the home of the turntable

Rega RP1 vs RP3?

on level ground

Rega RP1 vs RP3?

Postby DarkMaukka » 08 Sep 2012 11:44

Hello!

I bought the Rega RP1 with performance pack about a year a go (later I changed the Bias2 to Ortofon 2M Red and I think this change made the RP1 more better). It is my first turntable and I like it. But, as you might know, sometimes one might wonder if one should upgrade it's equipment.

I have been thinking of trying the RP3, because at least the RP1 has been a decent table. But then again, I don't know if the RP3 is a good enough upgrade. One thing that has bother me a bit with the RP1 is the wobble issues. I have seen videos about the issue and I don't think mine wobble issue is that bad, but certainly the platter is not completely free from this issue.

I have read the product information for the RP3 and know the specifications, but I have not seen/heard the RP3 live. Is it really that much better?

(My other gear includes Naim Nait5-i2 amplifier, Bowers and Wilkins CM1 speakers and Cambridge Audio 540p phono pre-amplifier.)
DarkMaukka

Finland

Re: Rega RP1 vs RP3?

Postby Eoin » 08 Sep 2012 15:05

I have only seen the RP1, never heard it. It strikes me as being a worthy entry deck and good so far as it goes but if you want better it can be had alright.

You've got options bit budget will drive it maybe? You might be better if you want to upgrade to go as far as you can now, maybe consider a used deck next otherwise it'll be expensive.

If you took the Red off the RP1, put the bias back on and sold that then you could get a used '3' of some sort without a cart and fit the red. That would be cheap.

Or for more budget consider a 5 or maybe an upgraded 3. Alternatively if you get really keen maybe a Michell deck.

Depends how muh you're getting out of the vinyl and how much you can spend. With that amp an speakers you'd be fine to get really quite a good deck.

Personally I wouldn't trade the RP1 for a new RP3 simply down to the expense. It will be a reasonably big upgrade.
Eoin

Postby DarkMaukka » 08 Sep 2012 17:49

Eoin, thank you for your thoughts.

If I sell my RP1, I will definetely sell it with Bias2 so that I could buy the new(or used) table and continue using the 2M Red.
DarkMaukka

Finland

Postby Eoin » 08 Sep 2012 20:17

If you posted a wanted ad on here for a nicely upgraded 3 you might find somebody would offer you one. Could be a very cost effective upgrade.
Eoin

Postby denisnelson » 10 Sep 2012 09:42

Too small of a jump

If i were you... save/wait for a couple more months and upgrade to a mid-level turntable..

Since you're getting the itch to upgrade.. why go from budget-table to budget-table?
denisnelson

Philippines

Postby nabil » 10 Sep 2012 15:58

I agree with denisnelson, would the RP3 be better than your RP1-yes absolutely, but it probably won't be long before you get the upgrade bug again. Save up some money and then start looking for a good used P5-or an upgraded P25, both would represent a significant upgrades-
nabil

United States of America

Postby DarkMaukka » 10 Sep 2012 16:44

Thank you for your honest opinions denisnelson and nabil. But I am still wondering, where does the "budget" line end with Rega? Is RP6 also a budget table? Or is it mid-level?

So you actually think that the P5 is that much better than the RP3? There seems to be some used P5-tables available, so would that be better choice than RP3? Then again, used P5 seems to be a bit more expensive than the RP3 and almost as expensive as the RP6.
DarkMaukka

Finland

Postby nabil » 11 Sep 2012 01:26

DarkMaukka,

By definition a company can only have one "entry" level turntable; Rega's entry level table is the RP1-by moving up the Rega line you gain closer and closer to the qualities found in the top of the line table: the P9. Simply put, the P5 is closer to Rega's ultimate expression of vinyl playback than the RP3; additionally I believe that the RP3 is closer to the RP1 than it is to the P5. The P5 was Rega's midline table, it has been replaced by the RP6. Hope this helps.
nabil

United States of America

Postby DarkMaukka » 17 Sep 2012 08:03

Thanks nabil,

I do understand the definition of "entry" level, but to me it seemed strange that the RP3 was described as budget level table (because of the fact that RP3 should be more advanced table than the RP1, that is the entry/budget table).

But surely enough, your comparison of tables does make sense. Perhaps pre-owned RP6 or P5 could be nice, but then again also the RP3 does offer better upgrade paths than the RP1. We'll see how this ends...
DarkMaukka

Finland

Postby thisismusic » 20 Aug 2013 15:41

Hi,

Can I ask what you bought in the end?

As I currently have the RP1 and I'm considering buying the RP3 but reading this thread it doesn't like worthwhile?

Thanks
thisismusic

Great Britain

Postby DarkMaukka » 24 Aug 2013 18:01

thisismusic wrote:Hi,

Can I ask what you bought in the end?

As I currently have the RP1 and I'm considering buying the RP3 but reading this thread it doesn't like worthwhile?

Thanks

I bought the RP3.

I must say, I did have some problems with the RP1. The platter had the "wobbling" issue and the tonearm drifted a bit when the needle did not touch the record.

The RP3 did not have any of these issues. I think it was a good overall upgrade: The platter feels more of a quality product and also the tonearm "feels" and works better.

The audible difference is something that is hard to describe. The cartridge is the same as I had with RP1 (Ortofon 2M Red). But I do think the sound is more "fuller" and at the same time precise. I did not expect huge improvements regarding to sound right away, but it seemed reasonable to upgrade the turntable first and then upgrade the other parts of the system including the cartridge and phono stage.

I would upgrade again, if I had to make the decision again.
DarkMaukka

Finland

Postby RP3user » 24 Aug 2013 20:42

I've only heard an RP1 at a Rega dealers and I wasn't particularly impressed with it. Having said that I wasn't impressed with the the P5, RP3 or RP6 either. It was only because a friend had a modded Rega deck which sounded great that I looked at Rega decks at all. I had the latter 3 decks at home over a bank holiday weekend a while back on an extended loan for me and a few friends to pass the time with. All 3 were tried using a 2M Black cartridge with we found the RP3 and 6 to be better than the P5 and could only put this down to the fact that the 3 and 6 use the RB303 arm. The 3 and 6 were very close performance wise with the 6 just having the edge over the 3 which we put down to the heavier platter.
RP3user

Great Britain

Postby stevebrock » 24 Aug 2013 21:59

I thought the step from RP1/OM5E to RP3/Elys2 was pretty worthwhile, more bass with loads of detail. I soon got the itch and got an RP6/Exact another good step up!
Save you money and get an RP6
Rega RP6 / Nagaoka MP200 / GT Sub-Platter > Rega Elicit R, Rega RS3
Mac Mini/Rega Apollo R > Rega DAC
stevebrock

Great Britain

Postby stevebrock » 24 Aug 2013 22:00

BTW the RB303 tone arm is well regarded, I reckon the RP40 will be a great deck!
Rega RP6 / Nagaoka MP200 / GT Sub-Platter > Rega Elicit R, Rega RS3
Mac Mini/Rega Apollo R > Rega DAC
stevebrock

Great Britain

Postby Blaine78 » 27 Aug 2013 06:04

RP3 is a big step up from RP1.
...included low vibration 24v motor, heavier glass platter, better tone arm, ability to add a TT PSU (without the need to upgrade motor first), and top/bottom braces. If you got the money, reckon the RP3 is a no-brainer.
Rega RP6/Edwards Little Belter & Nagaoka MP-150 | Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC | Luxman L-505u | PMC TB2i
Blaine78

Australia

Return to Rega