the home of the turntable

RB300 Lifting Arm

on level ground

RB300 Lifting Arm

Postby northernlight » 29 Aug 2012 14:40

Hi all,

I am new on here and have recently bought a second hand Planar 3 from the late 90's i think.

I am having a bit of trouble with the lifting arm at the moment. When you pull the arm up, it lifts smoothly and then lowers smoothly, however it will not lift enough to get the cartridge above the record. The cartridge is an ortofon 2m red, and i have even tried putting a 2mm spacer unter the tone arm to help, but it is still too low.

I have also looked around the web where people suggest you can undo the small hex grub screw and simply raise the plastic arm cap slightly. However mine seems to be stuck fast. I have even tried a pair of need nose pliers gently hoding the brass piston arm and trying to prise the head up, but to no avail. Is there something i am doing wrong?

Thanks
northernlight

Re: RB300 Lifting Arm

Postby Etnier » 29 Aug 2012 18:24

The length of your tool (sorry) can make a difference. The longer your hex wrench, the more torque you can bring to bear on the screw. NOT the 'handle' part, the longer part of the "L".
Rega RP6 plinth / TTPSU, Audiomods Series Five arm
Groovetracer delrin platter & reference sub
Lim double pulley, Herbie's IsoBalls
Shelter 501-II / Soundsmith Level II
Threshold FET ten/e line and cartridge preamps
Essence cables, Threshold S350/e, Yamaha NS1000
Etnier

United States of America

Postby salamonscream » 29 Aug 2012 21:24

Hi
The cueing platform is a very tight fit on the piston. It will require a good pull to move it upwards. maybe even twisting can help sometimes and make sure that the grubscrew is lose and not pushing on the piston.

Don't forget to tighten the grubscrew afterwards!!

Regards
salamonscream

Great Britain

Postby Alec124c41 » 29 Aug 2012 22:26

You might consider putting a spacer under the arm mount, to level the arm when playing, and solve this problem at the same time. A headstock spacer from a bicycle shop is inexpensive. 2 mm to 4 mm should do it. The Rega cartridges are shorter than most.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Canada

Postby northernlight » 29 Aug 2012 23:15

Thanks for the tips.

I have tried loosening the grub screw and even totally removing! The cueing platform still resolutely refuses to budge an inch. I have tried holding the piston arm in place and then trying to turn the lifting platform side to side to free up and all it does is slightly rotate the whole mechanism. I fear if I force any harder I will break it.

Might just have to go for a second 2mm spacer under the whole tonearm as suggested!
northernlight

Return to Rega Forum

Design and Content © Vinyl Engine 2002-2014

faq | site policy | advertising