the home of the turntable

Ed Saunders

the thin end of the wedge

Ed Saunders

Postby khenegar » 01 Sep 2012 17:36

I was informed by him he is no longer in the stylus replacement business , no idea what he is going into.
khenegar

United States of America

Re: Ed Saunders

Postby Emref » 12 Oct 2012 20:42

khenegar wrote:I was informed by him he is no longer in the stylus replacement business , no idea what he is going into.

I got from him months ago a needle for a Shure V15IV, the poor box, the sibilance, the lack of bass, the bad tracking in normal records, is in accordance with the new you have ben informed.

Regards
Alberto
Emref
contributor

Argentina

Postby hugo casassanta » 13 Oct 2012 02:27

Emref wrote:
khenegar wrote:I was informed by him he is no longer in the stylus replacement business , no idea what he is going into.

I got from him months ago a needle for a Shure V15IV, the poor box, the sibilance, the lack of bass, the bad tracking in normal records, is in accordance with the new you have ben informed.

Regards
Alberto

The same thing happened to me, Alberto. Plus, the needle (a VN45HE as well) lost its tip in the middle of a playback after 10 months' use :!: . Looks like his business is currently being run by a lady by the name of Trisha Horn, as the old website is still active.
hugo casassanta

Postby lensmanMK2 » 13 Oct 2012 21:26

i bought a shure 95 from "ed saunders" on ebay,but the paypal name is trica horn.

terrible siblance on certian records and to make things worse stylus bottomed out at the standard tracking force after about 2 months of light use.

never again.
lensmanMK2

Postby Emref » 13 Oct 2012 22:54

100 bucks in the trash :x
Regards
Alberto
Emref
contributor

Argentina

Postby gg383 » 14 Oct 2012 06:41

There have been some other posts about Ed Saunders recently, somewhere in the past few years Ed let another company buy in and the quality of the stylus's suffered a lot. I believe Tricia Horn is relative of Ed and she is trying to get the company up and running again but I think it's too late. His good name was ruined by people that bought in and wrecked the product and company. This all took a large toll on Ed himself and he just retired and got out of it. It's a shame but it seems to be the American way to do things now!!
gg383

United States of America

Postby GP49 » 14 Oct 2012 07:35

In another forum, Ed Saunders wrote, on 26AUG2012:

Greetings Friends, Customers and all audio enthusiasts! My name is Ed Saunders and for 38 years, I have been a supplier of quality diamond styli. I have now retired from that business and while I wish it had been a pleasant separation, it was not. I made it abundantly clear that I would not sanction any business using my name and reputation that I was not involved in. So, for the first time since 1974, Ed Saunders products do NOT come with my personal endorsement nor with my personal guarantee. Thank you to all! ~Ed

and then on 27AUG2012:

I am no longer in production nor am I associated with anyone selling styli using the name / brand Ed Saunders. There is virtually no possibility that will change at any time in the future. Despite having to justify my procedures and policies to my own company, I am quite busy with my other business interests of refined petroleum, motorsports products, credit card processing and real estate. Thanks to all for many great, great years! ~Ed

And on 29AUG2012:

Further to my earlier post. I have retired from the stylus business and turned over full operation, licensing, brand and trade names, etc. to Trisha Horn. Trisha and I have had pointed discussion about the future and she assures me that she will maintain the same high standards you have come to expect from Ed Saunders. I have made all of my supply sources available to Trisha and have personally facilitated the transfer of accounts and purchasing ability to her name. Should you have any questions, please feel free to email me CNH320Georgia@gmail.com or call me 404-402-5283.
GP49
banned

Postby Emref » 14 Oct 2012 15:15

When I bought my Ed Saunders VN45HE a few months ago the mails were signed by him, and also some advices about tracking force, I thought I was dealing with him, now I realize a very different thing,and as I dealed directly trough his webpage I canĀ“t even make a file trough EBAY/PAYPAL; anyway I hope enough people read this post and do no make the same mistake.
Regards
Alberto
Emref
contributor

Argentina

Postby ripblade » 14 Oct 2012 15:48

I bought a Red Ed a couple of years ago because I needed a cart with an available 3 mil stylus for 78s. While I was at it, I ordered the .3 x.7 mil elliptical and .6 mil conical. I was under the impression these were all made by Pfansteihl, but I could be wrong.

The elliptical suffered some sibilance on vocals but was otherwise ok. It didn't get much use other than for a few dozen thrift store albums, and the sibilance might well have been due to the condition of the records. The conical was much better in this regard despite the tip azimuth being off slightly, and actually sounded better than the elliptical, imo. The 3 mil conical was a nude sapphire and performed quite well.

Overall I was happy for the money spent, but I liked the Red Ed enough that to me it's worth buying higher quality needles for it....if only I could find them.
How boring it would be, this endeavor
If all we heard was "perfect sound forever"
ripblade

Postby hugo casassanta » 15 Oct 2012 03:13

ripblade wrote:I bought a Red Ed a couple of years ago because I needed a cart with an available 3 mil stylus for 78s. While I was at it, I ordered the .3 x.7 mil elliptical and .6 mil conical. I was under the impression these were all made by Pfansteihl, but I could be wrong.

The elliptical suffered some sibilance on vocals but was otherwise ok. It didn't get much use other than for a few dozen thrift store albums, and the sibilance might well have been due to the condition of the records. The conical was much better in this regard despite the tip azimuth being off slightly, and actually sounded better than the elliptical, imo. The 3 mil conical was a nude sapphire and performed quite well.

Overall I was happy for the money spent, but I liked the Red Ed enough that to me it's worth buying higher quality needles for it....if only I could find them.

http://stylus.export-japan.com/product_ ... cts_id=921

There! Not really an upgrade but definately a trustworthy replacement.
hugo casassanta

Postby cafe latte » 15 Oct 2012 23:24

Explains a few things.. Someone posted here recently regarding finding on ebay Ed Saunders replacement stylus for Stanton 681 carts. The listing was very careful with its discription for example it said the stylus was "Stereohedron styled", exotic cut. That is just too careful wording for someone who wants to be completely transparent IMO. The listing also said that the moving iron mass had been increased to boost output which IMO defeats the object of the principal of using MI in the first place as you want that mass to be as low as possible.
Hmm
CL
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby ripblade » 16 Oct 2012 00:35

hugo casassanta wrote:
ripblade wrote:Overall I was happy for the money spent, but I liked the Red Ed enough that to me it's worth buying higher quality needles for it....if only I could find them.

http://stylus.export-japan.com/product_ ... cts_id=921

There! Not really an upgrade but definately a trustworthy replacement.

Thanks. That's the conical...I was hoping to find an elliptical that isn't sibilant.

I did find this one just now from LPGear:

http://www.lpgear.com/product/SYO029DE.html

I wouldn't be surprised if it was made by Jico, either. I found an SAS with boron cantilever for the lowly Realistic R47xt at LPGear. Obviously made by Jico, but it's not listed on their website. It seems LPGear are having custom assemblies made for them by Jico.

I should enquire, at least. They mention a highly polished tip, which the Pfanstiehl definitely is not!
How boring it would be, this endeavor
If all we heard was "perfect sound forever"
ripblade

Return to Cartridges and Preamps