custom PS, Cinmag stepup, ATOC9/ML II, Dyna 10X5, Marantz SA15 S2 Ltd., all "Silver Series" WyWires.
tomytoons
contributor

No Flag

Next

Return to Rega