the home of the turntable

Dual CS 2110 restoration

twice the fun

Dual CS 2110 restoration

Postby Electone » 29 Aug 2012 18:45

Hello. Long time lurker, first time poster (at least in a looooonngg time).

I am getting back into vinyl after having sold my Thorens TD-166 mkII a few years back. My first purchase was a mint Technics SL-D3 which has been a fabulous performer. But, I've always liked searching for bargins and I think I found one the other day: a Dual CS 2110. I owned one back in 1987 and being a teenager at the time, I ruined it. I hadn't seen one since that time and was able to purchase a decent condition example a few days ago. It had a Shure Me95ED cartridge mounted and the asking price was $25.00. More than worth it for the cartridge alone.

I completely tore it apart - removed the drive mechanism so I could wash the chassis with Simple Green degreaser and a garden hose. I must have come from a smoker's home because a lot of yellow came off of it. I polished the lid and it came out very nicely. Cleaned the belt with Rubber Renue, fixed the arm-lift mechanism, adjusted speed, removed all the old oil from the spindle slot and put in fresh light machine oil (spins beautifully now), installed new RCA jacks on the existing patch cables and finally installed a Shure M70EJ cartridge that I had lying around until my new needle for the Me95ED comes in.

It sounds very nice although it is very susceptible to vibrations (a light tap on the chassis is immediately heard). Also, the tonearm wiring is extremely thin and putting your fingers anywhere near the wires results in hum. Looks like a tonearm re-wiring is in order. Going to have to check to see what the cartridge overhang for Dual is as well.

Anyways, here are some photos and a video as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQIJPn6LKGU
Electone

Canada

Re: Dual CS 2110 restoration

Postby jimboyep » 29 Aug 2012 19:03

Nice job on your restoration project... It's very satisfying to take something that was discarded and make it work again.
jimboyep

United States of America

Re: Dual CS 2110 restoration

Postby joepotter2110 » 07 Apr 2014 23:49

I'm having a problem with my 2110. Do you know the function of the two screws under the tone arm. The rear screw seems to have altered the anti-skate somehow so that there is a strange dragging... Dont really know what to do.
joepotter2110

Canada

Return to Dual